Cyberlink PowerDVD, DIE DIE DIE

FrEaKy

[H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy
So, I have PowerDVD Version 7 build something something something, last version they made available for 7. Anywhoo, I got it when I got my Blu-ray drive for my desktop. Been working great, had no issues at all.

Purchased Puss in Boots on blu-ray cause me and my son loved it in the theater, why not. Tried it, PowerDVD says, oops, out of date, lets update Yes / NO, so of course, I hit, Yes update the biatch!

Says update complete.

Hit play again, oops, out of date, lets update Yes / NO.

This happens about 20 times in a row, before I throw my hands up in the air, cause im frustrated and annoyed.

Look it up online, everyone having same issues.

Check Cyberlink's site, they say, sorry, we no longer support 7 cause were on version 11 now and heck we dont even support 10, if you want blurays to work, pay $100 and get the next version.

WTF!

This is bull crap.

So I spend the next hour or two looking for a free solution to my blu-ray watching woes, cause I REALLY dont want to purchase a new version of the crap software EVERY TIME they update it with another "feature".

Any good blu-ray players out there for free or up to $20?

What the heck is DAPlayer? I see it, but I dont see good reviews of it.

Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre seems to be the only other viable option. There are no free/open source one's that I could find that can play actual encrypted BluRays.

Try VLC. They are breaking into blue-ray in the new version.

DA Player sounds iffy:
Digiarty has some nice software but they are not a company to be trusted. That's kind of a double standard coming from me because I post their freebies all the time (see my front page deals). I would not let them have my credit card number nor would I let any software update. They have a history of having several different company names under the same umbrella or affiliations with other companies- Wondershare, WinX, etc. Their more well known notorious works include giveawayoftheday products where they spam the votes to make it look like they have thousands of positive votes. They also spam forums with their page links and product info. That's kinda kids' stuff that is not so bad- just more annoying than anything.

Then there's the other problems, rumors, allegations, etc that the company has been involved in-

1. affiliated with Iobit, the company caught stealing signatures from Malwarebytes
2. their dvd ripper is allegedly cracked versions of Slyfox brand
3. affiliated wwith SoThink company, the ones who allegedly had the Firefox add-on trojan earlier this year

About all the above is just rumor except for the forum spamming/vote rigging. So proceed at your own risk. I would think there are capable free movie viewers available besides this one though, maybe VLC or MPC, although I suppose the ability to remove region restrictions would be a plus. If I were you though I would run the Digiarty player with limited right or in a sandbox and only update if really needed...maybe run the program in joebox.org first?

YMMMV.

Last edited:
As far as i know any software to play bluerays requires a license from Sony, hence there are no legit free blue ray players.
Which is also why windows doesn't play them natively, would cost Microsoft an arm and a leg.

The problem is not only that there are not real free Blu-ray players but also that there are not many commercial ones. You can read about all of them here but your choice is practically not big cause PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theatre are the best options and PowerDVD is updated quite often (there is version 12 now). So, if you do not want to fall in the trap of frequent updates, TMT remains probably the only option...

Power DVD is a piece of shit. I always had to fight with it to watch Blu Ray content. Worked fine for the most part for DVDs. Then one day it wouldn't do that anymore. I've reinstalled, upgraded, etc. and it's still shit.

I went to Total Media Theatre and never looked back. Works fine.

Back