Custom graphics settings for different games on ATI hardware?

Liekomg

Limp Gawd
I'll be building a new system, and i'm trying to decide between Nvidia and ATI cards. Right now, ATI seems to be the one to get, and the 4850 seems to be in my price range.

However, i've been using Nvidia for several years now and i'm very used to its control panel. I'm playing warhammer right now, and it doesn't have settings for AA and AF in-game, so I have to set it in the drivers. I like how I can manually add war.exe to the list of games, and manually enter the settings just for that game to load when that specific game starts.

My friend just got an ATI card, and looking through the CCC, I couldn't find something similar. I'd rather not have to go and change the global settings back and forth each time I run a game. How do you setup different AA and AF levels for different .exe's in the CCC?

Thanks. I looked through those forums but I couldn't find much. I'll look some more though.

I can't believe this option doesn't exist on ATI drivers? It seems so simple.

It's there and don't feel bad you can't easily find it. Many switched to ATi and Rage3d was full of questions about setting it up. ;)

P.S bookmark this gem ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide

Here is a screenshot of the settings from the Nvidia control panel.

settings.png

Very simple. Select a game from the dropdown menu (or add your own), and select the settings for that individual game. Whenever you run that game, those settings take effect, and only for that game.

The ATI tweak guide mentioned something about profiles, which seems similar. But this it had this blurb:

Under this tab you can associate a particular application or game with the profile. You can do this by putting a tick in the 'opens the following application, file or shortcut' box, and then inserting the full path and name of a executable or shortcut using the Browse button. I recommend you select the path to a shortcut, as the Control Center has some issues with launching certain executables properly (e.g Doom3.exe). Unfortunately this method doesn't mean that whenever you run that application or shortcut that the drivers will automatically detect this and run the appropriate profile. That would be extremely useful, but that's not what this does. The closest you can get to that sort of ease-of-use is to tick the 'Desktop Shortcut' option under the Activation tab, then save your profile. You will now find a shortcut on your desktop which, when launched, will start the application or game you've assigned to the profile, and implement all the profile's settings.

So does ATI really not have this simple way of using different settings on different exe's?

From what I've read, no it's not as simple as nVidia's method.
It's been know to grow hair on your chest figuring it out. For some reason that upsets all the females but dwarfs. :p

Yeah, it was something that I wished ATI had, but I really don't miss it. All I ever want to change is the AA option, and I can do that with the tray panel icon for the few games that don't have an in game option.

Back