• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Current Overclocked AMD 3800+ X2

solotech

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
262
System Spec's:
Koolance PC3-720BK
Koolance CPU-305-V10 CPU block
XP Pro SP2 with all current updates.
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI
Seasonic S12 500W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 retail
2GB Corsair PC3200 Twinx2048-3200C2
3 WD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor (1 for OS) (2 for raid 0)

Server room is a chilly 70F
Currently at 2608.26MHz a 608.26 overclock. I was impressed with this increse so I stopped and ran burn in tests. This thing is Rock solid.
At idle the temp is 30c. At full burn in I am hitting 37-39c.

In the past week we have had this up and running we have noticed at least a 250% increase in efficiency compared to the Pentium D 3Gz at htis current overclocked state. At normal state we were seeing a 50% increase.
Buy AMD, the current Pentium series is absolute crap.

This computer is used for extreme algorithm number crunching.
Look at the number and proof in the pic's..

What are people hitting normaly with the 3800+X2 without freezing it.
The voltage is at 1.4125 is this to high?

http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/5.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/6.jpg
 
solotech said:
System Spec's:
Koolance PC3-720BK
Koolance CPU-305-V10 CPU block
XP Pro SP2 with all current updates.
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI
Seasonic S12 500W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 retail
2GB Corsair PC3200 Twinx2048-3200C2
3 WD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor (1 for OS) (2 for raid 0)

Server room is a chilly 70F
Currently at 2608.26MHz a 608.26 overclock. I was impressed with this increse so I stopped and ran burn in tests. This thing is Rock solid.
At idle the temp is 30c. At full burn in I am hitting 37-39c.

In the past week we have had this up and running we have noticed at least a 250% increase in efficiency compared to the Pentium D 3Gz at htis current overclocked state. At normal state we were seeing a 50% increase.
Buy AMD, the current Pentium series is absolute crap.

This computer is used for extreme algorithm number crunching.
Look at the number and proof in the pic's..

What are people hitting normaly with the 3800+X2 without freezing it.
The voltage is at 1.4125 is this to high?

http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/5.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dospital/6.jpg


I know this is the [H] and all, but "overclocked" and "server" don't mix. Adding in that its home brew with no redundancy makes it look like a recepie for disaster.

Its a great overclock, I'll give you that, but if it really is a server do everyone a favor and keep it in spec.

 
Party2go9820 said:
I know this is the [H] and all, but "overclocked" and "server" don't mix. Adding in that its home brew with no redundancy makes it look like a recepie for disaster.

Its a great overclock, I'll give you that, but if it really is a server do everyone a favor and keep it in spec.

It's an X2, those things were meant for OCing. However he does have a point not OCing server h/w and cpus, I got real pissed when I froze my k8t master2 far ><

@OP 1.4vcore should be fine with sufficient cooling. I've seen 1.7 on air but I wouldn't reccomend it ;D
 
Party2go9820 said:
I know this is the [H] and all, but "overclocked" and "server" don't mix. Adding in that its home brew with no redundancy makes it look like a recepie for disaster.

Its a great overclock, I'll give you that, but if it really is a server do everyone a favor and keep it in spec.



I've been in IT for a long time and I have been a PC enthusiast even longer. I'm not a hard by the book kind of guy. I see this most times with the old school crowd or as Dell would call them "Big Iron". I call them "Rusty Iron"
A server can defined in many respects what ever I wish (or anyone) it to be, but a "server" is just a computer that serves a purpose or many specific purposes. This computer serves only one purpose and does it extremely well. In fact it does what we want faster than 2 3.6 Xeons. Really sad Intel!
As for redundancy I can by a 20k server without redundancy. Sure my friends and sales people will tell me I’m a moron to not create redundancy but still I can do what I want.
Since it does not have redundancy should I only consider it a PC?

A server is just a computer, any computer. Sounds like MS and CDW and the sales departments of hardware companies have brainwashed you away from the plain and very simple truth.
Example: My router is a VPN server also. It has no redundancy has very little hardware and I believe does not meet any of your hardware requirements to be a server. This is because it's just a tiny computer with specific software to meet a purpose and to also mention, meets the hardware specs to run the software.

So, is it hardware or software that makes a server a server?
I'll give you the answer: Both, as long as the computer runs and serves a purpose. This is a server no matter what the mix is.
Sure what I built is a high end enthusiast PC to a very few elite people but for our group it's a server.
(computer=server)=(server=computer) its all the same damn thing no matter what the mix is…

Rant is over BF2 time….
 
im on 1.5 volt, 2.6 ghz OC on air. Hits 50C under prime. 1.45 volts isnt stable after hours of gaming
 
I'm at 1.5V 2.6ghz as well. Prime stable and temps are 30/50 idle/dualprime.
 
what coolers are you guys using to get 2.6 @ 50C?

i just ordered an SI-120 and panaflo 70cfm fan to replace my zalman 7k cu
 
lithium726 said:
tahts um..

not too smart... these chips run pretty dang hot...

ehh yea i know but im doing decent temps, 35-38C/43-45 idle/load
isnt that safe? if it isnt , tell me so I could drop it back to stock
 
your temp sensor is reporting very wrong, there is no way those temps are true with 1.5v on teh stock AMD cooler. it wouldnt even be running that cool if it were at stock!

how are you maxing our your chip? if youre only loading one core, those temps sound almost right.. if youre maxing out both, id expect 60-65C+
 
aldy402 said:
ehh yea i know but im doing decent temps, 35-38C/43-45 idle/load
isnt that safe? if it isnt , tell me so I could drop it back to stock

That seems fine - Usually you don't want the load temps to go over the low 50's. Any higher than 52/53 under load (PRIME on each CPU) i'd ease off a bit. I'd rather have a slightly slower CPU and know it's working fine and will work fine for a while rather than running a bit quicker (Which you probably wouldn't notice anywasy) and running too much over spec...

I'm tempted to get an X2 3800+ but the cheapest i've seen them for in the UK is £222 + Shipping. I think i'm going to get one of the 144 S939 Opterons if i can find any (about £120 inc VAT + Shipping.

neo out
 
well I threw on the max torture test in prime95 and got temps 45-51C under load. I NEVER went above 51C though and it rarely even went on 51. It mostly stays on 48C.

I have a V1000BW and only have 2x 120MM fans in the whole case. 1x front intake and 1x back exhaust. The case came stock with both fans as intakes, should I change it back?

Im pretty sure my temps are accurate and it basically reads the same in Ntune as well.
Im just scared about the Voltage im at.

im doing 1.425V in the bios but I have "CPU VID SPECIAL CONTROL @ 110%"
is this safe? or should I leave that on auto?
 
both are reporting just what the BIOS is reporting, and im willing to bet its wrong.

at stock vcore and 2.25ghz, with my zalman cnps7000b-cu at full blast, i get a load temp of 60C.
 
Considering you got that oc without having to raise the voltage much it's probably a higher quality chip than it's rated for. Most of the low end chips can run higher just fine. They spec them for whatever speed they need and if they have good chips but need lower specs then they just rate good chips lower. My 3200+ ran 2580 stable at stock volts so at 2550 it was perfect
.
On the other hand if you are really using that for production work you better prime it and throw whatever other test you can before you start using it. I'd back off your max stable at least 50mhz or so just for safety's sake. You better believe when your database or whatever gets hosed and people find out you oc'd the sever your gonna get fired.
 
100% AGREE

Dell calls their SC400 and SC420 a "value server", we call them desktop pcs on the cheap for about 20 or so of our users.

A "server" is a computer, any computer, that is put into application as a "server".

After reading a few of those first "you shouldn't overclock..." responses I checked to make sure Dell hadn't changed their forum background to black and I just wound up at the wrong place :D

solotech said:
I've been in IT for a long time and I have been a PC enthusiast even longer. I'm not a hard by the book kind of guy. I see this most times with the old school crowd or as Dell would call them "Big Iron". I call them "Rusty Iron"
A server can defined in many respects what ever I wish (or anyone) it to be, but a "server" is just a computer that serves a purpose or many specific purposes. This computer serves only one purpose and does it extremely well. In fact it does what we want faster than 2 3.6 Xeons. Really sad Intel!
As for redundancy I can by a 20k server without redundancy. Sure my friends and sales people will tell me I’m a moron to not create redundancy but still I can do what I want.
Since it does not have redundancy should I only consider it a PC?

A server is just a computer, any computer. Sounds like MS and CDW and the sales departments of hardware companies have brainwashed you away from the plain and very simple truth.
Example: My router is a VPN server also. It has no redundancy has very little hardware and I believe does not meet any of your hardware requirements to be a server. This is because it's just a tiny computer with specific software to meet a purpose and to also mention, meets the hardware specs to run the software.

So, is it hardware or software that makes a server a server?
I'll give you the answer: Both, as long as the computer runs and serves a purpose. This is a server no matter what the mix is.
Sure what I built is a high end enthusiast PC to a very few elite people but for our group it's a server.
(computer=server)=(server=computer) its all the same damn thing no matter what the mix is…

Rant is over BF2 time….
 
lithium726 said:
both are reporting just what the BIOS is reporting, and im willing to bet its wrong.

at stock vcore and 2.25ghz, with my zalman cnps7000b-cu at full blast, i get a load temp of 60C.

well I guess the only REAL way to find out is with a temp probe right? hows the ambient temps in your room? maby that might have something to do with it?
 
you guys are getting 2.4 ghz on stock air cooling? guess i wont have anything to worry about with my water cooling since its cooling ~160 watts of heat , plus my 6800's ~80 watts right now:D and im doing it silently, my cpus pulling soo much power it overloaded the psus dedicated 18 amp 12v rail and the unstable rail stressed the capacitors, now my max3 is bleeding to death:eek: :( i knew it was bad that the otes was being burning hot and the exaust being as hot as youd expect a full loaded p4 laptops cpu cooler... but my friend said it was fine...
i give up on intel, i havent been able to get a system that worked properly at the speed i expected it to since i got rid of my 2.6 ghz athlon-xp, it was a fun trip but aparently me having a p4 system is obviously not meant to be(gone through 4 cpus and 4 motherboards over a year or two)
 
Back
Top