Curious about VirtualDub

Well guys, I've never really delved into the realm of encoding and decoding files, but I'm somewhat interested enough to research it. I've happened to come across the path of a program called VirtualDub that apparently encodes certain types of files into .avi versions. This is particularly helpful (in theory) because I have several .iso's of some DVD's I own on my hard drives and I'd love to turn them into a less space-consuming format and DivX supported .avi's can do just that. Their visual and audio quality is more than enough for me.

However, I'm curious - Does this program actually have the ability to encode an .iso file of a DVD movie into a DivX compatible .avi file? I lightly browsed the home site's forums, but really didn't notice anything that would answer such a question. No doubt, I'm sure quite a few of you utilize this program and I'm sure you can answer this fairly simple question.

Dark Assassin

Haven't played with it much. You do have to have a separate MP3 enooder (i.e. LAME) to do audio. GK is supposed to be good as well.

Though, I have to ask, how small do you want it? DVD Shrink will make the files a LOT smaller than their original size (down to half, if memory serves or you can do specific file sizes) but it will stay as a VOB file. That's ok, though, all players that I'm aware play a VOB file without issue.

Point is, why add an extra step if you don't need to? Haven't used it though, so I'm not sure.

Arkamw,

I suppose the maximum file size amount would have to be what a regular CD-R can hold or about 700 MB's.

And I guess I'd have to ask then (assuming I don't want to fiddle with Gordian Knot as well), is there any program known that can perform such a feat of simply convert an .iso to a .avi file?

Dark Assassin

Back