• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Current Video Card core\memory\bus comparison charts

brionbastian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
272
I've been in the market for a new video card for about a month now, and finally ordered a X800 XT AIW yesterday. I made some graphs in Excel for comparison purposes and thought others might find them useful too. Let me know what you think of them, even if it is bad. The blue bars are core speed, the purple bars are memory speed, and the yellow bars are bus width. All speeds measurements are stock speed.

videocardgraphs8vb.png


 
Nice charts. It's always nice to see things in perspective like that. You can hunt for comparison numbers all day long but often times charts like this put it all together much better than raw numbers can. Good job.
 
Thanks for the comments, i hope you all find this useful.

I have a question that probably won't get answered till I start a new thread, but I already started one today so i'll wait on it. I just ordered an X800 XT All-in-wonder AGP card from the Egg so I can play my Gamecube on my PC monitor. After researching a bit and reading reviews, it seems that there's a known issue with this card where TV or any video input is delayed about a second before being displayed to the screen. That's unacceptable for gaming, while it may not be noticeable for TV. Over at tomshardware.com, they mentioned that this issue is because the audio is streamed through the AGP bus instead of with an audio cable to the sound card. It can be fixed by using Catalyst 4.11, which doesn't support streamed aucio through the AGP bus, and doing it the old way with the cable. I was wondeing how much, if any, of a performance drop i'll suffer by using that old of a version of Catalyst? And if anyone has used third-party drivers such as Omega with this card, I'd love to hear their opinions on them and this delay issue.
 
mentok1982 said:
Memory speeds are up, core speeds...not so much.

The more accurate comparison is bandwidth/fillrate. Core speeds might not be up but shader engines have gotten much wider - can't say the same for the memory bus.
 
Good charts, nice job. It would be nice if you could add the number of pipelines to the list as clock speed is a useless measurement without it. You did include bus width though, that makes mem speed usefull info.
 
I updated the original graphs, added 3 cards and filled in a few missing numbers. I also added the suggested pipeline comparison charts. I (obviously) had a hard time finding numbers for the older Nvidia cards, so if anyone has info that's missing from the charts, let me know and i'll add them.
 
Updated again.

It didn't occur to me for some reason to put the TI4xxx cards in when I was making the charts, and now I'd have to take out the MX's to get them in. I might do that later this week.
 
Back
Top