Cubitek Mini Cube

EQWoody

Limp Gawd
I had a case being made by an artisan on OCnet and it kind of fell through, So I decided to go with the Cubitek Mini Cube for my new case!

I will start by saying this thing is a DREAM to work with, anyone looking at getting a Q08 or Q18 from Lian Li get this instead.

I planned on doing a whole bunch of modding to this case by cutting more wire management but I ended up not really needing it. I like the way my 24 pin looks in it and same with my pci-e.

Modding List:
  • Paint all bare aluminum white (Completed 7/4/13
  • Custom smoked acrylic side panel
  • Custom case feet
  • White LED strips

Future Part List

1. GTX 760
  2. New CPU Cooler (undecided)
  3. White LED 92mm Fan

Anyways enough jibber jabber and on with the pics.

The day I got the case I put my gear in it just to see how it all looked, I love it.

Today the weather was finally good enough to paint so I went to my in laws where I keep my tools and went to town.

Here's the case taken apart.

Here is the case with first coat of primer, this is boring to look at...

Oh look! Magically finished painting and put back together

Here she is all done with paint. The case feet look nasty on it right now but I think the paint came out great. Also that fan has a white LED it just looks blue in pictures.

The paint looks pretty good. I don't mind the feet, but that's just me. Looking forward for more updates.

Good work so far.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get some more work done to it before the lan next week.

Doesn't Woody sell any graphic cards? :D
Like the way you go with the black and white colour scheme though I thought it to be grey until I carefully read your description. But I guess that's due to lighting in the pics.

Doesn't Woody sell any graphic cards? :D
Like the way you go with the black and white colour scheme though I thought it to be grey until I carefully read your description. But I guess that's due to lighting in the pics.

Lol I AM Woody. I had a buddy 3D print me those. I don't think they look too grey except for in the primer photo.

I did a couple of simple things tonight while just spending an hour staring at the case looking for ways to clean it up.

I pulled the Cubitek logo off the front but since they drill holes to mount their logo (stop doing this please) I had to cover it. So I used this.

umJs02A.jpg

Next I removed the top USB and headphone plugs that I dont use since I have some on my keyboard to clean up the cable managment...

Before

bwbXWzw.jpg

After

IS3xj0O.jpg

Now I just need to make a plate or something to cover the top holes. Any suggestions? I think I'm burning myself out with the Woody logo.

A piece of wood maybe? Or a little display, temperatures and everything?

When the wood is made really thin and with the littlest of holes one can see LED lights through it. So that might be an option, too, depending on tools available.

Edit: here's a clock in a German shop similar to thinkgeek so you know what I mean: http://www.getdigital.de/products/LED_Holzuhr

Last edited:
That's a very cool case. It's fun to see it in the hands of a modder rather than just in a review article.

For the USB/Audio, I'd just assume put them back on. You're really not gaining a whole lot in terms of cable management (at least from the view point with the side panel off). I'd put them back on and be done with it. Most anything you do, beyond filling in the holes and color-matching the entire black anodized section, is going to attract more attention to that spot than the USB/Audio ports would.

Great work, keep it up!

That's a very cool case. It's fun to see it in the hands of a modder rather than just in a review article.

For the USB/Audio, I'd just assume put them back on. You're really not gaining a whole lot in terms of cable management (at least from the view point with the side panel off). I'd put them back on and be done with it. Most anything you do, beyond filling in the holes and color-matching the entire black anodized section, is going to attract more attention to that spot than the USB/Audio ports would.

Great work, keep it up!

Well for now to make it not have a hole I placed a piece of matte acrylic underneath it with some scotch 4010 mounting tape.

lSGjlWE.jpg

I'm assuming based on your "woody" logos you have or have access to a 3D printer? Try printing a back panel with raised areas to fill in the USB and audio cutouts flush with the outside of the case. Just use the existing countersunk holes to fasten it. It wouldn't be perfectly color matched, but it wouldn't look half bad!

Also, what happened to your DD Lan Tower? Did that sell without me knowing it!!?

just wondering if there were any updates on the build? im getting some parts together to build a rig, this case looks awesome.

just wondering if there were any updates on the build? im getting some parts together to build a rig, this case looks awesome.

Whoa hey sorry I totally spaced on this site for posting my log. The case is now finished. here are some photos.

The only thing I need to actually finish is the PSU cover, right now it's some foam that I cut to size so I can make one from acrylic when I'm unlazy.

sLRNoOf.jpg

k6gKKbX.jpg

mother of god, that looks sexy as fuck, great job :) how are your temps? im planning on an air build with a 3770 and a 770, any ideas how they would fare in this case?

Last edited:
mother of god, that looks sexy as fuck, great job :) how are your temps? im planning on an air build with a 3770 and a 770, any ideas how they would fare in this case?

Should be just fine, my temps are pretty close to stock temps with air coolers. I just wanted to have the look. You should be fine with temps if you mount a decent fan in the bottom to feed air to you graphics card, and maybe even do a 92mm exhaust. I'd get noctua fans. I'm using a gentle typhoon in mine.

Honestly I might sell this rig soon to start on another project.

So since you have experience with the case, do you think/is it possible to mod the 92 mm fan on the back to 120mm and then fit a H60? i was thinking of cutting it with a cheap rotary tool as i dont mod much but i think a 120mm fan would be nice. sorta like this http://i.imgur.com/puNiin7.jpg

So since you have experience with the case, do you think/is it possible to mod the 92 mm fan on the back to 120mm and then fit a H60? i was thinking of cutting it with a cheap rotary tool as i dont mod much but i think a 120mm fan would be nice. sorta like this http://i.imgur.com/puNiin7.jpg

In theory it looks and sounds like a good idea, but it simply will not fit. I was going to do the same thing.

Yea thanks, i read up on it and i finally put together my parts, i sort of went with your template but i dont have the experience or tools i need to mod it. Here is mine that i put together yesterday, my gtx 660 will arrive tomorrow and i will put it in. http://i.imgur.com/3SrVUwh.jpg . I want to put an acrylic window like you have but i have never done any modding without screwing up lol. If you ever want to sell your acrylic side window let me know! :)

Back