Current 43" 4K options?

Nice, I bought the same one to hold me over until the high refresh 43" panels release but haven't hooked it up yet because I need to make room on my desk beside of the OLED. Figured the Acer would be nicer to use for productivity stuff as it's a better size for a monitor. Glad to hear the positive feedback. I read about the IR but I don't care about that for what I'll be using it for. Thanks for posting.

Some people think the 40"+ monitors are too big, but you're now as hooked as the rest of us. :)

So you say "too big", well compared to my 2 x 27 1440's on a dual monitor arm.. . I think I actually gained 6 inches of desk space by going to the big flat Acer ET430k. The monitor arms caused the other displays to stick out from the wall 6 or so inches (even though it "hovered" over my desk and I could slide a keyboard under it). This one goes all the way back to the wall. So I "gained" desk space by going to a bigger monitor, crazy right?

Gor pavel I have a Vizio E43-F1 currently in use as a PC monitor. I just got it last weekend, despite some of the negative reports, because I figured, eh, even if I don't like it as a monitor, it's tough to beat as a budget TV for the current sale price.

Anyways, I've been fiddling around with the settings on my PC and I'm not having any of the issues that have been reported. There was a user report on rtings about 4:4:4 not seeming to work properly on the unit but that hasn't been my experience. I did need to go into the input settings menu and set "full UHD color" for the inputs that the PCs are using; it does not default to that being enabled. The rtings user said this was done in their test, but also mentioned an NVIDIA GPU. I've got two systems I've connected, both Radeons, so that is a difference for sure. That user comment was also posted on October 15, and they've had at least one firmware update since then (the rtings review mentions that the "watchfree" thing was added in an update on November 15), so it's possible the issue did exist and was resolved. The firmware version on mine reports 1.1.14.1.

I've got the inputs set to the "computer" mode and I dropped the backlight from 75 (the default for this mode) down to 50. I haven't made any other changes to it and so far I haven't had a reason to do so.

I can also enable HDR / WCG in Windows 10, though I understand the TV doesn't have a wide gamut so I'm not sure how that works. Turning it on makes the desktop look washed out. The TV detects it as HDR10 when it is enabled. I used this video to see if I could notice any differences (the running theory being that it won't be very noticeable on this model):

Being able to flip back and forth between SDR and HDR output made it easy to see differences in scenes (the biker at 0:45 was especially noticeable). I'm quite happy with the HDR picture on this set. It's not pushing the crazy bright vivid colors of the 55" Sony X900F I have in my living room (there's really no comparison between the two, I mean, this cost less than 25% what I paid for the Sony), but I think for gaming on a PS4 or Xbox One it would be pretty good. Probably for PC use as well, but I don't like the way it makes the desktop look and I don't stream a lot of video on this PC anyways (nor do I have any PC games that support HDR), so I'll probably be leaving it off for PC use.

My two GPUs are a Ryzen APU system that's doing 4k60 and a Radeon Fury (which can only do 4k30 over HDMI, so I'm not using it right now). I've used Radeon Settings to toggle between color modes; the TV seems to detect whether it's getting YCbCr or RGB (Radeon settings defaulted to YCbCr 4:4:4 once I enabled the "full UHD color" for the inputs), and I'm using the RGB 4:4:4 full setting for it. (edit - a later conversation with Vizio support confirmed that the set only supports the RGB limited space, so I've changed this setting, but I can't really see a difference).

I've used these test images:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/img/blacktest.png
https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/ho...-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

And they both display without any problems (specifically, I can read the bottom two lines in the color test, and can make out all of the squares in the black test, although admittedly 1 and 2 are really hard to see).

I sit about 30" from the display and I'm not seeing any of the pattern that Kdawg mentioned. I did try to get really close to the display and at about 5" I can see a "pattern" that might just be the individual pixels, but at my normal viewing distance everything looks solid. I'd heard the same things about the 2017 version, but it doesn't seem to apply to the 2018 model.

I've tried taking close-up pictures of the screen but they keep coming out blurry. The one that I did get that was clear had this weird moire effect on it that I can't see with my eyes from any angle or distance. But I have a really old (circa 2004) digital camera so that's probably a factor.

The only downside I've found so far is that the the display is bigger than the dimensions made me think it would be. Like, I'd guessed about where I would be putting it on the desk based on the dimensions. Once I got it set up I found I was having to look up and down, left and right to see the whole thing. Pushing it back as far as I could got me to the current viewing distance and it's almost right. If I could get another 2-3" distance it'd be perfect.

I don't have anything even close in size for a comparison, but I think the rtings review holds up even for the 43" version. I'll try to post back in a couple weeks to see if I'm still feeling the same way, but so far I'm super happy with it.

[edit] also wanted to point out that while I'm experiencing the dreaded "windows 10 loses HDMI audio output on sleep" issue with this setup, this post on the Kodi forums has fixed it for me. When the system wakes up there's a bit of a delay where it shows up as "Default monitor" and then it switches to the custom INF and the audio is restored. Not perfect, but better than having to reboot or disable/enable things in the device manager.

[edit2] for S&G I set Guild Wars 2 to 2560x1440 @ 60hz and it works. Curious I also tried this on the desktop and it also works. Although text in Windows is a bit blurry (tried with and without GPU scaling, it's just a little hard to read) it also runs at 60hz there. The rtings review stated that 1440p@60hz wasn't supported, so either there has been a firmware update that added it, something with the custom INF that enabled it, or the E43-F1 supports it where the model they tested does not.

I really wish I knew why my vizio (E43-f1) wasn't doing 4:4:4. I have lastest firmware and full hd color is on. I'm at a loss for words as to why it seems to be working for others but not me.

Edit: apparently it works if I select ycbcr444 but if I select RGB in nvidia control panel it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I picked up an Acer DM431K from Microcenter for $399.
  • LED Backlight
  • Picture in Picture (PiP)
  • HDR10 (still gotta get something to check this out)
  • Acer Bluelight Shield
  • Frame Rate Control (FRC)
Looks great, really nice glossy screen for those who like them (like me). I has the most minimal anti-glare I've ever seen. Still working on configuration, but I'm pretty happy so far. It sits a tiny bit lower than the Philips 43" on my desk but for the 1/2 the price was a great deal.
If anyone wants to share configuration or a calibration settings, that would be great as I'm coming up with nothing searching for a review on the googles.

I picked up an Acer DM431K from Microcenter for $399.
  • LED Backlight
  • Picture in Picture (PiP)
  • HDR10 (still gotta get something to check this out)
  • Acer Bluelight Shield
  • Frame Rate Control (FRC)
Looks great, really nice glossy screen for those who like them (like me). I has the most minimal anti-glare I've ever seen. Still working on configuration, but I'm pretty happy so far. It sits a tiny bit lower than the Philips 43" on my desk but for the 1/2 the price was a great deal.
If anyone wants to share configuration or a calibration settings, that would be great as I'm coming up with nothing searching for a review on the googles.
You sure this is HDR? It looks like it only does 250nits.

I looked on some other sites and it's not listed as HDR.

But it should be easy to see if Windows allows HDR to be turned on.

However, getting HDR content outside of games on the PC can be hard.

You're right, it does not say HDR content can be turned on... and that's why I picked it up in the third place. Price and glossy screen were 1st/2nd.

YouTube has plenty of HDR content. Turn on HDR in Windows, use Google Chrome and when you open a HDR video it should show HDR text where the quality is shown.

Good to know.

I remember when I first got my HDR set that YouTube on browser didn't work right but the same videos on the Smart TV app looked way better.

Maybe they have fixed it since then. Thanks.

Back