Crysis PC DVD Problems?

Hi there, I just picked up Crysis for the PC on DVD. I put it in my Samsung DVD drive and it just sits there and makes funny noises and the light blinks constantly. Really screws with Windows too -- Explorer locks up and I can't browse anything. I made sure my drive is up-to-date with the latest firmware.

I confirmed that all other DVDs are working fine on this drive. :eek:

Any other people experiencing issues with your copy of Crysis? :mad:

I had an issue like that with one of my Samsung DVD drives with the new gears of war for pc dvd. Luckily I have two (1 sata 1 eide) and I switched it to the other and it worked fine.

I'll be picking up Crysis tomorrow and will check back if I have any issues.

Yeah, my dvd drive was making a really horrible noise when I first put the disk in. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it sounded like it was seeking something, but couldn't find it and it and kept trying over and over. Fortunately the noise isn't bad for just launching the game, but I thought my DVD drive was going to die while I was installing it. Hasn't happened before, and doesn't happen now with any other discs. Weird.

Oh man! I'm having a problem too. Every time I load the game up, I hear a really awful sound. Sounded like when you're shifting a car wrong. Like, it knocks or something for a second, then for the rest of the game it's fine.

1st time i've heard that before. Everything else works fine.

I had the same issue. I don't know if it's because I have a samsung DVD drive/burner or not. It made this really loud clicking sound like it was trying to do something but something was broke. Then after a few seconds it worked fine.

WTF is going on with these DVDs?

Same here my LiteOn
dvd drive clicks loud for about 30 sec. then everything is fine:confused:

Same here with my LiteOn drive the first time I tried to install the game. No problems after that. Probably some B.S. anti piracy stuff.

i had the same thing happen to me...after a minute of those sounds it finally worked. I have a Phillips.

Its odd that you mention this OP,as my DVD copy does the same thing ...almost.

It makes odd,almost well,chugging noises when the disc is in the drive. :confused: As someone else mentioned like its seeking for something and not finding,but trying again and again.I dont run DT or any other virtal drive softs,so I am not sure what to make of it.

I do not have this issue with any other retail game disc release,and I have many.When it first happened,I thought that the drive was on its way out.I hope not as its only a few months old (via NCIX) Samsung 183S SATA.

My Samsung 203s (also SATA) makes simliar noises as the 18x'r but louder,and only when the Crysis disc is in the drive tray,and accessing in any way.

You know the game brings everything else down to its knees so why not the DVD drive too!! lol

Same here with my LiteOn drive the first time I tried to install the game. No problems after that. Probably some B.S. anti piracy stuff.

That would be my first guess. Intentional bad spots to make it harder to copy.

im having the same problems i just let it sit in there for a few seconds and now it spins fine... why i really dont know but meh didnt damage the disc...

wee i love places that sell it a day early...

i either have a samsung or a lite-on cant remeber and the drive dosnt say on the outside...

Yeah, my dvd drive was making a really horrible noise when I first put the disk in. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it sounded like it was seeking something, but couldn't find it and it and kept trying over and over. Fortunately the noise isn't bad for just launching the game, but I thought my DVD drive was going to die while I was installing it. Hasn't happened before, and doesn't happen now with any other discs. Weird.

Same here.

Yeah my Sammy drive has trouble reading future snowboarding magazine DVDs and many sampler DVDs that come with magazines. Sounds like a similar issue. Explorer freezes with the hour glass and I have to manually close it. These DVDs work on the xbox drive and other DVD players so it definitely is a Samsung issue. Wow, it finally comes to light. I wonder if Sammy will release a firmware update for this game, I seriously doubt it but it would be a nice surprise.

Hi there, I just picked up Crysis for the PC on DVD. I put it in my Samsung DVD drive and it just sits there and makes funny noises and the light blinks constantly. Really screws with Windows too -- Explorer locks up and I can't browse anything. I made sure my drive is up-to-date with the latest firmware.

I confirmed that all other DVDs are working fine on this drive. :eek:

Any other people experiencing issues with your copy of Crysis? :mad:

mine did the exact same thing except explorer didnt lock up. didnt know what was wrong so i restarted and that fixed the problem

sammy driver herem, bought @ walmart other day.. no dvd problems at all...

Samsung burner here as well.......but I have left the DVD in the drive since I have been playing it alot, no problems. If I open and close it, the clicking returns, explorer will eventually "find" and recognize it...but it takes about 15-20 seconds.

Wierd......I have a 6 year old Samsung DVD-Rom drive (IDE) and it did the same thing.

I put the disc in and the drive sounded like it was going to explode, like it was way ramped up......I ejected and replaced the disc and it was OK after that. Loaded the game and runs fine at the present.

It gave my LiteOn a fit too. I thought the thing was going to throw a rod. At one point, the case and desk were oscillating like my washer on the spin cycle.

I think it's the nano bots invading your PC. :eek:

All your PC are belong to Crysis. :p

Just picked it up at WalMart, and having some issues installing it also. Doesn't seem to like my SATA Samsung DVD too much, gonna try the EIDE one here in a minute. If no luck, then I think I may go hunting for new firmware.

I get weird clicks with my LiteOn DVD-RW for ~15-25 sec. then everything's fine. :confused:

Just picked it up at WalMart, and having some issues installing it also. Doesn't seem to like my SATA Samsung DVD too much, gonna try the EIDE one here in a minute. If no luck, then I think I may go hunting for new firmware.

No dice on either drive.... wth~

Update your Firmware people!!

Updated firmware on both EIDE and SATA 18x DVD-R and it works like a charm now.

Btw... game kicks ass at 2560x1600 2x AA in options. Smooth frames and a hell of a lot of fun!

Same here my LiteOn
dvd drive clicks loud for about 30 sec. then everything is fine:confused:

Same here, only from a cold boot thou, and it tried to boot off the disk too... in fact it WOULDN'T let me got farther (ie got stuck trying to boot from dvd drive) if the disk is in all while making that clicking sound

LMAO, Crysis brings everything on our systems to their knees, even our DVD Drives (FYI installs fine, runs fine, no problem once in windows, BUT it is the ONLY DVD that does this?)
FYI I own the Special Edition.

I am guessing this has something to do with the way the disk instructs the drive to read and initialize the program. I wonder if this was some sort of attempt at making a pirated ISO unburnable or something along those lines. It only did it to me when the first time I put in the disk. Of course its been in there since wednesday, but at least it doesn't go ape shit when I start the game up!

My Samsung wigged a bit, clicked for about 20 seconds.....I opened the drive, then closed it, it clicked again for about 20 secs...then explorer "recognized" the dvd and started the auto run program....

..I flashed the drive to the newest BIOS....no difference.

It works fine after the initial 15-20 seconds....oh well...I'll survive :)

Same clicking problem with a Lite-on LH-20A1S. Problem persists with the most recent 08 firmware.

My LiteOn did the clicky clicky thing, and just 12 our of 15 people I know that bought the game have had the same "issue" on various brands of DVDR drives. The other three have DVD-Rom drives and they said it whirred up and installed without any issues at all.

Once it got rolling, it installed fine, game plays fine (has issues finding the DVD in the drive but does launch) after it's up and running.

Very Strange. After i put the disc in for the first time i was sure that i wouldnt be able to install the game. The cdr sound was just too odd. yet, it worked and i have not heard tha sound since....hmmmm

I have this problem too. They fucked up the printing of the dvds. Look closely, the hole is cut .5mm off center.

Go visit Lite-On's website if you have one of their drives. Seems they updated a bunch of firmwares and the problem's have disappeared. Mine is a 20A1L and I had the clicking problem until the BL06 firmware was flashed.

Anti-piracy.

Windows reports bad sectors on the disk, its obvious they're intentional as i've tried 3 separate copies now :rolleyes:

It's the latest (or was at least) version of SecureROM. Problem is that some DVD drives don't like it very much. That's why updating to the newest firmware will correct the issue, at least for the Lite-On drives. I saw a couple of random posts which led me to try it out on my 20A1L. So if you're having problems, go look for an updated firmware as it just may fix your issue. Short of replacing discs without SecureROM (which they won't do), there's nothing the makers of Crysis can do to help.

Anti-piracy.

Windows reports bad sectors on the disk, its obvious they're intentional as i've tried 3 separate copies now :rolleyes:

And yet, the customers that actually PAID for Crysis, are the ones that have problems. The real pirates don't use a cd, they just grab it from torrent and mount the image or install from the file....

Once again, anti piracy efforts = FAIL.

Back