Cyber Power™ BC1285C UPS only $119.98, free s/h

Great deal on a 750w UPS (1285VA) w/ interface software and a LCD diagnostic panel.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&langId=-1&productId=148360&cmArea=SEARCH

$119.98 with free next-day shipping. Bought one and tried it out already. Eight protected outlets (4 battery, the other 4 surge only). Phone / fax / modem / network protection PLUS Coax / Cable / DSS protection. Includes PowerPanel Plus™ Software. The LCD has multiple display modes and will display exactly how many watts your rig is using and how long the battery will power things with that load. :D

I'm running the O/C'd computer in my sig and a stock 1700XP off the UPS and together with an LCD panel, they are only showing 405watts usage. :p

Never even heard of Cyber Power UPS units. All I can think of CyberPowerPC. Are they one of the better UPS makers?

In case anyone wonders, these UPS' with the LCD readout can be set to have the entire display turn off after xx seconds. No need to tape a cover over the display if it's in your room or something. :D

The circuit city one appears out of stock online at least. I see no AVR listed on this one but I haven't dug up manufacturers site yet.

The illumination of the LCD on this CyberPower UPS does blank off after a few seconds in the as-shipped mode. But the on/off button at the top is illuminated when "on" and stays lit. It is definitely noticeable (about the size of a nickel and glows light blue), if that bothers anyone (doesn't me). Shouldn't bother anyone into case-modding, i.e. LED-lit fans, etc.

Although I don't have any experience with this particular model, we use CyberPower UPS's almost exclusively at my work. We've had very good luck with them so far and excellent customer support with we received a dead one (allowed us to go a to a distribution center nearby and swap it out the same day).

Never even heard of Cyber Power UPS units. All I can think of CyberPowerPC. Are they one of the better UPS makers?

Doubt it, but I believe they're the #2 UPS maker and generally much cheaper than APC. I got one from BB last year for 79 or 99 bucks (no LCD). Rarely need it, but it has saved me once or twice.

Heh, you doubt they're the one of the top UPS makers, but you rank them #2? :p

You can also go to fleabay and get a $20 off $100 coupon for a few bucks and make this an even better deal

Heh, you doubt they're the one of the top UPS makers, but you rank them #2? :p

I doubt it, because they have completely different websites and are different corporations. One is Cyberpower PC and the other is Cyberpower systems. One is based in California and the other is based in Minnesota.

Maybe in quantity, not quality. :D

Of that, I have no idea. All I want from my UPS is that it keeps the power up when there's a short outage. I've used APC before, and I can't honestly say that it worked any better (or worse) than the Cyberpower. Eventually the batteries go dead and you either replace the UPS or the battery. I suspect most do the former.

But if you prefer APC (or some other brand), it doesn't matter to me. My next UPS could be an APC. I won't know till I buy it.

I doubt it, because they have completely different websites and are different corporations. One is Cyberpower PC and the other is Cyberpower systems. One is based in California and the other is based in Minnesota.

Huh? We weren't talking about CyberPowerPC anymore.

EDIT: Ah, I see the confusion. I didn't mean to connect CPPC to being a UPS maker. Meant Cyber Power made me think of CPPC and how awful they seem from what I've read.

how long do the batteries in ups's last?

might be a deal maker or breaker for me ;)

From the website regarding the UPS in this thread:
FirstBullet said:
Up to 145 minutes of battery backup

;)

Not meant to run for days. They're mainly to keep the computer running during an outage to allow you to finish up, save, and shut down.

This one does have the AVR. The reason this is so cheap is because it is discontinued. It is still a great buy though. I have the 900 model. It will power my rig for 17 mins before going out. Thats including cable modem, router, computer and LCD. I bought mine mainly for the AVR. My system has been extreamly stable and thats all I wanted.

I bought a CyberPower myself and I am very happy with it. It has saved me a half dozen times at least and at a very reasonable price.

how long would this power a router and cable modem, and wireless router?

how long would this power a router and cable modem, and wireless router?

I'm going to have to say a rather good amount of time. A consumer grade router, wireless router, and modem should not draw all that much power when compared to a server..

I have a version of this without the LCD screen and I have been very happy with it. Silly name, serious battery backup/avr.;)

Well since I do work at staples, and happen to read the box, It said 3-6 years for battery. I could be wrong.
It depends on several factors, including what temperature the batteries are kept at (high and low temperatures reduce the lifespan), how often they are cycled, and whether they are discharged all the way when cycled (that's bad for SLA batteries).

A UPS with dead batteries isn't useless by any means.

Back