current fan wired into plug - new PSU question.

rfollett

n00b
just need to ask experts.. I am replacing my old 600 (4 years old) with new 650 corair. (TX650M).
have just notcied the internal fan is hard wired into plug socket.. see pics.. so my questions is.
If I buy a new fan with 3 pin i see on my motherboard that it has pibs ready (not sure why they didnt use before)..
should this be ok ?
IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

You can unplug that, no need to buy a new fan. Just grip the portion where the wires come out of and the portion with the tabs and pull them apart.

Sure just plug the new one in. Sometimes when people put computers together they just use whatever they have on hand, no technical reason behind it at all.

EDIT: I'm assuming you didn't build it, since you said they in the OP.

On an unrelated note: grab some compressed air and give your computer a good cleanout while you're messing around in there. You'll keep things cooler and quieter when you get the dust and hair and gunk out. That heatsink is nasty.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but that doesn't look to be hardwired, it will unplug and just has the plug on the other side so you can daisychain several together.

You should be able to use that fan again but if you use a 3 or 4 pin fan that plugs into your motherboard it will run at lower speeds unless the system starts to run warm, if you use a 3 pin fan you might want to double check whether one of the open headers can be used in dc mode but it shouldn't be an issue(otherwise it will run at 100% anyways).

I also agree with the suggestion to hit that heatsink with a can of compressed air.

thank you all for the help. it is hard wired so I have just ordered a new fan with 3pin. Also ordered some compressed air.. Anything i should be careful with the air?? it is very dusty in there, just didnt want to distub anything.

thank you all for the help. it is hard wired so I have just ordered a new fan with 3pin. Also ordered some compressed air.. Anything i should be careful with the air?? it is very dusty in there, just didnt want to distub anything.
If you're talking about the connection between the fan and power supply cable you're holding in the first pic that's not hard wired, it might be stuck on there really tight(those connectors can get really stuck on there sometimes) but it should unplug. The fan is likely old or not that great considering it has a molex connector so it's probably not a bad idea to replace it anyway though.

It's a good idea to block any fan you're directing the compressed air at with a finger so it doesn't spin or unplug it. If it's plugged in and spins it can act as a generator and produce electricity, it shouldn't be an issue but better safe than sorry. With how dusty it looks you'll likely make a mess wherever you dust it, I usually take a pc outside to dust it if it's that dusty.

Take the computer outside and blow it out with compressed air, do not vacuum. Otherwise, compressed air isn't going to hurt anything.

^^^ yeah NEVER vacuum a case. ive seen too many little old ladies with dead systems from it.

Back