CSP Mag pump failure

killernoodle

2[H]4U
So I figured out today that my pump has not been working at all for god knows how long. My computer runs 24/7 and has been running unchecked for a LONG time (probably 6 months). So I open up the case today to put in a friend's HDD to fix it and find that my pump is not vibrating at all. Yeah, its siezed up. I look at my temps in the bios and I'm steady at 56C, which is strange considering its not getting any water except by whats being moved thermally. I have also been playing a lot of BF2 lately and never once experienced a problem with framerates and whatever (GPU is watercooled too).

This is all pretty interesting to me how nothing has broken yet because of this. I opened up my pump and found that the shaft had corroded a bit and was keeping it from moving. I got the corrosion off and now the impellor spins freely and it pumps fine. I'm running a 50% glycol 50% water mix (should require less maintainance) so I dont know why its corroded. There are no suspended particles in the fluid or anything after probably 6-8 months of constant running.

Be careful guys!

I guess its good to know that your system can withstand a pump failure. I had a hydor l20 that the impeller blades broke and though the pump was running no fluid was moving. I noticed my temps were steadilly in the high 40's insead of the high 20's-low 30's. I had no idea how long it was running like that as I had not looked at temps in a long time. Took a while to figure out what was wrong, but its always nice to see a pump failure doesn't always mean system death. Plus I always set the bios to turn off at 60c.

I have had a csp-mag in service since they first came out, and I just took it out to clean some algae and it still looks fine inside. I'd contact c-systems or where you bought the pump about it as that should not happen.

Back