Current generation apple extreme router

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I really am starting to think that my home network speeds are the fault of this router. I bought it right when it came out and it has been reliable, meaning it hasn't needed to restart except for updates.

I feel like it's very slow with my home network with wifi. I have a dlink gigabit switch attached to the router. I have everything hooked up to the 8 port switch. Including gaming win 7 machine and synology server (with tivo etc). Getting data from win7 to synology is very very fast. I can copy a blu ray rip (20 gigs) at max speed.

Today I was trying to copy a 3.6 gig from my n capable MBP to the server. So MBP wifi to router to switch to server. Took in excess of 15 minutes.

Is there a way to test the wifi capabilities to make sure? I would need it on osx to test. Recommendations?

How does it do with Win7/8 running on the MBP?

I picked up one of these with a new MBA and quickly determined the problem was OSX. Windows on the same machine copies very fast, but booting to OSX results in much slower copies. It's as if the file copies in bursts, pausing every so often.

When first researching it, I tried Mavericks DP1 and the issue, while not entirely resolved, was much better.

I don't use a synology NAS, but a Windows Server box. I have an HP 1400-8G switch that can max gigabit no problem.

How does it do with Win7/8 running on the MBP?

I picked up one of these with a new MBA and quickly determined the problem was OSX. Windows on the same machine copies very fast, but booting to OSX results in much slower copies. It's as if the file copies in bursts, pausing every so often.

When first researching it, I tried Mavericks DP1 and the issue, while not entirely resolved, was much better.

I don't use a synology NAS, but a Windows Server box. I have an HP 1400-8G switch that can max gigabit no problem.

I don't have windows installed on the laptop nor do I have a windows laptop. The windows machine is wired and I presume only goes through the switch when accessing the server. Both are hard wired to the gigabit switch.

I used to have a windows 2011 server but I replaced that and the router so I cant really compare accurately. If I do think back accessing the win server with the old router was faster with the laptop.

I am wondering if this is causing my poor performance with streaming to my iPads.

I don't have windows installed on the laptop nor do I have a windows laptop. The windows machine is wired and I presume only goes through the switch when accessing the server. Both are hard wired to the gigabit switch.

I used to have a windows 2011 server but I replaced that and the router so I cant really compare accurately. If I do think back accessing the win server with the old router was faster with the laptop.

I am wondering if this is causing my poor performance with streaming to my iPads.

Maybe the one you got has issues if you're seeing issues with your iPads also, although I don't have iPads to test. My Android devices work fine.

Can the MBP max gigabit when plugged into the switch? My MBA still can't w/a thunderbolt adapter in OSX, while it can in Windows.

Maybe the one you got has issues if you're seeing issues with your iPads also, although I don't have iPads to test. My Android devices work fine.

Can the MBP max gigabit when plugged into the switch? My MBA still can't w/a thunderbolt adapter in OSX, while it can in Windows.

I'll try that when I get home. Hard wire the MBP and compare it to wifi with a movie file.

I copied a 8.53GB file from the MBP to the server.

1. On WiFi with router in line of sight. 5 minutes and 40 seconds.
2. Hardwire to switch (server is on switch) 1 minute 12 seconds
3. Hardwire to router 1 minute 12 seconds.

Are those results typical? I don't know about the WifI speed, so gonna look it up, but if you know, tell me please.

This sounds about right. You will never get advertised speeds with WiFi, and it carries much more latency than wired connections.

I never use WiFi for anything but casual browsing. Moving/streaming files over it is a recipe for frustration.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before. I just got a notification for Phog's.

That's ~25MBps by the numbers you gave. That's fine for Wireless N. I see twice that with AC typically.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before. I just got a notification for Phog's.

That's ~25MBps by the numbers you gave. That's fine for Wireless N. I see twice that with AC typically.

Is AC automatic? Meaning when I upgrade iPads will I have to anything to the router?

In advance, what is a good app in iOS to check intranet speed? Much like I did with my laptop.

Edit. I have a 5s that has AC capability.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have any iOS devices. As an FYI, AC is 5GHz only and it should be working as long as you're in range.

Sorry, I don't have any iOS devices. As an FYI, AC is 5GHz only and it should be working as long as you're in range.

Is there a way to test what wifi protocol I am using with an iPhone 5s and the new router?

Is there a way to test what wifi protocol I am using with an iPhone 5s and the new router?

Yeah. In the airport utility, if you hold alt and click it and then edit, you can see the list of wireless clients and their connection rate/type.

Yeah. In the airport utility, if you hold alt and click it and then edit, you can see the list of wireless clients and their connection rate/type.

I did that thanks. I incorrectly thought the 5S supported 802.11AC, does not. Don't have anything to test it with yet.

Back