Custom cable question

bpmcleod

Limp Gawd
I am looking into making some custom cables for my PSU and had a question about the CPU cables. My mobo supports and 8 pin and a 4 pin. I am using both for the extra power but run into issues with room on most PSUs under 1000w. Is it viable to split the extra 4 pin off the 8 pin? They are all on the same rail iirc. I am just trying to make the sleeving of the PCIe cables as easy as possible. Splitting 4 off the 8pin saves me from splitting 6 or 8 off the PCIe.

At that point you might as well not use the 4 pin unless you split it off at the PSU. If you split it at the motherboard connector, as far as electrical characteristics is concerned it is almost the exact same as not connecting the 4 pin.

I would think the traces on the mother board would be the weak link in this scenario, but I can’t say for sure. The amp limit on the wiring has to be higher than the board can use. Many psus are single rail anyway so unless you are concerned with overtaxing the one in question, I don’t see a problem with it.

I would think the traces on the mother board would be the weak link in this scenario, but I can’t say for sure. The amp limit on the wiring has to be higher than the board can use. Many psus are single rail anyway so unless you are concerned with overtaxing the one in question, I don’t see a problem with it.

True, I didn't think of that.

I would be splitting thw wire coming from the PSU itself. A double wire basically.

It would save me from having to do double wires on the much shortwr PCIe cables

Back