Custom case build

Aw man, you need a welder. L Brackets wont do!

Looks neat none the less. Have fun!

Jorona, I was looking at these pics and the first thing I thought was "Man, this guy needs to TIG the joints" I understand that not everyone has that kind of equipment.

Design looks cool, I like things that are a little different.

Props to you for undertaking such an ambitious project. I will be checking back to see your progress.

I think a nice bench vice would hold the bars a bit better for cutting.

Also if you use a mechanical HDD are you mounting it flat? I would think if they are at a angle the gyro scoping effect could wear the bearings unevenly. Just a thought though.

If you can't weld it, make some 1/16th plates and pop rivet that sucker.

Artistry already, dude. Looks amazing.

If you're local to NH, I know a ridiculous welder who can handle that 1/16th wall tube.

We're talking about it because it seems to be the sore thumb of what looks to be an awesome project. If it gets covered up, fair enough, but the point stands. welds are also typically less likely to flex in the long run, and since this case focuses on geometry, it would be a shame for it to come out of square over time.

Don't take it like we're bashing on you, we're just trying to give you some constructive criticism. I still think this will come out awesome, and I'm definately gonna watch. Good luck!

shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

Ahhhh....Power tools and beer. One of my favorite combos. :D

Nice job so far on this build.

As for the HDD, I'm not sure this would be an issue. They will be mounted on their side and then angled at 45 degrees. I don't think the drive would know the different between being on it's side parallel to the ground or at a 45 degree angle. If this is the case then I will have to revamp my design I guess.

As long as the drives are secured and don't move, you should be okay.
Personally, I'd still worry about uneven wear on the drive bearings though.

From older Hitachi documentation:
6.7.4 Drive mounting
The drive will operate in all axes (6 directions). Performance and error rate will stay within specification limits if the drive is operated in the other orientations from which it was formatted.

From Western Digital:
Physical mounting of the drive:
WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation).

From old Maxtor documentation:
The hard drive can be mounted in any orientation.

From old Samsung documentation:
As long as it is securely attached to the chassis, hard disk drives may be mounted either horizontally or vertically depending on how your computer's case is constructed.

Not really taking it like bashing, I just don't have the capabilities to weld it. I talked to a guy at work and he does not have the set up to do aluminum. The outside panels should make the case more rigid so that it does not lose it's shape ever.
My plan is to use PVC for the top and buttom curves and possibly bend aluminum over them and then remove them. Not sure yet. I'm working on getting some aluminum sheets from the same place I got my 1/8 steel bar top and also working on getting some plexi.
Remember this is my first build other than the bar and I'm trying not to go broke doing it.

Even so, you have interior support but the outside "edge" of the join is still open/loose.

If you don't have the capability of welding it, think about something like JBWeld, Gorilla Glue, Epoxy, etc. Just so that you have a solid join with no flex to it whatsoever.

Nice to see someone having some thought behind the madness. Seen enough fancy-ass pretty boxes that did, well nothing, glad you've decided to engineer a real project. All the best to ya. Rock on.

Nice sleeve, forearm looks fresh, I dont even want to know what your tats have cost you, Im certain there are more under the shirt lol.

Cant wait to see how this one turns out.

congrats! are you local to onlinemetals? i used to live just a couple miles from them and picked up all my bulk metal from them. have a good time, subbing so i dont lose track of this build when you get the time to pick it back up. :)

Back