Crysis vid.

Wow. Well, it's been interesting to learn that I have DNA in common with those that found this funny.

Cheers for posting it and all, but I got a bit confused when I realised i'd downloaded a video of a person shooting a wheel around the floor, then some fire extinguishers, then driving a jeep and playing clips from back to the future over it.

Here's a quote of my own:
"That was so bad, I think you gave me cancer".

Lovely.

Lulz, did you see that guyz kill/death ratio? he like toatally poned with the saw off shotgun with spread constrictor....:D

But I did like this video...

Ply

Wow. Well, it's been interesting to learn that I have DNA in common with those that found this funny.

Cheers for posting it and all, but I got a bit confused when I realised i'd downloaded a video of a person shooting a wheel around the floor, then some fire extinguishers, then driving a jeep and playing clips from back to the future over it.

Here's a quote of my own:
"That was so bad, I think you gave me cancer".

Lovely.

This man needs to get laid...

Vid was not funny but was worth the 10 second download I would say.

This man needs to get laid...

Vid was not funny but was worth the 10 second download I would say.

Ten seconds? I wasted fifteen minutes downloading it. Maybe if I could download that casually i'd be relaxed enough about it to post clichés in response to others' comments.

Ten seconds? I wasted fifteen minutes downloading it. Maybe if I could download that casually i'd be relaxed enough about it to post clichés in response to others' comments.

LOL I downloaded that at 3500kb/s

I guess I have all the time in the world to post cliches...

(btw I think its REALLY sad that you took the time to get the accentuation mark on the 'e' in cliche, yet couldn't capitalize "I'd")

(btw I think its REALLY sad that you took the time to get the accentuation mark on the 'e' in cliche, yet couldn't capitalize "I'd")

The "é" is a simple alt+130, and it's a misconception that things like "i'd" and "i've" have a capitalised "I". Only a standalone "I" is capitalised. In all other words the "I" is merely another letter. Or would it be smarter if we capitalised the "y" in "you'd"? Or better yet, the first letter of every word in a sentence?

Good effort, but ultimately flawed.

The "é" is a simple alt+130, and it's a misconception that things like "i'd" and "i've" have a capitalised "I". Only a standalone "I" is capitalised. In all other words the "I" is merely another letter. Or would it be smarter if we capitalised the "y" in "you'd"? Or better yet, the first letter of every word in a sentence?

On the contrary, you just proved my point quite nicely...

Whenever you use "I" to talk about yourself (i.e. using it as a pronoun), it's always going to be capitalized no matter what contraction it's part of.

Wikipedia said:
In English, the nominative form of the singular first-person pronoun, "I", is capitalized, along with all its contractions (I'll, I'm, etc).

quick, call the grammar police.

I gets capitalized even if it's I'm, I'd, or I've.

Fallacy. It doesn't matter whether it's on a wiki or a human-programmed piece of word processing software; if the people responsible for writing those have been exposed to errors like this, they perpetuate them and people like you think that because it's coming from a supposedly authoritative source, it's correct. One of the reasons I want to get an editorial position or linguistics qualification - people in a position whereby their mistakes are seen by thousands and percieved to be correct simply because they're written in a newspaper or magazine have a responsibility not to mislead those less ignorant, to get their fucking act together and make an effort.

You would have more success convincing people if you offered evidence to backup your statements from an authoritative source. The Chicago Manual of Style and The Borzoi Handbook for Writers are considered proper standards for American writing.

Fallacy. It doesn't matter whether it's on a wiki or a human-programmed piece of word processing software; if the people responsible for writing those have been exposed to errors like this, they perpetuate them and people like you think that because it's coming from a supposedly authoritative source, it's correct. One of the reasons I want to get an editorial position or linguistics qualification - people in a position whereby their mistakes are seen by thousands and percieved to be correct simply because they're written in a newspaper or magazine have a responsibility not to mislead those less ignorant, to get their fucking act together and make an effort.

You're a joke... (and you misspelled "perceived"... i before e except after c... lol)

Im still downloading, but I agree. the I'd vs i'd argument is fun to watch. AFAIK its I'm. You want to argue against that and you better provide some damn good evidense.

Oh, and I agree with Wally. Thats the stupidest crappiest waste of bandwidth Ive ever seen.

How does that reasoning make any sense at all. "I" is a pronoun (nominative form of the singular first-person), and its still a pronoun when used in a contraction. The word "you" isn't normally a pronoun, so you wouldn't capitalize it unless it's the beginning of the sentence. Why would you not capitalize the "I" if you all of the sudden you put it in a contraction. Example:
This is why I'm hot.
This is why I am hot.

Not: This is why i'm hot.

I've seriously never seen someone try to argue this before.

How does that reasoning make any sense at all. "I" is a pronoun (nominative form of the singular first-person), and its still a pronoun when used in a contraction. The word "you" isn't normally a pronoun, so you wouldn't capitalize it unless it's the beginning of the sentence. Why would you not capitalize the "I" if you all of the sudden you put it in a contraction. Example:
This is why I'm hot.
This is why I am hot.

Yeah, I actually applied a little non-drunken thought to this today and came to the same conclusion. Since "I'm" etc are contractions of "I am" as indicated by the apostrophe, the uppercase "I" in "I am" would remain so.

Colour me mistaken.

However:
Mongoloid said:
The Chicago Manual of Style and The Borzoi Handbook for Writers are considered proper standards for American writing.

Invalid. Since when was American English even anything other than laughable, let alone the standard?

Yeah, I actually applied a little non-drunken thought to this today and came to the same conclusion. Since "I'm" etc are contractions of "I am" as indicated by the apostrophe, the uppercase "I" in "I am" would remain so.

Colour me mistaken.

Nice save...:rolleyes:

My dog could have told you that

This is why I'm hot.
This is why I am hot.

I've seriously never seen someone quote a rap lyric to win an argument! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Why_I'm_Hot

Colour me mistaken.

However:

Invalid. Since when was American English even anything other than laughable, let alone the standard?

Whether or not American-English is considered some sort of degenerate language is irrelevant to its status as a standard. Take a look at the tech industry. Is Microsoft Windows a standard because it is the best OS of the bunch? What about the x86 cpu architecture? American-English is a standard in American writing because it carries the weight of spoken dialect, not because it is the pinnacle of the English language. Moreover American-English is a standardized dialect and has a legal status and institutional support (as does Southern English, BrE, and Indian English). When a country also happens to be as powerful as the United States, you can be sure it will become a standard regardless of what intellectuals may say.

Whether or not American-English is considered some sort of degenerate language is irrelevant to its status as a standard. Take a look at the tech industry. Is Microsoft Windows a standard because it is the best OS of the bunch? What about the x86 cpu architecture? American-English is a standard in American writing because it carries the weight of spoken dialect, not because it is the pinnacle of the English language. Moreover American-English is a standardized dialect and has a legal status and institutional support (as does Southern English, BrE, and Indian English). When a country also happens to be as powerful as the United States, you can be sure it will become a standard regardless of what intellectuals may say.

My point was that the examples he provided as "standards" were irrelevant.

When a country also happens to be as powerful as the United States, you can be sure it will become a standard regardless of what intellectuals may say.

Ah, you're one of those.

Ah, you're one of those.

You can gracefully bow out now instead of "perpetuating" this argument.
Your arguments were fallacious, just own up, and move on.
It would be the prudent thing to do :)

On that note, it would appear as if my post only further serves to perpetuate this nonsensical e-debate.

Back on topic.
The crysis vid = silly. :p
But mostly im disappointed because I thought someone had actually hit 88mph with the jeep, but come to find out that it 'tis not really so.

Your current point and what you have written in the previous post are two completely different answers. Calling American-English "laughable" is very different from saying "the examples he provided as "standards" were irrelevant." In any case, the Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook are considered writing standards in the United States. Both have been adopted by many academic institutions and industries. If you wish to work in the US as an editor or technical writer, you should be intimately familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style- it is your bible. Most copy editor/editor positions will insist you have extensive knowledge of CMS. If the US will never be a workplace for you, I know Fowler's Modern English Usage and The Oxford Style Manual both carry weight. There are so many English writing standards, both international and regional, that you'll surely find yourself bouncing back and forth between guides if you're writing for a wide audience.

Ah, you're one of those.

What exactly is it I'm one of?

I am pointing out that the US has significant influence upon other countries including English language development. I am not American nor is it necessary to be one in order to scope the vast changes instigated by business interests and popular culture. If you've ever seen the English curriculum of a non-English (non-Western) speaking country, you will see serious time and effort spent on American inflections, lexicon, and morphology. To keep it somewhat on topic look at Crysis and virtually every popular FPS on the market. There are huge nods and winks at American actions films. Why not use Kommando Spezialkräfte or some other German Special Forces division? Why bother with the horrid American clichés? Whether it is for good or bad, the US carries weight in the world- period. If none of you like that, you’ll be happy to hear China and India are well on their way to becoming superpowers.

I already have. Didn't you get that? Here:

Myself said:
Colour me mistaken.

I love how Hamidxa feels the need to contribute in any Crysis thread, regardless of whether his input is wanted, or even needed. GOD BLESS YA, GUV.

I think it would be more fun to keep provoking him to see how long it will take him to realize he has made a total ass of himself in this thread and to stop digging the hole any deeper... :D

Back