• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cutting motherboard tray.

Trendy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
199
I have a thermaltake armor seires, which doesn't allow much in terms of wiring schemes because the holes on the inside of the case are MUCH too small.

My mission is to cut out separate holes for my wires in the motherboard tray.

What tool would be appropriate (and not too expensive) for me to use?
 
I'd have to say that would depend on the size of holes you're cutting, and the material (sorry, don't know your case, and too lazy to look it up! ;) ). For smaller (1" & below), a hole saw would probably be best. If you're cutting aluminum, especially, you could probably get away with a high speed steel, versus bi-metallic, hole saw.

If you want a hole bigger than that, pick up a nibbler cutter (like this one), and do it. Steel is a bit harder to do with one of those, and you'll definitely earn some forearm muscles using it, but I did an 8"x10" window in steel with one of those, for my very first mod, so a 2 or 3 inch hole would definitely be possible. Plus, you can cut corners with it if you're so inclined. :)

Definitely, whatever you use to cut the holes, make certain you file off any and all sharp edges, and then line them with something to keep from cutting your wires! I can't stress that enough!! Electrical tape works, or you can use some c-strip moulding, like you'll find here.

Hope that helps! :D
 
What tool would be appropriate (and not too expensive) for me to use?

What size hole(s)? You could use a drill with a bit for small holes (a bit for metal - don't use a cheap bit that can only do wood without dulling easily). A hole saw bit can be used in the drill for larger circular holes. If you need a rectangular hole, a Dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel would do. You could also use a drill to create a starter hole and then a nibbler to cut any shaped hole. Relatively easy if the tray is aluminum, tougher if steel.
 
Thanks, by the feel of the motherboard tray, it's quite thick. I'm thinking about getting a dremel and just cutting a large chunk out of both the mobo tray and the back side panel, thus creating a new window.

But I digress. Issue at hand, I want all my wires to be just nubs hanging out of the sockets (completely hidden for the most part).

So, if I were to purchase a rotary cutting tool, would that work out for me?
 
i have the armor as well, the thing is pretty thick and i believe its steel so i was thinking maybe a little rotary hand saw, ya know the ones doctors use to cut people open, lol
 
i have the armor as well, the thing is pretty thick and i believe its steel so i was thinking maybe a little rotary hand saw, ya know the ones doctors use to cut people open, lol

Haha!

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I think I can pick up a window kit, rotary tool, some tubing stuff, and maybe an extra set of EXTRA long wires for under $150-200
 
Hole saw and/or rotary tool ..... (Dremel, air powered die grinder, or the like).

 
Back
Top