Curious about HDMI to DVI adapters

Cally

Limp Gawd
The wife wants to get a larger (24") LCD Monitor as part of a new computer. I told her I would give her mine and get a new one with a HDMI plugin. Then I read about adapter plugs that go from HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI. Is the quality of the screen compromised any using one of these adapters? Or is it improved greatly feeding it HDMI through a DVI connector? Or should I just buy a new monitor for myself with a HDMI plug? The whole issue gets confusing to me. Wondering if monitors are less expensive if they don't have HDMI plugs ?

There are single and dual link HDMI/DVI cables. The singles will handle up to 1080i. A dual link cable is necessary for higher resolutions/frame rates.

I just upgraded my computer/tv - NVidia 6150/720p, to a ATI 3450/1080i The video card NVidia 6150 could handle sending out 1360/768 resolution, but could not handle sending out 1920/1080 resolution.

The ATI 3450 has no problem at 1920/1080 resolution. Same quality of picture using DVI on the computer to either the DVI or HDMI on the TV.

HDMI uses DVI video signaling. HDMI and DVI are literally the exact same in terms of video quality because they are the exact same signal, an adapter is a purely mechanical one there are no electronic parts that change the signal across the wire in any way.

Also, you don't really need to worry about noise in a digital connection like HDMI; unlike an analog signal, a digital signal will either work or not work, there's no middle ground with fuzziness or what have you. The only noticable effect noise will have is shortening the maximum cable length, but that's talking in the tens of feet. Unless it's made out of dirt or something a 6 foot cable isn't going to have any problems.

A connection coming loose is a problem with HDMI which has no retention mechanism other than friction. Unless your wires get bumped a lot, it's probably not an issue though.

Monitors without HDMI might be slightly cheaper to manufacture because the manufacturer has to pay a royalty for implementing it in their products. I doubt that that has much impact on the price of the monitor for the consumer.

Basically, if your monitor has a digital connection, HDMI or DVI, with HDCP, you're set to use any recent computer as well as most mid-to-high end video equipment including the Xbox 360 and the PS3. If you want to connect multiple devices to a single digital input on a monitor, you can just get an HDMI switchbox from monoprice for very cheap.

So many knowledgeable people on these forums. Thank you for your help.

There are single and dual link HDMI/DVI cables. The singles will handle up to 1080i. A dual link cable is necessary for higher resolutions/frame rates.

Hmm, question about that then... my new monitor came with a HDMI-DVI-D cable, but the cable is listed as single link (and the DVI pinout is indeed only single link). I'm currently running at 1920x1080 with no problems though, and everything looks great.

Would there be some benefit to getting a dual link HDMI-DVI-D cable, or am I misunderstanding how it works? Does it have something to do with interlaced / progressive output, or does that not matter from a computer to a LCD monitor?

Single link DVI goes up to 1920x1200 resolution. Higher resolutions such as those found on 30" monitors require a dual link connection.

Back