Crysis - Play ‘ultra high’ setting with ‘high’ performance in XP

hken

n00b
After spending hours of tweaking I found a way to enjoy ultra quality Crysis with playable fps. With the tweaked files, I can get the quality that even better than very high setting but with a very good fps.

My spec is Core 2 3.15GHz, 2GB RAM, a single 8800GTX (630/950), 169.09, Windows XP. I reckon many of you have similar spec and is wondering how to play Crysis in very high with playable fps, in either 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200.

I am running on 1920x1200. With the original “tweaked” very high setting in XP (which is almost identical to vista dx10 very high), I get average 18.42 fps in the GPU benchmark test which is barely unplayable. IMO Crysis runs pretty smooth with 25 fps and that would be most of the ppl aiming for with todays hardware in very high setting. With my tweaked files, I get an average of 23.02 fps, which is very playable to me, and most importantly, the quality is even better than very high (more realistic to me).

Look at the following screenshots for comparison

Screenshot 1
Very high:
1a.jpg

Tweaked ultra
1b.jpg

Screenshot 2
Very high:
2a.jpg

Tweaked ultra
2b.jpg

Screenshot 3
Very high:
3a.jpg

Tweaked ultra
3b.jpg

Screenshot 4
Very high:
4a.jpg

Tweaked ultra
4b.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality due to the compression, you will find it more beautiful in person and on average I get 6-7 fps more with the tweaked setting. Basically I just make the lighting looks like more dynamic and improve the contrast of bright and dark areas to make it look more realistic, and I turned down some shadow, vegetation and particles to get more fps, you won’t notice the difference anyway, believe me.

Download here

That does look good, but there's just one problem I noticed.

Sure, the darker shadows might not be a problem, but you also seem to have gotten rid of that fake global illumination or ambient occlusion maps since parts that are in the shadow are now fully black as opposed to slightly lit up, like in real life (since light bounces off the environment and even though something doesn't face the light source, it won't be pure black like in video games).

I might be wrong about that, but that's what it looks like to me. That would also explain some of the performance gain. (though less foliage in the distance, for example would also speed up rendering without being too noticible I would assume)

updates**

someone found using my tweak there is a white glow around gun/hand in the dark area and i will a way to get rid of it and improve the lighting even further

change two commands
r_ssao_amount=0.2
r_SSAO_darkening=3.6

this will lighten up a bit for the darkest area and darken the light shadow a bit and imo it is more realistic and it get rid of the white glow effect as well...so, give it a try and let me know how you gets on

in case you wonder what every command do, here is the explanation

r_ssao_quality=1
r_ssao_amount=0.2
r_SSAO_darkening=3.6
r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_HDRlevel=0.75
r_EyeAdaptationBase=0.2
improve the lighting by darkening the shahow and boost the hdr lighting a bit, no performance change for this part

r_ColorGradingDOF=0
q_ShaderShadow=1
boost extra fps for little/no image quality loss

r_ShadowJittering=1
r_ShadowBlur=0
e_gsm_lods_num=4
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=0
e_shadows_max_texture_size=768
turned down shadow setting from very high and gain extra fps

r_TexturesStreaming=0
improved distant mountain texture, but would use extra system memory, no performance hit if you have enough memory (min 2GB)

r_UseEdgeAA=2
improve quality of distant trees with little/no performance hit

e_view_dist_ratio=45
e_particles_lod=0.7
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=50
adjust the vegetation and particles setting to boost performance

r_VSync=1
d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
enable vsync to reduce tearing for no performance hit

Wow looks insane! I played on very high settings but I havent tried ultra. Very high ran great on my system.

This looks pretty good, theres some nice contrast in the 3rd shot with the red stripe on the wall. Without the tweak it looks pretty bland, nice work.

i'm with Big_D, talkin about decreased shadow quality with this tweak.

everything else looks amazingly better, nice.

that last shot is my main target, what's with the plant shadows?

i'd certainly tolerate the change for the fps increase though.

ressurecting to get more people to look at this. Its still really good!1

I don't if it part of that level, or if that's the water in DX9... looks like crap.

What are the original global graphic settings in Crysis? As in, "turn all the settings to [LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, VERY HIGH], then let the .cfg do the rest."

Here is a Vista shot in dx9 1024x768 in a window. Was i supposed to turn all my settings to low in-game before i use this config?

77770346bb4.jpg

79394088er7.jpg

And this one is 1024x768 in fullscreen

74909669bv7.jpg

and 1440x900 fullscreen

untitled1xp7.jpg

untitledir1.jpg

54347515qf6.jpg

Same place but in dx10

59741976em8.jpg

and for shits and giggles i tried the Ending to see how it held up:

34370841yj5.jpg

Not bad for being ultra settings, all playable. But It does seem kinda dark to me...

I run windows XP professional so i dont know how its supposed to work in windows vista.

I just copied everything over to my crysis folder, then i edited the shadows from 768 to 512 in the system.cfg

at 1680*1050 i get around 30-35 fps on average. Its soo smooth and nice. i love it

i have 4gb of ram, but windows xp only sees 3.5gb, so maybe the xtra ram is helping me.

my friend has 4gb but xp only sees 2.75 LOL

i lucked out.

I run windows XP professional so i dont know how its supposed to work in windows vista.

I just copied everything over to my crysis folder, then i edited the shadows from 768 to 512 in the system.cfg

at 1680*1050 i get around 30-35 fps on average. Its soo smooth and nice. i love it

Which level are you getting that fps? What graphics card do you have? Post a screenshot?

i am uploading some pics to imageshack.

My system is

8800gts 512mb
e4400 @ 3.3ghz
4gb ram (windows only sees 3.5)
320gb hard drive sata II

hope those help, i just started playing a new game so im not far at all. that is the second level.

I put the tweak on, and then changed shadows from 768 to 512 and then tried 256.

i kept it on 256 but havnt seen a change in quality.

I kept everything on high and the rest will show up as custom.

Haha just tried this...wow this is really how Crysis is supposed to look...I average like 12-15fps though :(

After spending hours of tweaking I found a way to enjoy ultra quality Crysis with playable fps. With the tweaked files, I can get the quality that even better than very high setting but with a very good fps.

My spec is Core 2 3.15GHz, 2GB RAM, a single 8800GTX (630/950), 169.09, Windows XP. I reckon many of you have similar spec and is wondering how to play Crysis in very high with playable fps, in either 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200.

I am running on 1920x1200. With the original “tweaked” very high setting in XP (which is almost identical to vista dx10 very high), I get average 18.42 fps in the GPU benchmark test which is barely unplayable. IMO Crysis runs pretty smooth with 25 fps and that would be most of the ppl aiming for with todays hardware in very high setting. With my tweaked files, I get an average of 23.02 fps, which is very playable to me, and most importantly, the quality is even better than very high (more realistic to me).

Forgive me for sounding like a broken record, but what are your settings besides the tweaks in the autoexec.cfg in the in-game menu?

these screen shots have me convinced too. got to give this a try. i run with everything on high with 4xAA. should i leave it like it is?

I've tried using crysis with the file but it always crashes to desktop when loading is done :confused:.

im glad other people are having the same results as i am, the game is amazing. What exactly are you doing? Have you tried different drivers. I know that if you replace the Cvargroup folder with onein the Zip and then place the System.cfg in the "game--->config" folder.

Back