CSS: Whats limiting me?

KoSMoKeNNy

Limp Gawd
Im starting to get a little ticked off at how my comp is running cs in the more intense moments of the game. On Aztec, I average about 40-50 fps, but when I get in firefights it often drops down into the twenties. And Prodigy is worse. Im lucky to keep it running over 30 just running around the map. Specs as follows:

Biostar IDEQ 200T w/ p4 3.0c @ 3.17
BFG 6800GT @ 400/1100
1 gig generic 3200 ram

games running at 1680x1050 with max detail and no AA

Should I expect my system to run that slow at these settings? And if not, whats the problem?

maybe u can try to lower your resolution.

i had the same problem when i had my 6800gt. it kept dropping down to 35fps in action.
thought it was my cpu holding me back, but i got a different card, and now im never below 57fps. so i guess it wasnt my cpu. i was only running at 1280x960 in MP games and 1600x1200 in SP games.

If I hadnt spend 1000+ on my graphics card and monitor, I would be more willing to turn down the resolution. But for that kind of money, I want my freakin eye candy. This freakin thing is pissing me off. And to top it all off, the government shut off my internet and I had to install SP2 to get onto my neighbors wifi and now the game keeps crashing my comp. Argh.

And as for the power supply, an IDEQ is a SFF. I cant exactly cram a neopower in there. Besides, my computer has run just fine for the couple months Ive had the GT, with the exception of hl2. Id thought I was rather cpu bound until I started playing prodigy with all of its flashy effects and so forth killing my frame rate. Most of the time the drops are during grenade and bomb explosions that sends crap flying. But Id at least like to boost the minimum frame rate so it doesnt drop below 40ish.

KoSMoKeNNy said:
And to top it all off, the government shut off my internet and I had to install SP2 to get onto my neighbors wifi and now the game keeps crashing my comp. Argh.

hehe that definitely doesn't sound good at all. dare we ask how the government decided to do this? did that 1000+ on monitor / gcard run you out of internet? and for that matter how exactly DID you decide to stick with a 200 watt PSU?

edit: d'oh! i reread and saw the psu explanation.

anyways get a better psu asap... and 20's? ouch.. the only time i get into the 20's is in de_chateau, which everyone, including those fx-55 and sli 6800UE or whatever.. because that map has some serious bugs.. anyways... try updating your mobo's bios to something newer if it's not the lastest already..and at that res. with no AA...... you shouldn't be dropping so low...I play cs:s all the time at 1600x1200 max settings 4xAA and 16xAF... never drops under 50 on non buggy maps...(mostly de_chateau) and your at ultra speeds too... hmmm the only thing i can think of is update mobo bios, chipsets.. etc... reinstall drivers....and get a better psu!

sounds like you just got a fp2005w? try using a standard resolution and see if it can fix your problem.

For those dudes who say that his PSU needs upgrading ASAP, that 200W SFF PSU is more than adequate for the little cube it powers. Just think about it, one AGP slot, and one PCI slot. That's a pretty significant reduction in power demands, is it not? If it can run an overclocked 6800GT and 3.0C for months on end, then he doesn't need a new power supply. Watts means jackshit these days anyway.

_Korruption_ said:
If it can run an overclocked 6800GT and 3.0C for months on end, then he doesn't need a new power supply. Watts means jackshit these days anyway.

Quoted for truth. Try a new BIOS and what drivers are you using right now for the video card?

On board sound. If you're running high quality turn it to lower, if you see a huge difference... yep. Grab an Audigy 1 or 2.

_Korruption_ said:
For those dudes who say that his PSU needs upgrading ASAP, that 200W SFF PSU is more than adequate for the little cube it powers. Just think about it, one AGP slot, and one PCI slot. That's a pretty significant reduction in power demands, is it not? If it can run an overclocked 6800GT and 3.0C for months on end, then he doesn't need a new power supply. Watts means jackshit these days anyway.

So, despite the fact that the 6800GT can draw around 150W load (not even oc'ed), and that 3.0C probably around 75W, he doesn't need more than 200W? I'm certain it's probably not his biggest problem, but hey, he can always return the psu if it doesn't work. I'd say it's worth trying.

ehZn said:
So, despite the fact that the 6800GT can draw around 150W load (not even oc'ed), and that 3.0C probably around 75W, he doesn't need more than 200W? I'm certain it's probably not his biggest problem, but hey, he can always return the psu if it doesn't work. I'd say it's worth trying.

Where did you get those load numbers? The 6800GT pulls around 5 watts more than a 9800Pro at ~53 watts.

In my cube with a 250Watt I had
3.0c at 3.7
Gig of Ram
BFG6800GT-OC
DVD Burner
Trutle Beach Santa Cruz
WD Raptor Boot
300Gig Diamondmax Storage
2x 92mm fans

And it never even hiccuped. Ran hot as hell, but never gave me problems.

Kind of funny everyone screams BIGGER PSU! every time someone has vid card probs.

Just my .02 cents

typhoon43 said:
Where did you get those load numbers? The 6800GT pulls around 5 watts more than a 9800Pro at ~53 watts.

In my cube with a 250Watt I had
3.0c at 3.7
Gig of Ram
BFG6800GT-OC
DVD Burner
Trutle Beach Santa Cruz
WD Raptor Boot
300Gig Diamondmax Storage
2x 92mm fans

And it never even hiccuped. Ran hot as hell, but never gave me problems.

Kind of funny everyone screams BIGGER PSU! every time someone has vid card probs.

Just my .02 cents

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2299&p=2

Might have overestimated a bit (my fault for not looking first), but at load that oc'ed system easily draws over 200W constantly. How does that not translate to a bigger psu?

Aside from that argument, there's the obvious things like updating drivers, BIOS, cs:s itself, and like someone mentioned, using onboard sound.

You could try either lowering the rez or detail levels and see if it helps. If it doesn't, it may just mean it's the game.

Vsync should only slow it down to the monitors refresh rate.. shouldnt take it down any lower then 60hz. I have a 6800nu and had the same problems you have...I was getting killer bench marks on 3dmark05 but CS:S didnt play very good at all.. So I did a full reload.. my benchmarks are the same but my games play 100% better.. no more stutters in HL2 or CS:S. I used the same driver and overclocker/unlocker. I kept everything the same expect it had a fresh load on it. Not sure what fixed it but im glad it did.. Your GT should play CS:S perfeclty fine.. im playing it at 1280x1024 defaults on the rest and its perfectly smooth on my 17" LCD. AA-4 and all high detail. I would think you could run that high res with AA turned off.

Back