CryEngine 3 GDC 2009 Demo

HardOCP News

[H] News
Crytek has released a HD teaser trailer of the CryEngine 3 in action. Obviously you can’t tell much from the video (other than it will no doubt make your video card cry for its mommy) but it is neat to watch. Thanks to 0xkeNzo for the linkage.

Have the CreEngines been used in any other games besides Far Cry and Crysis?

The better question is, will any game developer bother putting this kind of detail in?

I see a lot of stuff in there that was promised in the Cryengine 2 that didn't make it or didn't come through as promised.

I always like a new CryEngine, but I would like to see some more details. It kind of looks like they took a lot from the Unreal Engine 3.

Have the CreEngines been used in any other games besides Far Cry and Crysis?

Wikipedia said:
Games Using CryEngine

One apparently.

Downgrade confirmed. Looks worse than CryEngine2. Looks like Crytek completely jumped ship on PC. It is a shame that they had to downgrade the whole engine just to cater to crappy consoles.

More importantly, will anything in the next decade be able to play it?

User removed the video, but can find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mcG83dtDw

Also, the one question I wonder when they do these demos is this:
What is the specs of the system they're using to run these at a high framerate?

I remember watching the Crysis demos on their computers and it was pretty smooth with high details. Come game release time and many systems at that time were struggling to get anything decent out of it with high details.

What are you guys talking about? That looks HORRIBLE! HORRID HORRIBLE. That video was of a downgraded console version of the Cryengine3. There is noway that was for PC cause it is a significant step backwards. I really hope that Crytek is not leaving PC out this time around. They have talked about it in the past.

User removed the video, but can find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mcG83dtDw

Also, the one question I wonder when they do these demos is this:
What is the specs of the system they're using to run these at a high framerate?

I remember watching the Crysis demos on their computers and it was pretty smooth with high details. Come game release time and many systems at that time were struggling to get anything decent out of it with high details.
That was running on a PS3 or 360. Even so it had framerate issues. If this is what it looks like on PC then it is worse than Cryengine2.

That was running on a PS3 or 360. Even so it had framerate issues. If this is what it looks like on PC then it is worse than Cryengine2.
Apparently it actually isn't running on a console in that video.

It looks... eh. Okay. Not as good as CryEngine 2, maybe even a bit worse, though that could be due to artwork. Nice to know how inferior technology like the consoles stalls the entire fucking industry.

Sorry, meant to say "about as good as CryEngine 2, maybe a bit worse".

It doesn't look as good and that is disappointing.

The McDonaldization of the Gaming Industry can go screw itself sideways.

PC Users prepare to get the short end of the stick from Crytek from now on.

This is what happens when you publish through EA.

I'm trying to understand which specific parts of the video look worse than CryEngine 2. Maybe it's because the video resolution is so low (and suffers from aliasing) or maybe it's because I don't even own Crysis, but I don't see too much of a regression: There's still DoF, motion blur, interactive foliage, huge draw distances, etc. I don't see any POM though.

It doesn't look as good and that is disappointing.

The McDonaldization of the Gaming Industry can go screw itself sideways.

PC Users prepare to get the short end of the stick from Crytek from now on.

i actually expected this.

wasn't crytek one of the first whiners who complained that shitty sales were because of piracy? Even while overlooking their fact that their games reception was decidedly ho-hum, and not because of piracy but because of uninspired gameplay and insane system requirements to play the game as touted?

i actually expected this.

wasn't crytek one of the first whiners who complained that shitty sales were because of piracy? Even while overlooking their fact that their games reception was decidedly ho-hum, and not because of piracy but because of uninspired gameplay and insane system requirements to play the game as touted?

I don't know about the whole thing with system requirements, as my mid-grade unit always ran it like a charm... but you are correct that not only were Crytek one of the first to use piracy as a crutch for low sales, it was one of the few that said they would consider completely leaving the PC genre behind altogether.

Sure looks like they're stepping towards doing that to me.

In truth, we PC Gamers are snobs about what we play on our enthusiastic machines. We usually want the triad of substance, performance and visual quality. Which is hard to do.

Pretty underwhelming stuff. Whatever you thought of their games, losing one of the last developers of bleeding-edge PC graphics to multi-format mediocrity is not a good thing.

uh...

this is expected....

CryEngine 3 is just for console.... so who care ?

version 3 does not necessary have to be better than version 2...

since it support console its very understandable....

*watches video* Well wooopdy freeeeaking doooo!!!

mattfoley.gif

The better question is, will any game developer bother putting this kind of detail in?
Merchants of Brooklyn comes to mind.

On another note, its amazing how people can feel justified with their opinions based on a low quality youtube video link of the trailer. I expect more from [H] users.

Merchants of Brooklyn?!?:confused: You must be kidding. I checked out there website and the game is low budget junk. It could have been done on the Unreal engine.

As for the video, it looks about the same as the Cry Engine 2 videos but then again until we see HD videos who really knows.

It shouldn't be a surprise that they will be optimizing for consoles after all the PC community took a big dump on Cyrtek with Crysis. Personally, if I were them I would do the same thing.

Warez kills games.

It's pretty funny that people cracks jokes on crysis for needing a godlike computer to play. When crytek comes out with a more accessible engine, people bash it for being low quality.

Quit whining already. Super Mario Brothers is still a fun game and that doesn't even run on farcry's engine!

I like seeing tech videos like these. Reminds me of the days when ID software's quake engine ruled the world with their graphics. Lately they have been absent.

Downgrade confirmed. Looks worse than CryEngine2. Looks like Crytek completely jumped ship on PC. It is a shame that they had to downgrade the whole engine just to cater to crappy consoles.

Downgrade? OK, from a youtube video?

thats pretty damn impressive if that can be run on a PS3 (especially the PS3, b/c of it's crappy graphics card....)

i dont give a damn about how bad the visuals look as long as the firefights are large and take place within a complex environment + there are significant AI improvements

Looks the same. I remember people found a special setting in crysis that looked like this. I do not see anything that makes we think Cry Engine 3 maybe Cry engine 2.2.

Without direct comparison, the footage doesn't look any better than (qualitywise) CryEngine 2. Maybe its more like CE2.5 so that it can be used on current game hardware.

Though the bit where they shoot the water looked cool.

I would be more impressed if they took real action footage from movies and then recreated them in demo and showed them side-by-side.

If I remember correctly the next cry engine was going to be made and optimized for the next generation of consoles. Thank the rampant piracy of the pc platform for that. Strangely enough both crysis and farcry were bundled with video cards I purchased.

Although history rarely repeats itself, lets make a few assumptions.
We know that the ps3 is powered by an nvidia rsx. It was released in November of 2006. The analagous pc gpu would be a 256 mb 7800gtx which was released in june of 2005.
So the tech was approximately 1.5 years old. If we are to expect the next gen to arrive in 2012, we can expect that that gpu's of the next gen will be based on 2010 parts. Or rather parts that aren't out yet. The sort of part that should finally be able to run crysis at "enthusiast" settings.

So I would hope with console specific optimizations cry engine 3 should look much better than cry2, or at the very least its equal.

By 2012 when the next gen launches I'm sure that 32nm will be a reliable process, although I doubt we'll be seeing 22nm in the consoles anytime before 2014/2015 (or mid-life). One would hope that it would be equal to first refresh of the dx11 parts that we'll be picking up at the end of the year, or early next year. So maybe something 3x gtx280/4870 will not be an impossibility. And certainly gtx295 level power without alot of the compromises that are made in that design.

So, don't fret. It will run fine on the consoles. Just don't expect them to optimize it for the pc, be happy if they even release it for the pc.

Nes

So CryEngine 3 is their rework of CryEngine 2 to actually run on reasonable hardware, rather than the top 5% like the [H] forums represents. Maybe they're not giving this niche community what they want, but give Crytek a break, guys.

They released a high-end game with really nasty requirements because that's what people like the [H] wanted. Then few actually bought it, whether it's because this demographic of enthusiasts is rather small in number or because enough people pirated it that it didn't do so well. Clearly it did well enough that they stayed in business, and for some of you guys who don't understand business, just staying alive should be good enough for them. But it's not, nor it should be.

It turns out that spending many millions making games for a couple hundred thousand people isn't really that great for business. Face it, guys. To those who think Crytek is somehow betraying them: they tried it your way, now they're going to try a new way that still pushes the envelope for the platform they're on and they're going to be a lot more successful and get their game out to many more folks than before. But hey, it's the internet so that means they are clearly contard sellouts.

All I can say is, as an avid gamer and enthusiast for all gaming platforms, I am looking forward to what Crytek can contribute to consoles.

Back