Crysis Performance Question

clevarias

Limp Gawd
I am running two NVIDIA 8800GT in SLI, intel Q6600, 3GB ram, is there any reason I wouldnt be able to Run Crysis at full everything (1900x1280)? I have tried it and it does ok as long as I am not too close to the water, as that slows it down quite a bit. Please help me put and let me know whats going on with my rig.

I am running two NVIDIA 8800GT in SLI, intel Q6600, 3GB ram, is there any reason I wouldnt be able to Run Crysis at full everything (1900x1280)? I have tried it and it does ok as long as I am not too close to the water, as that slows it down quite a bit. Please help me put and let me know whats going on with my rig.

Well, I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Multi-GPU scaling in Crysis, is not very good, so you're not going to have a consistent smooth gameplay experience. Plus @ 1920x1080 and max settings, it's probably asking too much from such setup in Crysis.

What is your average framerate anyway ? And are you using the latest drivers ? WHQL or Beta ?

Well, I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Multi-GPU scaling in Crysis, is not very good, so you're not going to have a consistent smooth gameplay experience. Plus @ 1920x1080 and max settings, it's probably asking too much from such setup in Crysis.
At 1080p, SLI scaling itself has never really been a problem for me in Crysis (either with 8800GT or GTX 280). Never really below ~50% for the SLI visual indicators, and often above ~80% with the 280s. 8800GTs are probably not going to cut it for Very High, though, if you want your framerate higher than the teens.

so the 8800GTs arent that good then, I mean i know they are 512 mb Graphics cards, but whats a good alternative?

8800GT's are great, but they're not super-duper cards. This game pushes the limits of every piece of pc hardware that's out.

I understand that you have great stuff, and you expect great things, but not everyone is a winner, and in order to make it function better you might have to make sacrifices. take er down a notch or 2, and see what she can do.

I assume if you want the best, there are 4870x2's coming soon.

I would not expect much from Crysis. Its honestly a bloated game. I swear it has a memory leak too because after playing it for an hour or two it gets choppy as hell.

at that resolution you'd have to have tri-sli 280's to max out everything and even then you couldnt complete the game from start to finish without some framerate trouble..

I am running two NVIDIA 8800GT in SLI, intel Q6600, 3GB ram, is there any reason I wouldnt be able to Run Crysis at full everything (1900x1280)?

Yes, because the game is poorly coded, you will never get to use your hardware to its full potential.

try playing until you hit the snow stages and then tell us how your performance is.

You'll be able to max out settings in game, but you almost certainly won't be able to use AA and get tolerable framerates. I played through the whole game at 1600x1200 on a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, a 4850 @ 700/1100, 2GB of RAM at the level 4 settings of the CCC (high, no AA or AF) and probably averaged 35 FPS throughout until the final level.

so the 8800GTs arent that good then, I mean i know they are 512 mb Graphics cards, but whats a good alternative?

The 8800 GTs are fine. Crysis is just a system hog.

Your alternatives at this point are GTX 260, HD 4870 or GTX 280. Soon there should be the HD 4870 X2 too. Neither can max Crysis at those settings though.

try playing until you hit the snow stages and then tell us how your performance is.

I never understood this complaint. Even when I played with my 7800 GTX 256, I noticed no difference in performance, when playing the snow levels. Same thing happened with the system in my sig now. I noticed no difference. At 1280x1024 and a mix of high and very high settings, I average 35 fps in any level, except Assault. Assault always was the worst for any system I had.

does that mean if the water is bad, then the snow is going to be worse?

I saw no difference with my system. The only level that drops my fps from an average of 35, to mid 20s in some areas, is Assault.

Back