Customer issues

El Sucio

n00b
Hi everyone, I usually only post about video games, but as a tech support guy, I'm having an issue that requires a second opinion or some help. I'll try to be short and sweet and to the point so that you don't face a wall of text

Here's the story:

Got a call the other day, a user who has a docked Dell Latitude E6500 laptop is having a display issue when running out of her Dell U3011 monitor. My best guess at this point is an issue with a laptop trying to drive a 30" monitor from a docking station.

The issue is that the display shows up fine, but there are white lines around the center, kinda like static. If it was me, I'd just suck it up and deal with it, as it's a really minor issue, but she said it's bugging the shit out of her and I would like to be able to at least pinpoint an issue.

I've installed the U3011 drivers, updated the video card driver, all to no avail, leading me to believe she just needs to suck it up as well. Before I tell her, I'd like to be able to tell her what the deal is or get a fix if any of you guys know of something else to try. I lurk here a lot and see a lot of smart people.

Thanks,

El Sucio

Check the cable/connection between the monitor and the docking station? that'd be my first guess.

yeah everything's good there, have checked all the connections and used different ports, but it still does the same thing. Again, to me, it's a non-issue, as it's not really noticeable and not something I'd be surprised about.

Can you connect the display without using the docking station ? Is the problem still there ?

Two things:

1. Have you tested it on another system to verify the issue isn't specific to her laptop?
2. Are you sure it just isn't the AG coating that you are seeing? It is pretty heavy on this monitor and the U2711.

What is the connection type being used? Try both DP and VGA, and also try swapping the cables for each.

I'm using DVI to the monitor, think I should use the DP adapter or a DP cable? I'm not sure if the dock has a display port.

I did a brief search on the laptop, and it said it only has DP and VGA out. Perhaps it is a different make and model to the one I found.

Check the DVI cable and make sure it is dual link (3 rows of 8 pins) and that the output is also dual link.

I would try a DP from the laptop directly (if it has it) or DVI to the monitor without the docking station.

Back