• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Custom Notebook Companies

These are just companies that allow you the opportunity to upgrade you laptop, before you receive it, at additional cost, and they get to keep the stock part.
 
so what should I do? looking for a laptop in the $1250 range...Dell so far has the best deal but didnt necessarily want a Dell.
 
AndoOKC1 said:
so what should I do? looking for a laptop in the $1250 range...Dell so far has the best deal but didnt necessarily want a Dell.

well you could build a barebone like an asus s96j or asus z96j or MSI MS1039 or Compal HEL80 (google asus S96J if you want to get a better idea of what I'm talking about because there is a lot of info about that model). I'm trying to get a thinkpad barebone but they don't offer them anymore from the site (at least not in a sectiont that i've looked at)
 
right now i can get a 17" Dell E1705, 1GB mem, 256mb ATI card, DVD burner, 60GB HD, Bluetooth, 2 year warranty, Core Duo T2400 (1.86ghz) for $1250

I doubt i can beat that deal but im trying...any have any barebone 17" ideas?
 
Most of the links you provided are the same notebooks (Quanta, Compal, etc), just rebranded and sold at a higher mark up. I'm pretty sure Alienware and Hypersonics are manufactured by Quanta, who also manufacture a number of company laptops, like HP/Compaq.
 
If you get a good deal on the Dell, it'd be pretty hard to get anything cheaper (unless you have even more special connections like crazy employee deals).

I would not bother with building your own notebook (unless you really can't find anything you want from a reseller/vendor) because the cost is pretty high to buy the barebones, the CPU, the hard drive, and whatever else is needed.

I bought my last notebook from www.discountlaptops.com, but I also looked at ProPortable, powernotebooks, PCTorque (?), as well as the big names (IBM, Dell). I went with discountlaptops since I could get myself a rebranded Asus M6N for a good price.
 
Back
Top