Crysis 2 and the Structure Procedural System?

HardLiner

Gawd
I think something like this would be great for really large multiplayer games (like 500+ players) but it doesn't really seem needed in single player or ~50 player multiplayer. Having all the building interiors be explorable is cool but doesn't seem like it would really be needed. It would be like how in Crysis you have a large area to explore but really theres no reason to.
However I do like destructible enviroments and if they figure out a good reason to have the buildings have explorable interiors and not take a lot of system resources then go for it. Would be amazing if they could make a fully destructible city with a full scale war in it on a super large multiplayer game.

I think something like this would be great for really large multiplayer games (like 500+ players) but it doesn't really seem needed in single player or ~50 player multiplayer. Having all the building interiors be explorable is cool but doesn't seem like it would really be needed. It would be like how in Crysis you have a large area to explore but really theres no reason to.
However I do like destructible enviroments and if they figure out a good reason to have the buildings have explorable interiors and not take a lot of system resources then go for it. Would be amazing if they could make a fully destructible city with a full scale war in it on a super large multiplayer game.

now that would be cool.. cant find your enemy.. just call in an artillery strike and level the whole damn area.. :p

And with Crysis they could have a whole War of The Worlds thing going on. Could be really epic.

A game with building toppling over in NYC would get censored fast I believe.
But from a technical standpoint that would be sweet!

That looks fucking cool. It might not be "necessary" to have all the interiors accessible, but I would rather know that I could go in if I wanted to and not want to, than not be able to. Being a super-soldier who can't even kick down some random front door is a bit of an immersion-killer.
I'm not even bothered about the destructible environments because in any story-driven game you know you'll end up with a bunch of magic, indestructible walls to prevent you from simply blasting your way from beginning to end. Plus there would be the bandwidth issues in a multiplayer game.
But having proper cities that were genuinely massive instead of little movie sets would be great. There would be a lot of potential for RPGs, as well as the more obvious war shooters. I'd love to see a prettied-up version of it in Crysis 2.

Pretty cool. Although if Crytek wanted to use this for New York wouldn't they want a certain number of landmarks in order to make it look like the real city? Can a procedurally generated system do that?

That looks fucking cool. It might not be "necessary" ...

As Rip Torn would say, Is it necessary that I drink my own urine!?

The only thing I don't like is how the walls were torn down. A single bullet took out a 3 foot section, that just isn't going to happen. Oh well, the closer you get to perfection the more glaring the flaws become.

The only thing I don't like is how the walls were torn down. A single bullet took out a 3 foot section, that just isn't going to happen. Oh well, the closer you get to perfection the more glaring the flaws become.

It was for demonstration purposes only. Use your imagination and believe that gun wasn't firing bullets but molecular fissure creating gauss charges or something.

Looks cool although they pn;y showed and ,mentioned it being destructible inside the buildings on each individual floor.

hopefully that gun they used was souped up to cause that damage otherwise its not too realistic.

Back