Crysis 2 PC DirectX9 (Patch 1.8) and DirectX11 (Patch 1.9) Compare GTX 580

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbUY0eBl6s"]YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 Patch 1.9 DirectX 11 Ultra Upgrade and High res Texture Gameplay GTX 580‬‏[/ame]

I just watched some gameplay videos of this on YouTube, and smiled from ear to ear. DX11 just makes a world of difference, to me. Makes me pretty stoked to install the new GTX 570 tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Maybe I just have bad eyes but it does not look much different to me.

Yeah me either. Youtube videos, even at 1080p, are pretty bad for conveying a difference in graphics quality as there's always so many compression artifacts you can't really see the differences.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I definitely thought, "Whoa," when I saw the first DX11 footage in
4K. Either way, I guess I'll find out tonight, because I'm finally going to start my playthrough, now that my graphics card is up to snuff, and Crysis is looking more Crys-like, again.

Definitely makes a different from what I can tell, but I am going to wait till the price drops before I pick it up.

its a massive improvement over dx9. takes quite a bit of gpu power to run it fluidly. i get 50-60fps on avg at 1920x1080

Can't see the difference that much side to side.

Yeah because they've taken widescreen video streams and compressed them down to half their usual width resulting in all sorts of distortion and artifacting. Not to mention how shitty every video looks on Youtube just by virtue of it being Youtube. Such videos for graphical comparisons are next to useless.

Much like with the PS3 footage of BF3, the biggest difference I notice right away is the lighting. Seems more flat and lifeless in DX9.

Thanks teletran8 for the video! BUt in the video I can't see the difference. haha Anyway I download the patch right now. I will see.

Overall it's not a night and day difference but there are a lot of places where there are some big differences. The lighting is definitely much better and the water effects are fantastic. I would say that DX 11 has done as much for this game as any other currently on the market.

Overall it's not a night and day difference but there are a lot of places where there are some big differences. The lighting is definitely much better and the water effects are fantastic. I would say that DX 11 has done as much for this game as any other currently on the market.

What makes a big difference in some areas, are the higher res textures. DX11 has little impact visually, unless you're really looking for details (the only thing that I notice a difference is the debris on the ground, that with DX11 enabled is more detailed, I'm guessing from Tessellation).

If you look at the "DX9 with high res textures" vs "DX11 with high res textures" screenshots, it will be very hard to notice a difference, much less in motion.

Do all three updates/patches - 1.9/DX11/High Res Pack. There's a few comparisons on the Nvidia site. I installed it with my GTX480 and set everything to "Ultra" and can definitely see a difference. I also noticed a big jump in temps - so it must be hammering it pretty good. With default fan control I ran about 72*C. With my 90% profile I dropped to 62*C. I use to run 62*C with the default control. I played through with DX9 about a month ago so maybe that's why I'm a little more sensitive to the changes.

Back