Cryorig showing some SFF love...

• Thread starter Deleted member 222586
  • Start date
I still prefer the Dan A4 case as it can fit non-reference GPUs. I am personally not a fan of the trashcan design as carrying it feels heavy since the weight is a lot more concentrated due to its cylindrical design. The CryOrig OLA is 17.54L, which is quite big. DAN A4 is honestly still a buy to me, plus I like supporting a project by an ITX enthusiast backed by a community of ITX enthusiasts.

Last edited:
CRYORIG TAKU can support a max GPU length of 240mm... with targeted release dates in late 2016 or Q1 2017...:( HELLO AGAIN DAN CASE

CRYORIG TAKU can support a max GPU length of 240mm... with targeted release dates in late 2016 or Q1 2017...:( HELLO AGAIN DAN CASE
haha, DAN A4! :) ITX is going to be even more exciting when the SaperPL's Sentry (~7L) and Hahutzy's Hutzy XS (4L) come out as well. The Hutzy XS will probably be the smallest gaming rig possible.

Nice case, but at 17 litres it's a bit of nope for ITX SFF imo. Shame the Dune case failed it's crowdfunding. Nearly the same compatibility (except shorter GPU) but 9L. Still Dan A4 for me ;)

It bothers me that the OLA's planar dimensions are given in width and depth. Is it not perfectly circle? Wouldn't that look even more weird than the standard trashcan?

Sadly there's no way to design a trashcan and optimize for volume when all the inner components are big boxes.. Unless you go the MSI Vortex route and make everything custom.

But in terms of aesthetics, it looks quite sleek.

It bothers me that the OLA's planar dimensions are given in width and depth. Is it not perfectly circle? Wouldn't that look even more weird than the standard trashcan?

Sadly there's no way to design a trashcan and optimize for volume when all the inner components are big boxes.. Unless you go the MSI Vortex route and make everything custom.

It is round. But look carefully and you should see that it takes air from the sides and not the bottom. In order to do that, it has some sort of flanges just by the openings. That is probably the reason as to why the dimensions don't show it to be a perfectly round.

For a trash-can :)

---

To me, the interesting one is the TAKU... although it is terribly big. It should be around 400mm in wide...which means it isn't SFF. Very fresh and cool design, it is, but not small by any metrics. Ventilations is also terribly poor (unless there are some fans somewhere), because though the gpu gets fresh air directly from outside... I doubt that a reference 10.5" card will fit in there, which means that you will end up using a custom solution that will not exhaust from the back...

I like both designs, very nicely done overall with unique details. If the quality of the materials is good, I'd might pick up the cylindrical one.

I'm doubtful of the cooling performance of the OLA case.

They are copying the aesthetics of the Mac Pro, but not its functional design, which works because it has one large central heatsink and air is being drawn from the bottom and forced through its vertically aligned, well-spaced fins.

The OLA case draws air from the sides and has to hope that enough of it reaches the CPU cooler and that the turbulence from the CPU cooler doesn't interfere with that air flow.

Airflow through the side vents naturally decreases from top to bottom, so there's a question mark as to whether the GPU cooler will get enough fresh air (and you are limited to blower style cards).

And then there's the issue that the PSU is dumping it's hot air right into the case as well.

The top fan grille/cover looks stylish, but also restrictive.

These are nice, inoffensive designs, though the cylinder case is definitely form over function. The Mac Pro's design is a fusion of form and function, wherein the internal structure and airflow scheme complement the external design. This just imitates the appearance, without any real justification for it.

To me, the interesting one is the TAKU... although it is terribly big. It should be around 400mm in wide...which means it isn't SFF. Very fresh and cool design, it is, but not small by any metrics. Ventilations is also terribly poor (unless there are some fans somewhere), because though the gpu gets fresh air directly from outside... I doubt that a reference 10.5" card will fit in there, which means that you will end up using a custom solution that will not exhaust from the back...
The Taku is actually 567mm wide, according to Tom's. Total volume is 20.6L with the legs, and probably around 10-11L without them.

I agree that the ventilation doesn't look good. The vent holes over the CPU and PSU are quite restrictive. These are prototypes though, so that may change.

Taku looks nice, loosely a competition to esplin's inverse or iFreilicht's Freileite rather than dondan's A4-SFX.

I like it's external look, however I don't know how would one pull it's "drawer" from the front and how pulling it out affects the cables on the back. I'd also like to know how the backside of the case looks like.

Sticking your monitor on top of your PC is so 1989...

Tell that to my tall co-workers with fixed height cubicle desks with monitor bases that only tilt. Some have resorted to putting reams of paper, phone books (hey they have a use now!) and other homebrew solutions to raise the monitors a couple inches for comfort.

I really like the idea and aesthetics of the Taku. Monitor shelves that you could slide the keyboard under is already a thing.
I wish there were more cases like it. And there have been desktop computers before it that have allowed the keyboard to be slid under it: the Apple Lisa and the Amiga 1000 being noteworthy examples.

I am not convinced about the construction of this one though. A desktop case has to cope with quite a bit of weight.
If I had designed it I would have used a steel frame and maybe integrated a VESA-compatible monitor stand.

Some have resorted to putting reams of paper, phone books (hey they have a use now!) and other homebrew solutions to raise the monitors a couple inches for comfort.
At one workplace, I used a cardboard box because the maximum height of the adjustable monitor stand was still not high enough.

These are nice, inoffensive designs, though the cylinder case is definitely form over function. The Mac Pro's design is a fusion of form and function, wherein the internal structure and airflow scheme complement the external design. This just imitates the appearance, without any real justification for it.

The Taku is actually 567mm wide, according to Tom's. Total volume is 20.6L with the legs, and probably around 10-11L without them.

I agree that the ventilation doesn't look good. The vent holes over the CPU and PSU are quite restrictive. These are prototypes though, so that may change.

The computer case world is based on form over function on 99% of products. NCASE M1 included... as it would have never sold shouldn't it be as pretty as it is ;)

Functional cases sell... but pretty cases sell more.

A 120mm rad may fit in the top instead of the normal 140mm fan. We'll have to wait until there are more detailed pictures of that.

The computer case world is based on form over function on 99% of products. NCASE M1 included... as it would have never sold shouldn't it be as pretty as it is ;)

The best selling cases are pretty and functional. I don't think the M1 is really form over function, it has amazing functionality and its form doesn't impede that in any way. Actually, Necere scrapped a lot of designs that he deemed to look better because they contained less visible vents but offered worse functionality.

Neither form nor function should take precedence over the other; they should inform and complement eachother. No aspect of a design should be considered in isolation. Reduce to the essentials, eschew superfluous details, focus on proportion and visual harmony. That is the ideal I strive for.

The Taku is on Kickstarter now... $250 to $360 depending on if you are early and what finish and colour you want. Plus shipping of course ...

The Taku is on Kickstarter now... $250 to $360 depending on if you are early and what finish and colour you want. Plus shipping of course ...

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I got in on the Kickstarter for the Dan Case A4-SFX v2, but I think this fits my needs a little more.

What are people thinking about building in a Taku?

I'm looking at the limitations, and would be interested in say moving my 6700k over onto an ITX board (probably ASRock) along with a spare GTX970; I'd be upgrading to an 8700k for the desktop, most likely, and I'd need to buy new RAM to pair with the 6700k...

HSF looks slightly challenging in that form factor, probably not going to get much OC using say the Cryorg C7 that is shipping to backers of the (failed and no longer available) Kickstarter. And what gets me is that it looks like they might have been able to account for a 120mm single-fan closed-loop cooler where the 92mm fan and 2.5" bays are located by adding a little depth to the case.

But it's still a sharp setup and the minimalism is appealing...

Yup, I got my preorder in, and already have the replacement 8700k parts.

mITX board will come next week with an SFX PSU and the Cryorig C7 to make sure the 6700k is good to go, and then I'll be waiting for the Taku to arrive :D

ahhh I feel like I need to put my money where my mouth is. I mean sure it's not utterly perfect, but it's catering to my style. So I feel I gotta support it, because no one else will get at least this much right design wise for me...

Did a function test with the ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac, a pair of G.Skill TridentZ DDR-3000 C15 8GB and the recommended Cryorig C7, and man are the tolerances tight here. I don't recommend the RAM; they were scraping into place with the stupid thick heat spreaders that G.Skill used. I just got them because they were relatively cheap. The C7 can also be a pain; do not use the washers that it comes with, the nuts will not fit. I fought that for a few minutes before I read the directions.

Otherwise, I got a good post:

Attachments

• 6700k _ Z270 Function Check.jpg
    6700k _ Z270 Function Check.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 66
Well, I have a tracking number for the Taku from Newegg, so it looks like they made good on their ship date!

I also have a 7600k rolling in at 4.5GHz under the Cryorig C7; it's audible when loaded down for the current WCG BOINC Christmas project as the fan runs at 100%, but damn if it isn't fairly well behaved for a cheap little cooler.

How quiet is that c7, or the entirety of the taku case for that matter. =)

How quiet is that c7, or the entirety of the taku case for that matter. =)

Quieter than I anticipated for such a small cooler, to be honest. Certainly not an OEM screamer.

Taku is still under construction. Cable routing is a bitch (the curse of mITX), but I think I managed to kill an Evo 850 as well somehow.

Back