D-Link DI-624 Connection Troubles

btb103

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had my D-Link DI-624 for about a month now and since the beginning have been having intermittent connection problems. The connection just drops and the only way to solve it is to physically reset the router. At first it was happening every hour or so, now every 15-20 minutes it's going out. My computer is connected by cat5 and my roommate connects on his macbook via wireless; it cuts out for the both of us. When connected directly to the modem there is no connection problem at all.

To try and solve the problem I first talked my internet provider, SBC DSL, and they told me to change the modem to PPPoE mode, then do the same on the router. I tried this and got no connection at all so reverted to the original setup Dynamic IP setup. Next I called D-Link and they told me to change the MTU rate from 1500 to 1452 and turn off the online game mode. This seemed to work but it eventually started cutting out again. I haven't called them back just because I've been too lazy and it takes forever to get through the holding and whatnot.

I also know that it's not my computer or ethernet card because I just upgraded my system and switched from using a PCI NIC card to my onboard Nforce adapter. Does anyone know what might be going on and what I can do to fix this?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

You also said another computer was losing connection, so your nic definitely isn't the problem.

Is the router yours or your ISP's? I've got the 624 myself, as well as the 624+ (wireless version) from my ISP. I used the 624 with Roadrunner for a year or so with no issues like that. If the router is your ISP's router, then they need to come and replace it. otherwise, go get one from the store and try it out. you can always return that if the connection dropping persists.

Mine is also the 624+, I forgot to mention that part. The first one I bought was from a seller on Amazon Marketplace and it was locked to Verizon DSL customers so after getting my money back for that (props to the A-Z Guarantee) I bought a fresh, new one from J&R Electronics. I suppose I could still return it but I think the problem has something more to do with improper settings... but maybe I'm wrong?

Try upgrading the firmware. A new revision was just released back in September. It fixed some of the issues I was experiencing with my old 624.

correction to my post above, the 604 is the one I used with RR. the 624 is the one I have with verizon currently. not that it matters really...;)

i also have a DI-624 revision B and am having the same problem as i loose connection very easily i have a laptop and 3 other computer hard wired to it and when one cuts out they all cut out. I cannot seem to fix it?

are you runing file sharing software.. this will cause disconnects on this model due to all the connections to your pc from the internet,.

The D-Link isn't constantly restarting, is it? My 624 would restart itself every so often when I left the wireless channel auto-set on. It used to be fine until too many neighbors installed theirs within range.

Try temporarily disabling the wireless in order to narrow the possibilities.

Back