• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CS:S Artifacting (Large Pics)

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
5,220
black_artifact1.jpg


black_artifact3.jpg


black_artifact4.jpg


black_artifact5.jpg


black_artifact6.jpg


black_artifact7.jpg



Video card: ASUS ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR w/ Zalman VF700AlCu

Motherboard: Epox 8RDA3+

CPU: A-XP 3200+

PSU: Xclio 450W that arrived yesterday

HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 160GB 7200RPM 2MB EIDE

RAM: 512MB PQI 2.5-4-4-8

In background while playing CS:S - Steam, Xear3D Audio, ATiTool (no overclocking, using for temperature monitoring), AIM 5.9.3861

24 processes, 174 MB

This black artifacting only happens when i have people in my screen, and in this game. When I'm alone on the server, there are NO artifacts at all. I played DOOM3 for an hour, some GTR FIA Racing, Max Payne 2, Counter-Strike 1.6, Ghost Recon, Battlefield 2, and FEAR demo. All has no artifacting at all except for CS:S when I have people in my screen. First happened when I had 5.8 API, decided to go back to 5.7 Omegadrivers, still the same problem.

Getting 12.10 on the 12v rail, all other voltages look pretty good enough to me. Temperatures idle at 25c mostly for the 9800XT and 26 for the memory on it, the load really shouldn't be higher than 35c in a 60c (cold) room.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, there are those black artifacts in FEAR. Let me try downloading ASUS' drivers.
 
What are 'API' drivers? Unless you meant to official catalysts I suggest you try them and if the problem persists report it at www.rage3d.com or something. I assume it's a software issue as all those temps seem fine, but don't rule out a hardware issue.
 
5.8 API is the regular Control Panel, not the Catalyst (without all the fancy GUI, extra stuff)
 
I had the same problem with my 9800 when I used Omega drivers, I uninstalled them, and used ATI's drivers, the full package, and it fixed my prob.
 
I had problems like that in Doom 3 and Call of Duty for quite a while. Oddly enough, the Catalyst 5.8's fixed my problem.
 
i feel your pain

my 9600 pro was doing something similar. i tired lots of drivers. if i went back too far, some of my games weren't happy (telling me to update my drivers).

i finally got so frustrated i just bought a x800pro (all i could afford)

sorry i cant help, i just wanted to let you know i was having the same problem.
 
I don't think it's the hardware issue so it may be teh driver issue. Try to use either 5.8 with CCC or 5.7 API , if not then try older driver. blah blah do w/e it take to solve ur artifactin problem.
 
Try changing the model quality to lower/higher, and then back to what you were using. This solved my weird problem like that.
 
Whatr do you mean by model quality?

EDIT: wtf, what's wrong with my card... all the black shit is gone after turning off CS:S's bumpmap (mat_bumpmap 0). Geez I must've wasted $400 last summer on this card.. :mad:

cssisweird.jpg


Seriously, what's wrong with it. I'm using a clean install WinXP with 5.8 CCC, and I do not get the black stuff when there is no person(s) in my screen. Same problem with the drivers downloaded from ASUS' site.
 
i dont think its artifacting, ive had MUCH worse of the same thing you are having... updated my drivers and it went poof

try removing and reinstalling the game?
 
in your first pics, those look like misplaced vertices, which are common effects of overclocking the ram on the vid card too far. Could also be due to the core, I suppose, but either way I'd guess hardware failure is imminent. If your card is overclocked, back down to stock speeds. If it's not overclocked, then it looks like you're going to be a victim of the typical "slow painful ati death syndrom" that the 9800's in particular are so fond of doing. Try running the artifact tester in atitool and see if it spits out any errors.
 
No artifacts for 32 minutes so far with ATiTool .24 =\ Card wasn't overclocked. This card can go up to 444/750 stable.
 
i had that same problem.. I tired everything i could think of untill oneday i reformatted and it fixed it..
 
Really? I should try that.. I never had the black stuff on my last format. nearly an hour so far without artifacts on ATiTool. Closing the prog now
 
Back
Top