• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Current best driver for 3870's? Please

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
4,628
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to which ATi driver is the current best performer for the 3870's? I will be using 2 in a crossfire combo, and being that I've had only nvidia cards, I have no clue about ATi and there drivers. I have been told however that the CCC included with the drivers is VERY bloated and not recommended to use, but If I dont install that app, will crossfire still work? and what program can take place of CCC? Thank you VERY much.:p
 
Seven.Eleven drivers, because their the newest ones out. Those are the only drivers I believe atm that support the 3870.

I don't think you need CCC for crossfire, but your going to be limited in some of your options with tweaking games without CCC or a third party program that can do the same thing (ati tray tools comes to mind).

I have vista + CCC, Sure its bloated, alot of programs are now aways, just means you got to overclock more. :D
 
Seven.Eleven drivers, because their the newest ones out. Those are the only drivers I believe atm that support the 3870.

I don't think you need CCC for crossfire, but your going to be limited in some of your options with tweaking games without CCC or a third party program that can do the same thing (ati tray tools comes to mind).

I have vista + CCC, Sure its bloated, alot of programs are now aways, just means you got to overclock more. :D
Thank you for taking your time to reply.:p
 
Compared to the latest Nvidia driver control panel/Ntune combo, CCC doesn't seem quite so bloated these days. :)

You MUST use CCC if you want to enable Crossfire, no getting around it, none of the freeware programs like ATITool or Rivatuner will let you do this. If you're running Vista, CCC is totally painless and snappy. If you're running XP, there can be long load times with it.

I recommend the "Crysis Hotfix" drivers based on the 7.11 WHQL set if you're planning on playing Crysis (duh). If you're not playing Crysis, then the 7.11 WHQL drivers will be your best bet. You don't want ANY driver older than 7.11 with your 38xx cards, as they won't be properly supported.

The WHQL 7.12's should be released in a week or so, and will include the Crysis fixes plus other improvements (and hopefully some 38xx specific love, like dual monitor while in Crossfire)

ATI is on a monthly driver update schedule, so that the package name refers to the Year.Month they were released..so 7.12's for December 2007, and 8.1's for January 2008, 8.2 for February, etc.

Whatever driver is listed on the AMD/ATI site is usually the best one to pick, though sometimes hotfix drivers are needed (and hotfix fixes make it into the next WHQL revision, or the one after that)

ATI drivers GENERALLY improve with each revision, so there's no "use 166.8 for THIS game, and 173.5 for THAT game, and don't ever use 181.22!." There's always the exception, but those exceptions generally apply to older out of production cards.
 
Anyone find out if Omega Drivers work?

really, they are like 5x more stable than CCC regular deal. I just want to know about 3870. He hasnt released a driver or a comment on them yet.

I am on XP
 
I have a Visiontek 3870 512MB card and I use 7.11's on Vista 64. I really wouldn't trust 3rd party drivers.
 
you trust both vista and the 64 bit version.

i wouldnt trust your opinion on this!

:eek:
 
you trust both vista and the 64 bit version.

i wouldnt trust your opinion on this!

:eek:

Well, don't fucking ask for opinions, obviously I'm using Vista 64 and I'm not making a thousand threads about the problems I'm having, which are none, so maybe you should trust my opinion, seeing how I've used the Omega drivers before.
 
I stated up front that I am on xp

I know that the omega guy thinks vista is a hunk of crap so he is reluctant to move to it yet. I dont know if he is going to do xp again for a new card. He seems to roll these out super fast considering he is one person, at least lately.

Vista = ccc and 7.11

xp = something other than netframework failing to initialize ccc for "security" reasons on millions of computers randomly on reboot... without a bug fix for it in 3 years. aka, omega driver time
 
I stated up front that I am on xp

I know that the omega guy thinks vista is a hunk of crap so he is reluctant to move to it yet. I dont know if he is going to do xp again for a new card. He seems to roll these out super fast considering he is one person, at least lately.

Vista = ccc and 7.11

xp = something other than netframework failing to initialize ccc for "security" reasons on millions of computers randomly on reboot... without a bug fix for it in 3 years. aka, omega driver time
What in the heck are you talking about, XP works perfectly fine with 3870's and previous cards.
 
ever wonder why the omega guy made that drivers website?

thats why. ccc is terrible, and ati is too slow in fixing bugs for non current cards
 
ever wonder why the omega guy made that drivers website?

thats why. ccc is terrible, and ati is too slow in fixing bugs for non current cards

Ever wonder why you seem to be the only one complaining in this forum about CCC?

Have you checked your memory timings? Maybe run a couple tests of orthos? I'm starting to think you might just have an unstable system...
 
Compared to the latest Nvidia driver control panel/Ntune combo, CCC doesn't seem quite so bloated these days. :)

You MUST use CCC if you want to enable Crossfire, no getting around it, none of the freeware programs like ATITool or Rivatuner will let you do this. If you're running Vista, CCC is totally painless and snappy. If you're running XP, there can be long load times with it.

I recommend the "Crysis Hotfix" drivers based on the 7.11 WHQL set if you're planning on playing Crysis (duh). If you're not playing Crysis, then the 7.11 WHQL drivers will be your best bet. You don't want ANY driver older than 7.11 with your 38xx cards, as they won't be properly supported.

The WHQL 7.12's should be released in a week or so, and will include the Crysis fixes plus other improvements (and hopefully some 38xx specific love, like dual monitor while in Crossfire)

ATI is on a monthly driver update schedule, so that the package name refers to the Year.Month they were released..so 7.12's for December 2007, and 8.1's for January 2008, 8.2 for February, etc.

Whatever driver is listed on the AMD/ATI site is usually the best one to pick, though sometimes hotfix drivers are needed (and hotfix fixes make it into the next WHQL revision, or the one after that)

ATI drivers GENERALLY improve with each revision, so there's no "use 166.8 for THIS game, and 173.5 for THAT game, and don't ever use 181.22!." There's always the exception, but those exceptions generally apply to older out of production cards.
Excellent read:cool: I appreciate your feedback.....
 
Ever wonder why you seem to be the only one complaining in this forum about CCC?

Have you checked your memory timings? Maybe run a couple tests of orthos? I'm starting to think you might just have an unstable system...

half of the people in this forum never used omega it seems. this forum has about 100 people on a regular basis who post within a month. not really indicative. look at how unstable netframework is with CCC and you will see the issue all over the net.

ccc is fine, except it is written for netframework which is a hunk of crap and a massive security hole. even xp shuts down netframework as um.. security hole at times. just have to start digging. its a hunk of shit.
 
half of the people in this forum never used omega it seems. this forum has about 100 people on a regular basis who post within a month. not really indicative. look at how unstable netframework is with CCC and you will see the issue all over the net.

ccc is fine, except it is written for netframework which is a hunk of crap and a massive security hole. even xp shuts down netframework as um.. security hole at times. just have to start digging. its a hunk of shit.

So, are you saying omega drivers might be the better choice as i wont have to install .net framework?
 
YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL OFFICIAL DRIVERS WITH CCC FROM ATI.COM FOR CROSSFIRE FUNCTION!

Unless something has changed in the past few hours, you cannot run crossfire without CCC, now newls1, why do you choose to listen to the misinformed?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=181025

Easy bro....easy;) I'm am totally clueless when it comes to ATi, so I am trusting each and everyone of you in this post for info....
 
So, are you saying omega drivers might be the better choice as i wont have to install .net framework?

you know what?

thats a profound thought! Jeez. yes, that is true. I am about to wipe my machine clean and reinstall windows. I have a strong feeling that netframework is responsible for a lot of bizarre multimedia glitches. I havent found a program that requires it besides CCC that I can think of or use.

however, that is only on XP pro and XP home. vista = framework as omega hasnt done that yet.
 
Back
Top