Crysis Preview

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Just about every gamer I know is anxiously awaiting the release date of Crysis. In the meantime, take a look at this designer diary covering some of the innovations of the game engine itself.

We at Crytek always want to think about what's next and how we can continue to improve. We were extremely proud of what we accomplished with Far Cry and the original CryEngine, but as a group we knew we could do much, much more, especially in certain areas of engine technology and game design. CryEngine 2 will push the envelope of those technical features in games, and below are some examples of what we looked at tackling.

OH MY!

when that blasts hits and the shockwave catches up....i was like WOW!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait for Unreal 3 and Crysis.....:D

Does anyone have links to the HD video version?
Streaming that video prolly doesnt do it much justice....:(

I watched this over at Gamespot today. And at the end of it, it wanted other developers to contact them and buy the rights to use there engine. This has been maybe the 2nd or 3rd such ad i've seen for this.

I think that's great and all. But I hope CryTek doesn't just stop at making an amazing game engine, but actually make an amazing game too.

FarCry is a big indication, so I shouldn't worry. But they are going to make some serious cash off that engine and I hope it doesn't go to their heads and they don't make a great game because of it.

I shouldn't worry but it kind of reminds me of before Doom 3 came out and they were trying to sell that engine before the release also.

I wouldn't sweat it. They have a perfect record so far on both the game and engine fronts. I think its great they are trying to sell the engine. We need MORE games built on this thing and we need em soon. PLEASE give me an excuse to buy an 8800 and install vista...

Great read,very interesting to see how the game and engine have progressed over time.
I cannot wait to play this.Bioshock and Crysis are part of the reasons I bought a 8800
and a copy of Vista.

wow......

I'm going to need to do a rebuild on my system before i try and play that on anything higher than 800x600 :(

I still don't like that guys body armor/suit.. it just looks funky and ugly to me :(. Its visually amazing just not my style.

I actually think it looks dead sexy but the best thing about it is being used as part of the game play rather than just as an excuse for why you can take so much punishment is often the case in games. In the prior demo video where they showed them using a strength boost to jump like 20 or more feet through the air while shooting all I could think was "Now that is bunny hopping!":D

i just cant believe they kept delaying it. i could've put off building my system for a while and saved a pile of case :(

Back