Customizing user access in XP

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm currently studying for the 70-270 and have the MS self-paced training book. I skimmed the entire chapter 7 on setting up users and see some mention on how a member of the "user" group can "perform only the tasks for which they have been specifically granted rights".. ok but I see nowhere else in this chapter on HOW to exactly do this!! Just say I set up a user and made them a member of the group "user" only. When they log in, they won't even be able to double click on the system time, it will tell them they have no access. Ok so as an administrator where do I go to modify the access level of the "user" group to grant them access to this and all of the other rights and resources in XP. I am familiar with the group policy editor, and if that is where you set up the access, how do you tie it to a specific group or user account?

Edit: I found the information on Local Policies, which is close to what I'm referring to although I do not see anything which specifically allows or prohibits users from installing applications.

Thanks

This is explained in WINDOWS HELP. Look under assigning group policy or "assigning IPSEC policies to groups." The default groups(admin,power users, etc) have default policies (preset) which can also be found explained in the windows help. I believe you start in active directory users and groups , right click your domain and choose properties and then the group policy tab.

For non doamain choose administative tools/local security policy.

Phaedrus said:
This is explained in WINDOWS HELP. Look under assigning group policy or "assigning IPSEC policies to groups." The default groups have default policies. I believe you start in active directory users and groups in, right click your domain and choose properties and then the group policy tab.

ok thanks, we have no domain here though, so each policy would be set on each user pc :rolleyes:

I edited original post to include non domain while you were responding to my post... weird...

Back