CRYSIS - 1920x1200 Very High - What card???

225$ Evga superclocked GTX260. People are hitting 740 core on these things so.......
Also this was the fly through benchmark so there isn't any action, but that's the best I can do because assault harbor refuses to load correctly :)

Crysis-1.jpg

Also DX10 cuts my fps by 12 fps and looks nearly the same as DX9.

DX9 DOES NOT look the same as DX10, plain and simple....... That and you have no AA in DX9 which is ugly.

I have seen in person a 4Ghz quad core with eight gigs of ram and tri-sli 280's and it couldn't play @ 1900x1200 very high with out extremely noticable studdering. Crysis is just a crappy game engine at this point.

From the looks of things gtx280 is already old hat with the 4870x2 around the corner. GTX280 is having poor sales for a few reasons:

Overheats
No aftermarket air coolers
It's old refreshed G80 Tech
Price too high...gtx280 needs to come down to $299 to compete.
Nvidia has a bad track record with the old 9 series owners.

That said, gtx280 does play crysis better than any other card out there. If you want to base your system on crysis, gtx280 is the card to go with.

I keep hearing this overheating thing.

My card idles at ~45 and usually doesn't exceed ~68 at full speed. I wouldn't really call that overheating.

Perhaps I just got lucky with mine.

From the looks of things gtx280 is already old hat with the 4870x2 around the corner. GTX280 is having poor sales for a few reasons:

Overheats

That said, gtx280 does play crysis better than any other card out there. If you want to base your system on crysis, gtx280 is the card to go with.

Overheats - Yes I've seen plenty of posts about this, had to RMA on of my cards but not due to an overheating issue. My 3 in a mid-size tower are running fine, hottest card topping out at 90C after an hour of Crysis. Not cool, not overheating and stable. Maybe there is a flaw with the design but I don't think so.

No aftermarket air coolers - True, I've not seen any.

It's old refreshed G80 Tech - Isn't the R700 a rehash of the R700. I don't think that people are concerned about this. It's about performance.

Price too high...gtx280 needs to come down to $299 to compete. - Price is obviously the biggest issue with these cards.

Nvidia has a bad track record with the old 9 series owners. - Not exactly sure what you mean. I think that people were in large part expecting more if that's what you mean.

At this point, there's no point in buying a GTX 280 with the 4870x2 coming in two weeks and nVidia coming out with something it looks two weeks after that. I know that the consensus is that it's just a die shrink and maybe a little speed bump, but it's probably going to be pretty compelling from a performance vs. cost perspective since that's nVidia's biggest problem right now.

You guys are right. I always get excited when going to buy hardware - wanted to play Crysis and se all that beauty Crytek showed us before Crysis came out. Problem is they had to have some kind of nice mod installed so those trailers and gamepalys they showed looked so incredible....
It is not worth to spend cash for GTX280SLI.. true.
As many of you mentioned here - Warhead may be the answer - its same game, from other point point of view, but engine may be upgraded and will play very high on single GTX280 or new GTX290 and that 4870X2. If GTX290 will be the same as 4870X2, I will buy nvidia. Its always better with one chip than two.. (single GPU water block, like Swiftech WCM60)....
Am I right? Farcry 2, Warhead - those are the games we should wait for...

They pretty much said with warhead there will be some tweaks, but mainly they "mis-named" the settings in crysis and they realize that "very high" SHOULD have been called "ultra-high", etc. down the line. Which in my opinion is BS. Don't put it in the game unless people can run it. And now the solution is to make the highest setting less demanding? Kind of a cop-out.

I'm grabbing a 4870X2 to replace my dual 3870X2's. And if I eventually get a 30" monitor, i'll grab a second X2.

Is it selling badly? I tried to search and could not find anything to corroborate that statement. In fact, from what I can ascertain, the sales of the card are pretty good, especially looking at Newegg.com.

Overheats

Mine idle at between 44c and 46c. Full load after two hours of gaming barely breaks 75c. And Im running three of them stacked so tight that if they were overheating, I would have blew a card by now.

Depends on what you are looking for. I do believe there are already waterblocks out that are custom made for the 280's/260's.

Isnt every new card just a refresh? Including ATI's?

I'll give you that one. I was able to use the step up program on mine so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Actually, I upgraded from two 8800GTS 640s to 39800GTX's and I was pretty damned stoked at the performance increase....

Basing your system on the most demanding game can only be beneficial to your gaming experience. Honestly, There wont be a single game out for two years that I will have to upgrade for and that in itself is worth the cost of admission to me.

Why would anyone go and buy a $400-$1200 just to play a shitty game? Its obvious that Crytek has made Crysis an Nvidia game, solely due to sponsorship. That alone should make you mentally shit all over the idea of upgrading for such a game. If AMD shelled out money on the sponsorship, Yerli would have never mentioned Quad cores or CPU limitations. Also, I bet the game would run better on an ATI multi-card setup than Nvidia for the very same reason.

I agree, crysis is a crappy game, that's why hardly anyone plays it. It's kind of an old game now as well, and it doesn't have the longevity of a great game like COD4 and it's multiplayer. Not too sure why people still want to build their system around one game that isn't even that good....I'm pretty sure everyone has passed this game...and once you pass it...there is only one other thing you can do with it...throw it in the garbage, and play cod4.

Is it selling badly? I tried to search and could not find anything to corroborate that statement. In fact, from what I can ascertain, the sales of the card are pretty good, especially looking at Newegg.com.

It is selling badly, that is why the 4870/4850 has sold a lot more units, and that is why the GTX280 has come down 300 bucks in the matter of 4 weeks after launch.

Mine idle at between 44c and 46c. Full load after two hours of gaming barely breaks 75c. And Im running three of them stacked so tight that if they were overheating, I would have blew a card by now.

Good. Those temps are rare. You are lucky. Most people have reported temps 90c and up and have even experienced downclocking because temps are so high.

Depends on what you are looking for. I do believe there are already waterblocks out that are custom made for the 280's/260's.

It doesn't depend on what I'm looking for, the majority want an aftermarket air cooling solution for $60 or less...and don't want to spend $200 for a waterblock...and another $300 or so for a radiator, water pump, and other accessories associated with a descent water cooling kit.

Isnt every new card just a refresh? Including ATI's?

No. Additionally, nvidia's naming schemes are a joke.

I'll give you that one. I was able to use the step up program on mine so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Yah, until you realized the msrp for the step up was inflated to begin with :(

Actually, I upgraded from two 8800GTS 640s to 39800GTX's and I was pretty damned stoked at the performance increase....

I'm sure you were.

Basing your system on the most demanding game can only be beneficial to your gaming experience. Honestly, There wont be a single game out for two years that I will have to upgrade for and that in itself is worth the cost of admission to me.

This argument might have an ounce of validity if having the best performance in Crysis(which the gtx280 has) translated into having the best performance in all games. Unfortunately this is just not true, as the 4870 has outperformed the gtx280 in some of the newer games. GTX200 series should obviously be skipped, unless you are a die hard nvidia fan of course.

It is selling badly, that is why the 4870/4850 has sold a lot more units, and that is why the GTX280 has come down 300 bucks in the matter of 4 weeks after launch.

Good. Those temps are rare. You are lucky. Most people have reported temps 90c and up and have even experienced downclocking because temps are so high.

It doesn't depend on what I'm looking for, the majority want an aftermarket air cooling solution for $60 or less...and don't want to spend $200 for a waterblock...and another $300 or so for a radiator, water pump, and other accessories associated with a descent water cooling kit.

I'm sure you were.

This argument might have an ounce of validity if having the best performance in Crysis(which the gtx280 has) translated into having the best performance in all games. Unfortunately this is just not true, as the 4870 has outperformed the gtx280 in some of the newer games. GTX200 series should obviously be skipped, unless you are a die hard nvidia fan of course.

The GTX 280 is selling badly, well its easy to guess that the 4870 is doing better, but I don't think anyone here has sales figures so that's just a guess but I can agree that its not selling well.

As far as GTX 280 temps, I think you are overstating the issue. Yes, when running something like Crysis for an hour, my top card can reach 90C and that's not a problem for a GPU. My cards idle around 48C-50C. For three cards pack in like this, that's not bad. A bigger case would probably lower the temps as I am in a mid-sized case.

And lastly, you don't like Crysis, hey that's cool. I loved the game myself and I like CoD4 as well, but CoD4 isn't as technically sophisticated as Crysis. I admit that Crysis could use some patching and hopefully when Warhead comes along we will see a good refinement of the game and I'm looking forward to it.

I understand where you're coming from on the GTX 280, I do. It's far from nVidia best release ever, AMD has better value and equivalent performance for now. But the 280 is a very capable card and its only real weakness is its price. But its probably not going to be around much longer anyway. Competition is good!

I agree, crysis is a crappy game, that's why hardly anyone plays it. It's kind of an old game now as well, and it doesn't have the longevity of a great game like COD4 and it's multiplayer. Not too sure why people still want to build their system around one game that isn't even that good....I'm pretty sure everyone has passed this game...and once you pass it...there is only one other thing you can do with it...throw it in the garbage, and play cod4.

You know what I don't understand... why people immediately discount Crysis as decent performance benchmark solely because they didn't like it. If someone wanted to build their system around a different "popular" game like HL2 or CoD4, how exciting would that be? Low level dual core and a midrange GPU to max out the game. The fact of the matter is that Crysis is the only game that is out right now that is still stressful to current GPUs. You can bitch all day long about how unoptimized it is, but until there is a valid alternative then its the only decent choice.

PS CoD4 isn't any better than Crysis.

GTX280 is a capable card, but it just has too many issues and it's rivals are too strong, which is why people won't buy it, even at 399. Hopefully the refresh will see an aftermarket air cooling solution. I think thermalright and other companies that make gpu air cooling solutions have looked at the market and realize that making a air cooler for the gtx280 won't be profitable.

You know what I don't understand... why people immediately discount Crysis as decent performance benchmark solely because they didn't like it. If someone wanted to build their system around a different "popular" game like HL2 or CoD4, how exciting would that be? Low level dual core and a midrange GPU to max out the game. The fact of the matter is that Crysis is the only game that is out right now that is still stressful to current GPUs. You can bitch all day long about how unoptimized it is, but until there is a valid alternative then its the only decent choice.

PS CoD4 isn't any better than Crysis.

As stated, the gtx280 does best in Crysis. Unfortunately performing the best in Crysis doesn't mean squat when you got a 4870 out performing the gtx280 in other newer games.

Cod4 sold over ten million copies. Crysis..1 million. Crysis was an over-hyped turd. We have our opinions, but numbers don't lie.

I still have not seen any information stating that the sales are drastically down. Also, it wasnt sales that drove prices down, it was competition from ATI.

Honestly, how many people have you personally seen reporting this? 20? 30? Out of how many of thousands of cards sold? Every new card has its own problems. You will see the same thing when ATI unleashes its big dog in two weeks. Both of the Nvidia and ATI forums here have people reporting problems with nearly every brand and make of card that has been released.

It does depend on what you are looking for. You did not say Im looking for a cheap cooling solution, you said there is NOT an aftermarket cooling solution which is not correct. There is, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Now that almost sounds like a fanboy there. While I do admit that Nvidia has given a knee jerk marketing scheme to the last generations round of cards, ATI has done the same in the past. Look at the early X800 debacle.

True, it was inflated, but so is all new tech when it comes out. I can remember when 30 inch 720i plasmas were 10 grand...

I can promise you that after the new ATI card has been out a few months, it will drop in price as well. One reason they price them that way is because they know the early adopters (like myself) will pay the premiums to have it before anyone else ;)

I'm sure you were.
I was

Again, this is just not true. Show me where the 4870 has outperformed the 280GTX please. A few FPS doesnt count. You could run the same test with both cards and your FPS will always vary between each test and each card. Unless you are consistently smashing the 280 with higher res, faster frames and more eye candy then what you said is untrue.

Now before this gets out of hand, I want you to understand, Im NOT an Nvidia fanboy. I used ATI for years. From the 9800pro all the way up until the 1900XT. I switched to Nvidia when they trounced ATI and if ATI trounces Nvidia, I may be switching again. The fact is, as of this very moment, Nvidia has the top dog of cards and will continue to do so until the new ATI card comes out. Of course, that is just speculation on my part and the new cards performance has yet to truely be seen.

Buying a rig around one game is retarded. Consider other games you might play. I bought a 4870 because I know it will perform as good or better than a 280 in most games. Not only that, it still costs about 100 less than the 280.

GTX280 is a capable card, but it just has too many issues and it's rivals are too strong, which is why people won't buy it, even at 399. Hopefully the refresh will see an aftermarket air cooling solution. I think thermalright and other companies that make gpu air cooling solutions have looked at the market and realize that making a air cooler for the gtx280 won't be profitable.

I agree that AMD has a great product in the 4800. But as for the GTX 280 having too many issues, other than price, I don't buy that.

Show me three 4870's in CrossFire with stock cooling with mild overclocks and then can compare the issues. When you have three cards from two different places that are working flawlessly with good temps its hard to think that its all luck. Yes, I know that some cards have had problems, I doubt that its most, in that 3 out of the 4 cards I bought DIDN'T have problems, I did have to RMA one card, but I don't see that a catastrophic problem.

My point is that I have no issue with you beating nVidia up over the GTX 280's price, but when you start piling on these other issues that I have not seen with as complex as a setup as 3x SLI then I have to disagree based on experience.

You guys are right. I always get excited when going to buy hardware - wanted to play Crysis and se all that beauty Crytek showed us before Crysis came out. Problem is they had to have some kind of nice mod installed so those trailers and gamepalys they showed looked so incredible....
It is not worth to spend cash for GTX280SLI.. true.
As many of you mentioned here - Warhead may be the answer - its same game, from other point point of view, but engine may be upgraded and will play very high on single GTX280 or new GTX290 and that 4870X2. If GTX290 will be the same as 4870X2, I will buy nvidia. Its always better with one chip than two.. (single GPU water block, like Swiftech WCM60)....
Am I right? Farcry 2, Warhead - those are the games we should wait for...

Warhead won't be the answer. Crytek will say that the game is more optimized with better graphics, and it will be the same game with different voice-over. Thats it. Don't be fooled into thinking this game is anything more than just a map pack with new voices.

Well if you want some ancient history, I used three 8800 GTXs in triple SLi and ran Crysis at 19 X 12 on very high just fine.
If I recall the frame rate was about 30 or so. Very playable and very pretty.
I played Crysis through twice, once with normal SLI at 16 x 12 and once again when I got my third GTX.
The game was OK twice, but now I don't think I could give it away.

Buying a rig around one game is retarded. Consider other games you might play. I bought a 4870 because I know it will perform as good or better than a 280 in most games. Not only that, it still costs about 100 less than the 280.

I have to disagree with this. Basing your rig around one game that doesnt push anything is silly at best. Basing your rig around a game that has the most demanding stresses on a GPU is pretty intelligent. It future proofs your system and allows you the ease of mind knowing there is not a game out there you can not max out.

And again, what is the 4870 beating the 280 at? HL2?...a fully ATI optimized game? Other than that, I have not seen anything that indicates the 4870 outperforms the 280.

I still have not seen any information stating that the sales are drastically down. Also, it wasnt sales that drove prices down, it was competition from ATI.

If these cards were selling like hot cakes like you apparently want to believe prices wouldn't of dropped 60% in a matter of a few weeks.

Honestly, how many people have you personally seen reporting this? 20? 30? Out of how many of thousands of cards sold? Every new card has its own problems. You will see the same thing when ATI unleashes its big dog in two weeks. Both of the Nvidia and ATI forums here have people reporting problems with nearly every brand and make of card that has been released.

I've seen enough to know that it is indeed an issue. I have seen evga techs confirm it as an issue.

It does depend on what you are looking for. You did not say Im looking for a cheap cooling solution, you said there is NOT an aftermarket cooling solution which is not correct. There is, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Go back up a few posts and you see that I indicated "Aftermarket Air Coolers." "Air" being the key word.

Now that almost sounds like a fanboy there. While I do admit that Nvidia has given a knee jerk marketing scheme to the last generations round of cards, ATI has done the same in the past. Look at the early X800 debacle.

Nvidia is synonymous with refresh and name schemes.

True, it was inflated, but so is all new tech when it comes out. I can remember when 30 inch 720i plasmas were 10 grand...

Yah but plasmas didn't drop 60% in a matter of three weeks like the GTX280 did. ;)

I can promise you that after the new ATI card has been out a few months, it will drop in price as well. One reason they price them that way is because they know the early adopters (like myself) will pay the premiums to have it before anyone else ;)

Early adopters is just a fancy term for uninformed.

Good.

Again, this is just not true. Show me where the 4870 has outperformed the 280GTX please. A few FPS doesnt count. You could run the same test with both cards and your FPS will always vary between each test and each card. Unless you are consistently smashing the 280 with higher res, faster frames and more eye candy then what you said is untrue.

4870 has beaten the gtx280 in several games. This is old news, google it.

Now before this gets out of hand, I want you to understand, Im NOT an Nvidia fanboy. I used ATI for years. From the 9800pro all the way up until the 1900XT. I switched to Nvidia when they trounced ATI and if ATI trounces Nvidia, I may be switching again. The fact is, as of this very moment, Nvidia has the top dog of cards and will continue to do so until the new ATI card comes out. Of course, that is just speculation on my part and the new cards performance has yet to truely be seen.

It's not out of hand, it's just a difference of opinion. 4870x2 trounces a single GTX280 on beta drivers. It has been seen, ask the editor here, they got the card, and did a review, and the 4870x2 destroyed the gtx280, and even out performed the gtx280 sli in several cases.

Even if the game is poorly coded (wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen that statement) what other game is out now that would be a better gage for a card's overall performance in other games? Show me a system that has good Crysis performance (like mine) and that's a system that will pretty much crush any game out right now, and probably for some time to come. Period.;)

I've always thought the World in Conflict benchmark was pretty stressful on a system, I used to use it for stability tests.

Oblivion (with mods) is a good way to stress your system , find a good place like overlooking a valley or walking through the market district. or find a wide open space and let the camera rotate 360 and see what your frames are.

there are lots of ways to benchmark your system, I don't see why everyone is so fixed on Crysis. Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the game.

I've always thought the World in Conflict benchmark was pretty stressful on a system, I used to use it for stability tests.

Oblivion (with mods) is a good way to stress your system , find a good place like overlooking a valley or walking through the market district. or find a wide open space and let the camera rotate 360 and see what your frames are.

there are lots of ways to benchmark your system, I don't see why everyone is so fixed on Crysis. Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the game.

WIC I can agree with, Oblivion is a bit old even with mods to stress this gen of cards.

I don't not understand this hostility against Crysis, and why ANYONE would think that people buy a setup for one game. I built mine to crush ALL games, including Crysis. Seems to be working!;)

Me too, it seems to be the only game nvidia cards have a true edge in...but it's an nvidia sponsored game so that's to be expected I suppose.

As stated, the gtx280 does best in Crysis. Unfortunately performing the best in Crysis doesn't mean squat when you got a 4870 out performing the gtx280 in other newer games.

Cod4 sold over ten million copies. Crysis..1 million. Crysis was an over-hyped turd. We have our opinions, but numbers don't lie.

Remind me again, which games is the GTX 280 incapable of maxing out besides Crysis?

Comparing a cross platform game to an exclusive for sales numbers is rediculous. Please quote PC sales only. Sales numbers =! quality. Sales numbers also don't have any bearing on how stressful the game is to render.

I am so very glad you enjoyed CoD4. Because I enjoyed it as well when it was called Call of Duty 1-3. They are all the same.

Remind me again, which games is the GTX 280 incapable of maxing out besides Crysis?

Comparing a cross platform game to an exclusive is completely rediculous for sales numbers is rediculous. Please quote PC sales only. Sales numbers =! quality. Sales numbers also don't have any bearing on how stressful the game is to render.

I am so very glad you enjoyed CoD4. Because I enjoyed it as well when it was called Call of Duty 1-3. They are all the same.

Good point, you really have to compare how well each sold on the PC. In fact what BigCatus says about CoD4 selling 10 million copies (I don't have a clue) vs. 1 million for Crysis (I thought it was closer to 3 but once again have no clue) just reinforces Crytek and other developers about PC games, that it makes more sense to worry about consoles first.

However, I LOVED Crysis and was very happy to support Crytek and will buy Warhead. Sure, the game have a few rough edges in the performance department when the game is maxed out, but nothing a lot of horsepower can't solve. I got through it with my 3 280's just fine. And if spending that kind of money to run a Crysis is dumb, I can understand that opinion. The setup runs other games as well however.

No matter what however, PC gaming needs efforts like Crysis. If everything is just a highly optimized console game, where's the fun in that? Boundaries have to be pushed every now and then for the sake of progress.

Comparing a cross platform game to an exclusive for sales numbers is rediculous. Please quote PC sales only. Sales numbers =! quality. Sales numbers also don't have any bearing on how stressful the game is to render.

It depends at what resolution were talking about. GTX280 cannot max out AOC at 2560X1600. Maybe three of them perhaps, not sure.

Sales numbers can be a good indication of how good the game is. And yes, COD4 is the best shooter out there bar none. It sold over ten million copies...and last time I checked crysis sold 1 million. Number's don't lie. I agree, call of duty 1-3 were also great games as well. I hope they keep making them.

It depends at what resolution were talking about. GTX280 cannot max out AOC at 2560X1600. Maybe three of them perhaps, not sure.

From [H]
Easily the best performing video card in our lineup for Age of Conan! This is the ONLY video card in our lineup to allow us to play smoothly at 2560x1600, and with Bloom lighting enabled as well! In fact, at 2560x1600 we were able to have everything set to the highest in-game settings except for NPC view distance, Grass Distance, and Ground Quality View Distance.

Thats pretty darn close to maxed out. Including AF as well.

Sales numbers can be a good indication of how good the game is. And yes, COD4 is the best shooter out there bar none. It sold over ten million copies on all platforms...and last time I checked crysis sold 1.5 million on PC. Number's don't lie. I agree, call of duty 1-3 were also great games as well. I hope they keep making them.

Fixed

Pokemon Red Green and Blue have sold 20 million copies. The Sims sold 50 million. That must make them better games with that logic.

Pokemon Red Green and Blue have sold 20 million copies. The Sims sold 50 million. That must make them better games with that logic.

THANK YOU!!! At last someone made a logical post. BigCactus thinks that by just looking at how many copies a game has sold, determines how good it is. I guess The Sims owns Crysis too. :p

Crysis sold 1.5 million copies? COD4 sold 1.5 million of the new map packs for cod4 that were just released. Just because a game is sold across multiple platforms doesn't take away from it. Shooters with good multiplayers is what makes it successful...and cod4 is a superior game with the best multiplayer in it's genre. Hless421 and other gtx280 owners might argue other wise. I've said it before and I'll say it again, evga has forums where you can hold hands and brag about how great your cards are and how great it is to play crysis with no AA at 40 fps on your gtx280s.

Crysis sold 1.5 million copies? COD4 sold 1.5 million of the new map packs for cod4 that were just released. Just because a game is sold across multiple platforms doesn't take away from it. Shooters with good multiplayers is what makes it successful...and cod4 is a superior game with the best multiplayer in it's genre. Hless421 and other gtx280 owners might argue other wise. I've said it before and I'll say it again, evga has forums where you can hold hands and brag about how great your cards are and how great it is to play crysis with no AA at 40 fps on your gtx280s.

I can't believe this concept is that hard to grasp. If Crytek made Crysis a watered down, short, generic, linear shooter on all platforms then it would have shared similar sales numbers. How can you compare an exclusive release sales numbers to a multiplatform and expect to draw any reasonable conclusions? Its mind boggling.

What you fail to realize is that CoD4 while fun does absolutely nothing revolutionary to earn itself any accolades. The multiplayer is nothing special at all, team deathmatch, FFA etc. BF2 did what Call of Duty 4 did, better and on a bigger scale several years ago. TF2 is also much more creative. Call of Duty 4 also has a criminally short single player campaign.

But see, the GTX 280 (especially 3 of them) tears CoD4 a new one. 100+ FPS average at 1920x1200 16xAF 16xQAA with maximum in game settings is awesome!:D

I can't believe this concept is that hard to grasp. If Crytek made Crysis a watered down, short, generic, linear shooter on all platforms then it would have shared similar sales numbers. How can you compare an exclusive release sales numbers to a multiplatform and expect to draw any reasonable conclusions? Its mind boggling.

What you fail to realize is that CoD4 while fun does absolutely nothing revolutionary to earn itself any accolades. The multiplayer is nothing special at all, team deathmatch, FFA etc. BF2 did what Call of Duty 4 did, better and on a bigger scale several years ago. TF2 is also much more creative. Call of Duty 4 also has a criminally short single player campaign.

I've played Crysis. There is nothing revolutionary about it. It's a poorly optimized game that runs half-descent on nvidia cards...and has the same mechanics as a normal shooter, but with a few cool tricks up it's sleeve.

Cod4 single player is great. Multiplayer is what makes it a keeper. And COD4 runs better on ATI cards.

I've played Crysis. There is nothing revolutionary about it. It's a poorly optimized game that runs half-descent on nvidia cards...and has the same mechanics as a normal shooter, but with a few cool tricks up it's sleeve.

Cod4 single player is great. Multiplayer is what makes it a keeper. And COD4 runs better on ATI cards.

I will tell you what is revolutionary about Crysis and what isn't. Crysis is revolutionary graphically, in fact it may be the moon shot for graphics for a while to come. It is not revolutionary in sandbox play since Crytek pretty much started it with Far Cry. However it is fortunate that although there are key locales on each map, each scenario can be played out in many different fashions. It is not revolutionary in the fact that you click your mouse and you shoot a gun. Whether you like it or not Crysis will be remembered for a long time, for better or worse.

Call of Duty 4 unfortunately does not even have the luxury of a single revolutionary point, as I already stated. The campaign is short. The campaign is linear. Enemies will continue to spawn limitlessly until you cross a certain point. You are unable to even open doors on your own. The multiplayer allows you to click your mouse to fire a large variety of guns. It also allows you to do this with a couple dozen other people. All of this Call of Duty has been rinse and repeating for half a decade. Its a proven formula that obviously pays off. However it is not revolutionary, and unlike Crysis it will be forgotten within a couple years. Especially when all the multiplayer FPS wankers find their latest fix and you're left with a ghost town of servers with nothing but a pathetic single player and probably some cheaters to keep you company.

Oh fucking hell you have me in tears! ROTF! OF course it has the same mechanics as other shooters. ITS A SHOOTER! HL2, CoD4, Bioshock, they ALL have the same mechanic! Point the damn weapon and kill whats in front of you!

What sets Crysis apart is the visuals and that cool as hell Nano suit. The weapons are ok, but not awsome, but the game play and AI (when on hard) and the graphics are what sets it apart. Crysis IS the game to set your power standards to because it is the top of the line graphics for a game and stresses your hardware bringing those graphics to you.

Fact is, you keep posting your opinions, and thats fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you have yet to post anything factual. Though you are trying to pass your opinions off as fact. I have asked you twice about multiple opinions of yours and the best I can get is the "google it" cop out.

Done arguing with you as I can see you are riding ATIs nutz.

Oh, ATI also has a forum where everyone can go and hold hands and espouse on the greatness that is CoD4...See how that works? :rolleyes:

and has the same mechanics as a normal shooter

What else are you expecting from a... FIRST PERSON SHOOTER???? Can you explain how else can someone shoot somebody besides the typical way of aiming and pulling the trigger? If you have found another way, contact your local Armed Forces Recruiter.

Lots of hate in this thread.

My thoughts exactly. There are just some people that don't seem to be very open minded about things. What I have found interesting is all the nVidia haters seem to be hating Crysis too, for what reason I can't understand.

What I find a little disappointing is that a game, a PC exclusive, like Crysis is getting so much hate. Its a great game and at high settings I know I've never seen anything like it on a PC, much less a console. It has its problems, but show me another developer that's pushed the envelope like this recently.

"Crysis is poorly coded!" Time and time and time again from people who have never built a 3D engine and a game on top of it. If it were easy we'd all be doing it. And to compare CoD4 to Crysis technically is just a joke. I like CoD4, its a great game. But Crysis is another level technically and its pretty obvious.

But I can understand that a game needs to be fun to play and be solid, and Crysis and max needs a lot of horsepower to run smoothly, and even then I've encountered some glitches, but nothing catastrophic. All I know is the last level, Reckoning. At very high, 1920x1200 4xAA, its just the best looking gaming graphics out there. If you know of something better I'll buy the game!

There's a good slate of games coming out this fall. I'd love to see some technical Crysis killers!

Back