• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Currently testing i7 920 @ 4.0g

klrgreenis

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
77
I'm tickled pink LOL :p

Finally got my I7 rig together.

Gigabyte Mobo EX58-UD5

I7 920

6GB OCZ Platinum Memory

Seasonic 850w M12 PS

ATI 5870 Video Card

Megahelms cooler

2x64g ssd in raid 0

Win 7 64 bit

All i've done so far is go into the BIOS and adjust the bclk to 191 and multiplier to 21.

Currently 48 minutes into OCCT testing with 18 minutes remaining.

Test temps are avergaing 80 degrees C so for the next test i'll bump up my fans a bit.
They are running about 1700 RPM now and are nice and quiet.

It is ~70 degrees F in my office right now though so we'll see how things go tomorrow with a little more heat in here as well :D

Sorry for the silly post but i'm having fun!
 
Nice build. I suggest testing with Intel Burn Test to quickly find a stable overclock and save some time.
 
Congrats! I just tried to go to 4 GHz for the second time with my sig rig tonight and I couldn't quite get 4 GhZ stable but I REALLY pushed it. Had Prime 95 small FFT along with Intel Burn Test and running Zune. Hit 81C but BSOD'ed about 30 minutes into this torture test.

But I'm happy with 3.7 for now and finally hope to be in the 4Ghz + club when I hope to get an i7-980x in March.
 
Congrats! I just tried to go to 4 GHz for the second time with my sig rig tonight and I couldn't quite get 4 GhZ stable but I REALLY pushed it. Had Prime 95 small FFT along with Intel Burn Test and running Zune. Hit 81C but BSOD'ed about 30 minutes into this torture test.

But I'm happy with 3.7 for now and finally hope to be in the 4Ghz + club when I hope to get an i7-980x in March.

Thanks! I am hoping it is stable here. It is a pretty new batch from a 10/14/2009 build date

Not sure of that matters or not

*edit* I just fired it up running max stress 5 times.

Any recomendations on the number of times?

Being the first time i've used it I have no idea how long a cycle is LOL
 
*edit* I just fired it up running max stress 5 times.

Any recomendations on the number of times?

Being the first time i've used it I have no idea how long a cycle is LOL

5 tests is enough.

For me, a typical cycle lasts about 107 seconds. Make sure to run 2 instances of Intel Burn Test because each only tests 50% of the CPU. Set the RAM sizes accordingly.
 
Thanks! I am hoping it is stable here. It is a pretty new batch from a 10/14/2009 build date

Not sure of that matters or not

*edit* I just fired it up running max stress 5 times.

Any recomendations on the number of times?

Being the first time i've used it I have no idea how long a cycle is LOL

My 4Ghz attempt a few hours ago actaully passed the Intel Burn Tester, at maximum 3 times. Prime95 and Zune actually crashed it.

I really would suggest at least a 12 hour Prime95 test with something else running, like Zune or other fairly taxing app.
 
5 tests is enough.

For me, a typical cycle lasts about 107 seconds. Make sure to run 2 instances of Intel Burn Test because each only tests 50% of the CPU. Set the RAM sizes accordingly.

Ah good to know. I did notice that only 51% of the cpu was being used.

So what what I set each instance to with 6 gig of ram?
 
My 4Ghz attempt a few hours ago actaully passed the Intel Burn Tester, at maximum 3 times. Prime95 and Zune actually crashed it.

I really would suggest at least a 12 hour Prime95 test with something else running, like Zune or other fairly taxing app.

Yup I still like prime...

I did pass 5 passes of intell burn.

I'm running 15 now.

Once that is done i'll run two instances of it if I can figure out how to set the ram and how much to set each ones to LOL

Love this forum BTW!
 
You should be running 16 threads in Intel Burn Test if you have HT enabled on the i7. That will stress all threads on the processor to 100%. The thread over @ xtremesystems suggests to run atleast 10 tests with very high to max memory.

Good luck. :D
 
Ah figured it out I think. Have to have two seperate folders of it or it will error out.

I did selected half stress for each test and cpu is maxed out now at 100%
And using 5gig of the 6gig memory.

Set it to run 5 cycles with error checking on.

Guess I could run it with it off and just check the results hehe
 
You should be running 16 threads in Intel Burn Test if you have HT enabled on the i7. That will stress all threads on the processor to 100%. The thread over @ xtremesystems suggests to run atleast 10 tests with very high to max memory.

Good luck. :D

Thanks I may need it LOL

I'll check out the thread at xtreme


HT is on and when I ran just one instance it only maxed out the CPU @51% using ~5gig of my 6gig of memory.

Using two instaces running at the 1/2 stress setting seems to maxing the CPU @ 100% and using the same 5gig of 6gig.

Running 5 passes now, i'll do 10 next :D
 
OK so I passed running the old version of 1.9 running two instances at 1/2 stress each which maxed out 5gig of ram.

I am now running the NEW 2.4 version at maximum stress with 8 cores selected.

It also has the cpu maxed out at 100% like the old version with two instances running.

Running 10 loops of version 2.4 with my fingers crossed =)

If this passes I'll fire up good old prime and let that run for 24 hours to see what she can do.

Is there a fancy version of prime other than what is on the official website?
 
u guys should try OCCT its real good when it comes to detecting errors. i ran it for about an hour with my OC'd q9550 and it gave me an error about 12 mins in the test.
 
u guys should try OCCT its real good when it comes to detecting errors. i ran it for about an hour with my OC'd q9550 and it gave me an error about 12 mins in the test.

Yup I tried that first passed 1h fine.

I was going to run 2 hours but started trying this IBT out :D
 
Last edited:
Why don't you just run Linx? Linx automatically sets you to 8 threads and maxes out your CPUs across all 8 at 100%.
 
Why don't you just run Linx? Linx automatically sets you to 8 threads and maxes out your CPUs across all 8 at 100%.

Whats Linx?? LOL

Sorry been out of the loop for awhile, i'll check that out to.

The latest version of IBT is also suposed to hit all 8 threads using the auto setting but I set it to 8 just to be sure...
 
Hate to keep bumping my own thread LOL

OK got a red screen and everything locked up. Darn...

Went into BIOS and noticed that my memory was only defaulting at 1.5v and I thought it was supposed to be at 1.6v so I upped it to 1.6v.

Just checked OCZ's website and it is rated at 1.65v oops.

Well I am just now passing test #6 at 1.6v so I guess it should be stable for sure at 1.65v if it passes at 1.6v LOL

So far so good....

I did also notice trhat version 2.4 of the IBT set to auto also uses 4 threads so I cancelled it and set it manually to 8 threads.

I have the door closed to my office and I have a oregon scientific thermostat sitting about 8 inches away from the side door intake and it is reading 77 degrees F in here haha great little heater I built
 
80 C?
If you're going to overclock, spend a little money on some megahalems. You'll save a lot on replacement cpus in the long run.
 
More cooling couldn't hurt of course but 80c is fine for an i7 as long as you're not always up there (see sticky in this forum, i7s run hot). Games never seem to peak out your CPU, i have yet to see any of my games break even 70c on any of my cores and those are only momentary peaks (see sig for setup).
 
IBT 5 passes on maximum 16 threads, LinX 20 passes, and 16 hours of prime should call you stable. I passed all this with my 860 and so far I have not had a single issue.
 
80 C?
If you're going to overclock, spend a little money on some megahalems. You'll save a lot on replacement cpus in the long run.

He is already running a Megahalem.. also 80C is fairly normal for an overclocked i7 @ 4ghz on air. I hit 77C when stressing mine but it barely breaks into the 50s when gaming.
 
He is already running a Megahalem.. also 80C is fairly normal for an overclocked i7 @ 4ghz on air. I hit 77C when stressing mine but it barely breaks into the 50s when gaming.

+1. I was hitting 81C max with my H50 during my 4 GHz running Prime 95 large FFTs. But nothing normal was taking it out of the 50s.
 
i've seen 85c in prime, usually around 78-80c load however. Whatever, s'cool enough.
 
Well I passed 10 passes of IBT @ 8 threads and 2 hours of OCCT with it being 80 degrees F in my office with 2 desktops and a laptop running with the door closed. Max temps got to mid 80s C during IBT and 80 C during OCCT which like some of you posted would be more torture than actual gaming.

I do have megahelm but have two not so good 120mm fams on it only running at 1800 RPM so it is nice and quiet. I'm sure I could crank them up and go for more but I am very happy here.

With that being said I may try to start manually lowering the vcore to see if I can get it stable with less. Right now I'm set to auto and it is over 1.31v during occt according to the chart.
 
Back
Top