Customizable controller let's you configure controls

Once you go keyboard and mouse there's no going back. I really appreciate it when emulators like RPCS3 actually include keyboard+mouse support, as I enjoy that better than a gamepad.
A keyboard and mouse sucks for gaming on the couch. I used to love keyboard and mouse but I really can't go back. Sitting at a desk for gaming for me is a dead deal.

A keyboard and mouse sucks for gaming on the couch. I used to love keyboard and mouse but I really can't go back. Sitting at a desk for gaming for me is a dead deal.
That's a desk/chair problem. Has nothing to do with keyboard and mouse vs controller.

That said, I still do prefer controllers for certain games. Mainly racing and older style RPGs.

Couch setup matters as well, having one that reclines at the proper distance and angle to the TV, along with a good gaming wireless KB/M setup can make all the difference. The setup is important (and can be cost prohibitive), but the slower and less accurate movements when playing FPSes and RPGs with a controller make me feel handicapped. For the platformers, racing games, and specific RPGs, I definitely prefer controllers.

Couch setup matters as well, having one that reclines at the proper distance and angle to the TV, along with a good gaming wireless KB/M setup can make all the difference. The setup is important (and can be cost prohibitive), but the slower and less accurate movements when playing FPSes and RPGs with a controller make me feel handicapped. For the platformers, racing games, and specific RPGs, I definitely prefer controllers.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Wireless-Keyboards/K63-Wireless-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-and-Gaming-Lapboard-Combo-—-Blue-LED-—-CHERRY®-MX-Red/p/CH-9515031-NA

Works for me.

Why not both?

Open worlds like Watch Dogs I move around the world mostly with a controller since it's better for driving etc, and switch to kb/m for aiming.

Why not both?

Open worlds like Watch Dogs I move around the world mostly with a controller since it's better for driving etc, and switch to kb/m for aiming.
I tried doing that with Battlefield 4, using an XBox controller for flying/driving and KB/M for running around shooting. It was functional, settled on justing using the KB/M though as best.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Wireless-Keyboards/K63-Wireless-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-and-Gaming-Lapboard-Combo-—-Blue-LED-—-CHERRY®-MX-Red/p/CH-9515031-NA

Works for me.
I have an armchair and just have the keyboard on my lap while using the mouse on the arm part of the chair. The Logitech Dark Field mice works pretty good since it'll work on any surface I use it on. I've tried other lasers and they just don't work as well. The MX Anywhere mouse is what I currently use.

Why not both?

yeah like when I use to play battlefield bad company 2 I used kb/m for everything except the chopper and actually used a joystick for that.

but there are a lot of games I think a controller is necessary for and this is nice because I never could get use to xbox controllers thumb stick location

Luckily there's a way to trick the pc into thinking my ps3 controller is an xbox controller because that's the only one a lot of pc games accept.

Keyboard and mouse is fine for gaming on the couch - you just need a planned out setup. Controller can be more comfy for sitting back but that doesn't make up for that difference.

I love the Xbox controller. Play all my games that way. I just find it's more enjoyable, also easier to find the controls (only so many buttons to press).

Also, I really loath pressing control with my pinky to duck. General movement on the keyboard is not good. The Steam controller was a good idea, but it never worked well for me.

I love the Xbox controller. Play all my games that way. I just find it's more enjoyable, also easier to find the controls (only so many buttons to press).

Also, I really loath pressing control with my pinky to duck. General movement on the keyboard is not good. The Steam controller was a good idea, but it never worked well for me.
I've been remapping shift for duck/crouch since half life 1. Mainly because half life 1 was a very crouch happy game (regular crouching, long jump, and slightly higher than normal jumps all require crouch functionality). Sometimes that means I swap with whatever shift was before that (walk/sprint).

This endless arguing over which is better kb+mouse or controller is really worthless. Just give us the choice, end of story.

Yep. Whatever floats your boat. The only annoying part of the controller issue in some games is when they don't pause the game when the batteries die on the controller. They revert to KB and Mouse which for me is sitting a few feet away. Mid-combat that can be a pain in the ass to scramble for the escape key to pause.

Had a USB Saitek that had a reversible dpad/analog, shame I pawned it. The P3600 Cyborg Rumble, iirc.

Back