• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cuss word! Drive has failed

pwrusr

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
3,115
One of seagate's 7200.12 has died on a family member who never backed it up. Any way of reviving it long enough to get it to a point where I can ghost it?
Already tried to freeze the drive for a hour. no go...

FWIW I have two other 7200.12's of the same size (1TB).
Tried swapping the circuit board from that drive to the bad one. All it did was a few click of deaths. no go for data extraction.

Any other ideas?
 
Whoa you froze the hard drive? Why? I'm pretty sure that destroyed it.
 
One of seagate's 7200.12 has died on a family member who never backed it up. Any way of reviving it long enough to get it to a point where I can ghost it?
Already tried to freeze the drive for a hour. no go...

FWIW I have two other 7200.12's of the same size (1TB).
Tried swapping the circuit board from that drive to the bad one. All it did was a few click of deaths. no go for data extraction.

Any other ideas?

Click of death usually cannot be fixed without cracking the case of the drive itself and transplanting the platters into a known good drive. Basically I would just tell the family member all hope is lost and set them up with a dropbox account for next time.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodaEX
Whoa you froze the hard drive? Why? I'm pretty sure that destroyed it.
Freezer trick is a long time trick that can sometimes revive a hard drive long enough to recover important data.

I have successfully used that trick one time to recover data off a seemingly dead drive. It was cool as right after I finished copying the info it made horrible screeching noises and died.
 
Whoa you froze the hard drive? Why? I'm pretty sure that destroyed it.
You've been here at [H] for 7 years and you've never heard of this trick? I used it once to successfully pull data from a "dead drive" that worked when it was cool but failed once it warmed back up.
Click of death usually cannot be fixed without cracking the case of the drive itself and transplanting the platters into a known good drive. Basically I would just tell the family member all hope is lost and set them up with a dropbox account for next time.
It doesn't click when the orig circuit board is in the drive though. with the other drive's board it only clicked for ~5 times then stopped. I did think about swapping the platters as well, however without a clean room that would be a little difficult. Though I may still do that since there was a bit of important data on the drive.
 
Though I may still do that since there was a bit of important data on the drive.

Ha. LMK how that goes. Seriously :p

BTW to do a PCB swap the firmware needs to be identical on the good logic board. Basically everything has to match up from the color on up.
 
Ha. LMK how that goes. Seriously :p

BTW to do a PCB swap the firmware needs to be identical on the good logic board. Basically everything has to match up from the color on up.

they were identical... at least in hardware/model number. Didn't check the firmware version :eek:
 
Back
Top