Custom Paint

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
If i'm looking to custom paint/powder coat a case is there a better paint or brand to use for this?
I assume there is I just really don't know paints :p

A lot of people use the Krylon brand it seems and i like the way it looks. I think it might take better to pre-painted surfaces.
I used Rustoleum but plan to switch as i don't think it takes to well to pre-painted surfaces.
I don't think any will be horrible to be honest. Just don't use old stuff that's been sitting for too long(year/s) I had a bad experience with it not bonding well and coating even.

Ive had several things painted at work in the body shop

If the case has texture like the CM690 with the awful paint my case had that would have to be sanded out, or if its brushed aluminum it will make the paint look like it has lines

some pictures of random stuff ive gotten painted\

keyboard is same color a guy at work painted his old Impala haha

Pictures128.jpg

DSC00199-1.jpg

DSC00288-1.jpg

And the CM690 with its awful texture, i opted to not paint

DSC00419.jpg

That keyboard is NICEEEEEE. I've been looking to do something like that.
so any bodyshop should be able to do it? That's awesome, thanks!

Powder coating is a great option. But if that is not an option because of availability or pricing, a decent can of spray paint can yield good results with good prep work.

I've gotten great results from a combination of Krylon Fusion (paint for plastics) and Rustoleum acrylic enamels for the metal. Obviously not as rugged as powder coating, but can give you a good finished product none the less. Textured paints will help hide imperfections.

The key to a good rattle can job is PREP and PATIENCE! If you don't have/do either, expect your case to look like a 5 year old's art class project. But if you prepare your surfaces well and take your time you can make a great case. :D

EDIT: Google it for further info, but notes for a good spray paint job: clean surfaces, thin/light layers, clean painting environment, proper cure time and good spraying technique.

Back