Custom PS Drivers

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this sort of issue.

At work people print a lot of graphically intensive .pdf documents.
Using PCL drivers this can take the printers a very long time.
The problem is caused because the pages when spooled to the printer are 10-20mbs in size. This causes the printers to process after each page has printed, about 10-15 seconds.

I have deployed the PS drivers to the print server but I am only able to increase the PS memory to 32mbs, while this does speed the printing the printers still need to process into memory every two pages, again taking 10-15 seconds. When printing a 200-300 page document this still takes a long time.

As the printer has 512mb of RAM I am wondering if anyone has written or edited HP PS drivers to allocate more than 32mbs of memory to printing.

This would be a huge help, as I am unfamiliar with editing or for that matter creating print drivers.

That would be a much more simple option.
I will run that by my boss.

Thanks much bloodypulp.

If anyone has any other ideas I am still listening.

Cost is slightly high, for that solution.
Are there open source options that you can think up bloody?
Also all printers are HP and they do not look to be a partner of Fiery, not sure if that matters to much.

Spent most of today on this issue so far.

HP Printer that I am working on CP4525, is PostScript level 3 emulated device. Thats about as good as it gets unless you pick up a printer specifialy for graphic art, I can't justify that expense.

I attempted to edit the memory allocation in regedit but that had no effect on printing, seems to max out at 32767 kbs.

Looks to be a limitation on PS drivers. It seems silly to me that having a printer with 512mb RAM and a 100GB HD that you cant allocate more than 32mb of resources to storing PS documents.

I'm not going to spend anymore time working on this issue at the present, and just wait to hear back from HP when ever that is.

Again if anyone has any solutions let me know I have also tried using PS emulation software to speed the document to the printer, that did not speed up the printing, nor did ftp printing of a sample of the .pdf in question.

Back