CSU/DSU and firewall

acbarnes

n00b
I am approaching new territory and want to get some help.

We are going to have a Watchguard XTM 505 unit in place. We want to plug our Paradyne 7112 unit in to it via the out-dated 10Base-T port. The problem I am faced with now is do we have to configure the CSU/DSU or can we just plug it in and go.

The exiting setup is CSU/DSU > Cisco 1700 Router > Switch.
We want to go >CSU/DSU > XTM 505 > Switch.

If needed we will keep the router in place and have a Cisco Certified Professional come out to configure it so it can communicate the way we want it to.

is the Paradyne hooked to the 1700 with a V.35 cable now? Chances are that the RJ45 port you see on the Paradyne is for configuration only, not an ethernet output. The easiest option would probably be to just reprogram the 1700 and use it inline between the Watchguard and the Paradyne

Another option would be to get a Cisco router with a WIC-1DSU-T1 card and just patch the RJ48 from your provider straight into it and use the ethernet port to go to your firewall, eliminates 1 piece in the chain

Yes the Paradyne is connected with a V.35 cable. The back of the Paradyne has the 10Base-T and a terminal port. The 10Base-T line I would figure will get us access to what we need since the MFG date is May 1999.

The model is 7112-A1-201, and I can't get any info online about it. The manufacturer was aquired by another company. Now the issue is, I don't know how to configure it so I can test it. We don't have the firewall unit yet but I would like to find out how to configure it.

The ethernet port on the csu/dsu is only for snmp/telnet management according to the document below.

http://www.interlinkweb.com/systemics/assets/product_images/PDN/7112.pdf

With the age of that equipment, you may considering replacing it with an 1841 & T1 interface for connectivity upstream. Another option would be to contact your service provider to see what they offer. I know where I live many of the service providers will provide the equipment to give the customer a ethernet connection to the network. I know it wasn't mentioned, but you may just check with the service provider first, you never know if that equipment might be theirs or not.

That would be nice, the 1841, if funding would allow it. State funding doesn't go that far sadly. I think the best thing to do is to leave the CSU/DSU connected to the router (cisco 1700) and just configure it to work with the Firewall.

It may be our only option.

Ah, a state project, I feel your pain.

Configuring the cisco to work with the firewall like that shouldn't be bad at all, and if by chance do you have any funding become available, putting a t1-wic in the 1700 would at least get the csu/dsu out of there.

Those 1700's are decent routers for the smaller pipes, I've got about 300 in the field.

Back