Custom RGB

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
I read someone's monitor came with defaults of 50, 50, 50 for R G B. He upped those values to 65 63 63 and said his screen came to life. This prompted me to look at my RGB setting. It's 255, 255, 255. When I lower this an even amount, such as to 175, 175, 175, the screen is darker, and this means it effectively lowers the minimum brightness level. For example, I usually have been using brightness of 0, but when I have the RGB taken down to 175, 0 is too dark even in a dark environment.
And 175 is still way above the 65 and 63 levels he found preferable.
Have you experimented with these settings?

Those RGB settings are similar setting as "contrast" but for each subpixel separately to control color temperature.
And like with contrast different monitors use different scales.

People should really not be touching these values and/or contrast setting.
If they do they should use http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php to figure out which contrast/RGB setting does not lead to clipping. Level 254 should be distinguishable from background (which is 255). Bare but still it should be different

The RGB settings are meant for calibrating your individual display to have accurate colors. Due to production variance some display might have more green tint to it so you would reduce the G slider to compensate. You should not just try someone else's settings because they don't apply to your display. You can try improving color accuracy by watching test images and adjusting the controls. Grayscale images are usually easiest because it's easier to see if they are tinted. The better way is to use a calibrator device which will more accurately tell you how far off you are from say 6500K color temperature that is a pretty standard calibration target.

You're saying they're the same as adjusting the contrast ratio when you take them all down at once? For example, going from 255 to 100 for all channels is just like taking down the contrast control? I don't think the display looks any different when all channels are at 100 versus 255 except that it's darker. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the contrast control is the equivalent of moving all 3 RGB channels up and down simultaneously.

Back