Crysis + 4870 + High shaders = Crash

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
3,000
So I just got my X48 Rampage Formula and my Asus 4870 card the other day and I decided to fire up crysis (to the max settings noted in the [H] review) but to my surprise, the game crashes (Monitor displays 'out of sync' and screeching is heard from the speakers while the system locks up). So Im fiddling around trying to get it to work and it still crashes. I try all versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.21) but to no avail. I try a different video card (7100GS) with it on 800x600 and every setting on Low. This works. So I put my 4870 back in to those same settings and everythings working. So I up everything back to what it was and it crashes. So I bring everything back down to low and 800x600 and start to bump everything up one by one. First the res to 1920x1200 (native). OK. Then the settings to medium. OK. Then JUST shaders to High. Crash. That's gotta be the problem. Anyone know how to fix this and/or have had this problem? Thanks.
 
Hmm do you have Creative sound card? Sound driver for Audigy/XFi is know for that exact symtom when Pc is stressed.The soudcard may be locking up you system. Even the Version of ATI driver could do it. it looks like once the shader is kicked in in the game it maxes the System...Drivers can usually be the first thing to go unstable.

Next,
Hows that PSU...With everything maxed on Card it could be demanding more and not
getting enuff .

Also check your ATIdrivers and DX9/10 update along with all ,,Crysis Fixes( i see you have those covered) but what about 8.6/8.7 Cat driver.

Lastly,
4870fan working correctly to keep it cool while its Maxed?

Thers alot more where that came from:D System specs and Drivers used helps alot to troubleshoot;)
 
I took the soundcard out and it still did it (I didnt remove the drivers, but the card wasn't active since I took it out).

I had the onboard enabled though, maybe ill try disabling that.

THe PSU is a PCP&C Silencer 610, way more than enough.

I have the latest DirectX 9 (June 2008)

I have the latest Catalyst (8.7) from AMD's site.

I have it WCed and its max is 51C under load (tested it with RTHDRIBL and after 15 min straight, its 51C, crysis wont get anywhere near 15 min before it crashes with shaders on high)

Sorry, forgot to update my sig.
Asus Rampage Formula
E6600
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Asus 4870 512MB
Raptor X
Silencer 610 PSU
2x2GB OCZ DDR2-800 Reapers


Edit: I put everything else (Physics, Textures and Water) on high, the rest on medium (including shaders) all on 1920x1200 and everything runs great. So does anyone know what could be up with the shaders?
 
I'm not sure about this but just taking the card out may not stop the software drivers from sending the informations/signals to the card from your motherboard. If the error is caused by such a relay, physically removing the card wouldn't fix it I imagine. Rule it out and uninstall the drivers.

Try DirectX 10?
 
I have had problems with my 4870 simular to yours. If you are OCing back down on the RAM. My 4870 runs very cool, never above 65, but the RAM can't handle more than 1000mhz @ 1100 everyting seems to run fine, 3dmark2006 loops, Gears of War DX9 or DX10 @ 1280x720, UT3, Lost Planet DX10 @ 1280x720.all ran fine with RAM @ 1100. But if I try to run @ 1920x1080 all the games would crash unless I backed my RAM back down to 1050 or below. I havn't had an issue with Crysis yet, but I don't play it much anymore. It seems that the harder you push the card the less stable the RAM OS is.
 
Nothing is OCed (CPU, RAM, GPU/RAM). Everything is completely at stock.

Blakestr, I took out the card and uninstalled the drivers (and did an uninstall from device manager) and it still did it.


BTW, I was in vista and it did this, So I dont think its a DX9 vs DX10 issue. Im leaning toward the card, at least Asus is awesome with RMAs.
 
* Make sure it's not a refresh rate issue.
* Try other games.
* Send the card back.

In that order.
 
Back
Top