Cutting circle in lexan with a dremel?

dtwhite

n00b
I need to make a fan hole / mount in lexan for the window and the only real tool I have on hand is a dremel. I don't have a power drill, so buying a hole saw wouldn't work. Should I try to get a circle cutter at Home Depot, or would that not cut deep enough to make the hole? Is it unfeasible to use the dremel anyway because of molten plastic? Thanks for the help. This is for a 120mm fan, by the way.

it's gonna be pretty damned hard to cut a nice circle in plexi with a dremel. I'm sure there are people who have done it, but you gotta go really slow and use a slow speed setting on the dremel. Once you start melting the plexi, it's just going to seal up the hole you just cut.

u can rent a drill from Home Depot for like $7 a day or something like that i think

That's a really good point on renting a drill. Still, I would have to buy a hole saw which would cost about twice as much if not more than buying a circle cutter. Would a circle cutter not do the job? Sorry for being so confused, I am working on my first mod.

My Dremel came with a circle cutter ... I would assume that would work with the bit they have for cutting drywall. If you melt the plastic, go over it later with a file or small sandpaper disc in the Dremel to clean up the edge.

That's IMHO, BTW

EDIT: If this is your only / expensive piece of plexi, The Home Depot / Lowes carries sheets for < $5. I cannot reccommend enough that you do a test run first.

Cant you kinda make your own circle cutting bit? How about drilling a hole in the center where the circle should be, put a screw into that hole and attach a string or something more rigid (dont really know since I have never cut lexan) and then attach that string to your dremel and then just do a quick circle around that using the screw and string as a guide?

a circle cutter on a dremel might not make the prettiest hole in the world, but it can always be sanded later. you can also get a 1/8th inch endmill and put it in the dremel and cut a hole.

Im sure the dremel thing I mentioned will make a accurate circle but with rough edges which can be sanded. However, you may not have to sand it being as im sure this is some type of framework around your 120mm fan that would cover it completely.

if you do what aarong suggests you will need to make sure you use two strings (one for the top and one for the bottom) and you will need to make sure that the dremel is plumb or you won't get a straight cut. I have never cut Lexan, but have used this method as a "poor-man's holesaw" for things like cardboard and drywall. Someone earlier mentioned getting extra pieces. I say just give it a try, or as someone mentioned earlier, rent a hole saw.

Just cut the circle. I'm pretty sure that would work well. Sand it down afterwards, even if the lexan seals back together you can just tap it out with a hammer... Shouldnt be too hard. Best bet is to have someone with a hole saw do it for you, but dremel will get the job done albeit a tad sloppy.

Sounds like some interesting solutions here.

I'd like to see how this turns out.

I'm thinking I will use the string method to draw the circle then just go at it with the dremel. I'm pretty good at staynig in the lines, and I will keep it on low speed as to avoid meltage.

No matter what you do, buy some similar thickness plexi from home depot (or lowes, whatever) and practice first before you cut your case window.
-PHiZ

Well what I already got was a small rectangle about 11x14 from Home Depot. Forget how much it was, though. I should probably see if I can get some scrap plexi.

Its really easy to find, just dumpster dive. I got about a square fot of 1/8in thick plexi for about $25 at a local home depot like place.

Back