Curious about how "secure" your system is? Try this...

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Secunia, one of the leading providers of security and vulnerability information and testing out there (if not the leading one), has created a relatively new tool that will, using their considerable database of security issues and potential vulnerabilities floating around out there - sorry, this is for Windows only, peeps - called Secunia Personal Software Inspector. You can get more information here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

(and just for the record they do have a browser-based scanning option available, but still it only works on the Windows platform)

I'm running Windows 7 x86 currently, build 7260, and using Microsoft's Security Essentials beta software for AV/malware duties. I ran the Secunia PSI just a few moments ago and it gave me a relatively clean bill of health at 97% - the only issue/warning was that the Adobe Acrobat Reader I had (v9.1) needed to be updated with an incremental security update to 9.1.2. Pretty slick damned stuff if I do say so myself, it even provided the download link in the Secunia PSI client without needing to open a browser or a new tab.

Very cool stuff.

Considering who produces this app, I can't do much BUT to recommend it very highly at this point. It's fast, quick, efficient, and can certainly point out stuff you may not be aware of including needed and available updates to pretty much every piece of software you may have installed.

Have fun, always...

It gave me 98% because I'm running Java 6.7, but I was aware of that and run that version because of compatibility.

I tried the advanced mode and it dropped me to 85% because it detected MPC as EoL and also several office viewers I had in my documents folder from old college work stuff. It also said that Shockwave was out of date and that's fine because I turn off the auto updater so I am also aware of that.

Otherwise, nothing new, moving on.

85%, but because I don't have some updated software.
iTunes(and other Apple apps), TightVNC, VLC and Foxit are old.
Nice to see what I have to update. I don't usually check for new Foxit updates.

100percent.png

Under advanced it showed that Adobe AIR wasn't patched (I never use or have used it anyways), and some Opera/FF Flash 9 plugins in the Adobe folder (not browser folder) were not patched. I don't use flash in FF and I've never installed Opera, but I installed both suggested patches anyways.

It was pretty much what I expected. I always keep the stuff I use patched. Neat tool, but unnecessary for me. Uninstalling...

Neat tool, but unnecessary for me. Uninstalling...
Yep, pretty pointless if you already know what's going on with your systems.

I wonder what other data mining this program does...based on the fact that it geo traceroutes your IP address (based on the screenshot above)..I'm sure it's doing more.

Neat tool. I didn't know about the reader 9 vulnerability because I hardly ever use it.. but I patched it and all is good now.

that program reeks of datamining... something that looks at basically everything on your computer and determines what might be a potential security hole.. and then never sharing or retaining that info with anyone? yea...

I knew this probably wouldn't give me 100% anyway, because I've got auto-updating on my CS4 suite turned off... (I hate the way Adobe handles that stuff).

But I've got the Windows 7 RC, and NOD32 v4.0.424 with the latest signature updates.

But mine scored 78%.
1) 10 Adobe plugins out of date (hmmm :))
2) AnyDVD out of date
3) Firefox out of date (I don't run it but once in a blue moon, and always patch it when I do....)

Updating the Adobe stuff brought me up to 94%.
Updating AnyDVD brought me up to 98%.
Updating FF brought it up to 100%.

This is a good version-checker, but I see a couple problems...
1) Software not in it's database won't get reported
2) Only checks software from what I can see... Not Firewall settings, AV, etc

Last edited:
I also just ran Advanced. That gave me a 100% as well.

Good to know?:confused:

It's been sitting at 93% for the last 10 minutes, and I've a fairly speedy system without much software installed.

No Adobe software on my machine (Foxit Reader FTW!) and I scored 100%. Yay. Uninstalling.

I bet this app makes all those guys against updating pretty mad. :p

I bet this app makes all those guys against updating pretty mad. :p

Well, the thing is, it's pretty useful... It actually seems to be aware which updates are actually ones you need to apply versus just feature updates.

But like I said, for me- the only thing I don't have auto-updating is my CS4 stuff, and I keep that from getting to the Internet all together...

Interesting program. Only the tinfoil hat wearers will worry about all the datamining. It's nothing Google doesn't have already. ;)

But anyways this program has a few flaws with how it looks at the versions. For instance older versions of Java wouldn't remove the previous entry from the Program List so if you auto-updated you would see something like this:

Java 6 Update 4
Java 6 Update 7

Now with the latest versions of Java you just see this:

Java

This program saw both of the previous Java entries on my computer and called them insecure even though I only had a single Java installed and it was the latest (update 14). Only way to correct it was to uninstall Update 4 and Update 7 thus uninstalling Java completely from my computer then reinstalling Update 14.

Another way to really see how secure your PC is go download the DISA/DoD Windows Gold Disk (it's free to the public). It tells you every possible thing that DISA considers a possible security hole. You can also get Security INF templates from DISA as well to analyze Local Security Policies.

It's been sitting at 93% for the last 10 minutes, and I've a fairly speedy system without much software installed.

Yea mine did that too. I ended up uninstalling java (useless pos anyway), but it kept flagging flash as unpatched even after I downloaded the file from the link the psi provided and installed it. :confused: Other than that, I needed adobe air and winrar patches. flash/air/java not being patched aren't that big of deals for me since I disable them in the browser I use (IE8) except for trusted sites (basically just microsoft.com and youtube.com.) Pretty neat program I guess but could use some work.

Last edited:
I use FileHippo Update Checker to ensure I have the latest updates. So what am I missing?

I use FileHippo Update Checker to ensure I have the latest updates. So what am I missing?

Thanks for turning me on to that FileHippo updater. I like that It will run at startup and close itself if it doesn't fine any updates.

*big image showing 100% rating*

Under advanced it showed that Adobe AIR wasn't patched (I never use or have used it anyways), and some Opera/FF Flash 9 plugins in the Adobe folder (not browser folder) were not patched. I don't use flash in FF and I've never installed Opera, but I installed both suggested patches anyways.

It was pretty much what I expected. I always keep the stuff I use patched. Neat tool, but unnecessary for me. Uninstalling...

you couldnt just.... say that you got a perfect score? was that picture really necessary?

you couldnt just.... say that you got a perfect score? was that picture really necessary?
It's not unusual that some people are not going to install it and want to see it. Read the posts below mine.

An installer under a meg? Could have at least offered a compressed/non-installer version. -.-

Usefulness win. I just wish I could figure out how to stop it auto-starting *feels stupid*. I've looked in MSCONFIG and can't find squat... Same for the auto-start user folders.

I like it, i just don't need "real-time" alerts.

*adds to security toolkit*

But I've got the Windows 7 RC, and NOD32 v4.0.424 with the latest signature updates.

Actually, the latest NOD32 is 4.0.437

Anyways, I scored 100%. Figures as I always check for updates (manually of course) for all of my applications.

I can only image what my cousins' score with their computer, I haven't been to their house in ages. God only knows that it still has SP2 installed and several month old definitions of Spybot and Spywareblaster.

Back