Cryptocurrency exchange Doge Vault Hacked. 70% coins gone

So, basically about 280BTC worth of DOGE was stolen, or about $122,000 roughly.

[/yawn]

bye bye now..

You'll have to forgive me as nothing is as ineffectual as a text medium for displaying one's intended feelings behind a particular statement. I'm not sure if this was meant as a closing, as in "bye, see you all later" or whether this was some sort of backhanded jab at those that frequent this particular forum, as in "Ha, LOL, all you crypto fools are in for it now." If it was the latter, may I point out the paltry sum above.... hardly anything to write home about and certainly not going to cause anything resembling a stir in the crypto world.

In short, nothing to see here folks! Move along!

[/yawn]

You'll have to forgive me as nothing is as ineffectual as a text medium for displaying one's intended feelings behind a particular statement. I'm not sure if this was meant as a closing, as in "bye, see you all later" or whether this was some sort of backhanded jab at those that frequent this particular forum, as in "Ha, LOL, all you crypto fools are in for it now." If it was the latter, may I point out the paltry sum above.... hardly anything to write home about and certainly not going to cause anything resembling a stir in the crypto world.

Yeah, that got me too. It seems people go out of their way to troll these forums. It's kind of a weird obsession for some. Not sure why.

[/yawn]

The sad part is highway robbery has become the norm for crypto folks. This news doesn't even ruffle feathers because it happens on a regular basis. You've made a great point.

Yeah, that got me too. It seems people go out of their way to troll these forums. It's kind of a weird obsession for some. Not sure why.

Because many people feel like the crypto craze is snake oil. They are also not at all surprised when things like this happen.

I believe much of it has to do with how defensive some people get about crypto.

I've noticed too lots of people go out of their way to bash it without offering any meaningful argument. According to these people Bitcoin is the sole reason for existence of anything illegal, and the source of all problems in the financial world.

If it can be hacked -- someone is going to hack it. That's just a given. Nobody seems to treat their coins as cash. If you want to TRULY be secure, you store the coins yourself on your computer or on your thumb drive. Sure that makes it a PITA when it comes to trading but you would never fall victim that way.

100k stolen? that's nothing in the grand scheme of things. People rob banks every day, so that part isn't new. I'm a big fan of crypto - but I know it's the wild west out there. The only person that can really protect you, is YOU. Bailouts, insurance, all those layers don't exist here.

Honestly though -- if you are keeping a huge chunk of your worth or assets in DOGE... I'd question your financial responsibility. (just like I'd question anyone who has non expendable assets tied up in crypto) I know DOGE started as a joke, gained traction, and whatnot. But in the long term financial future of a person... putting ALL your eggs into one basket is just stupid.

I view the entire thing as a hobby - it's part soap opera, part stock market, with a huge nerd factor. I get to play with cool hardware and tinker, and make an extra few bucks every month for having fun. Anyone who thinks they are going to get rich quick or buy a lambo with BTC... you've already lost the game.

Honestly though -- if you are keeping a huge chunk of your worth or assets in DOGE... I'd question your financial responsibility. (just like I'd question anyone who has non expendable assets tied up in crypto) I know DOGE started as a joke, gained traction, and whatnot. But in the long term financial future of a person... putting ALL your eggs into one basket is just stupid.

This, not only keeping large chunks of DOGE but then storing it all in such a stupid place. I feel no sympathy for somebody that goes to this level of stupid. Notice the sub headline of the register article? I have never had faith in DOGE. I mined the hell out of it but didn't hold any substantial amounts for very long. It was always a pump and dump approach to trading I took with it.

I only keep some DOGE (about 900k) because I like how they are reinvesting in advertising. The NASCAR graphics are hilarious to see.

But in general, with any investment, it's best to hedge risk by diversifying. Whether it's stocks, bonds, or some other vehicle. I spread my coin holdings across the most promising.

With that in mind, yes, Crypto is the wild west. These exchange hacks are just like stagecoach hold ups. Some people would put their money in banks, but before insurance, if those banks were robbed they would lose it all. Others hid it.

It's a digital rendition of how the old west worked.

Back