CryEngine 3 Demo Video

Why would it be anything other than CryEngine 2 with "massive tweaks"? When you develop a graphics engine, you don't start from nothing, especially if you already have one that you have put many years and many many millions of dollars into. You take the previous generation and you update and optimize it to add new features and (theoretically) improve efficiency.

From the videos, even the HD versions out there, it is difficult to determine actual image quality from all of the compression artifacts...though it is pretty apparent the video was recorded without AA.

Why would it be anything other than CryEngine 2 with "massive tweaks"? When you develop a graphics engine, you don't start from nothing, especially if you already have one that you have put many years and many many millions of dollars into. You take the previous generation and you update and optimize it to add new features and (theoretically) improve efficiency.

From the videos, even the HD versions out there, it is difficult to determine actual image quality from all of the compression artifacts...though it is pretty apparent the video was recorded without AA.

I think what's happening here is that we don't see any huge changes the way we did from CryEngine to CryEngine 2

Of course, now that its a multiplatoform engine, I'd be surprise if its anything more than a tweaked CryEngine 2 that can be scaled down and run on console

Anything more powerful than CryEngine 2 won't run on current gen console anyway, so there's no reason for them to invest in developing something more powerful only to have to scale it down even more for any remote chance of running in on current consoles.

my 2 cents anyway

Why would anyone assume that it's not a new engine? Just because it carries the same moniker doesn't mean it's not built from the ground up. Both id and Epic build engines bottom up. I can understand your point()s), but given the timetable that Crytek is working with, It'd be near impossible to build a new engine in this small window of time. But come on with the jumping down my throat! Not everyone is a Video Card Editor!

I got a feeling cryengine 3 is based off the ports of crysis for consoles. They most likely main it more friendly for consoles.

I thought Crytek was all about being "Cutting Edge" if there going to make this engine for consoles aren't they contradicting themselves? Starting to look more like the Unreal Tournament III engine:rolleyes:

I thought Crytek was all about being "Cutting Edge" if there going to make this engine for consoles aren't they contradicting themselves?

if they keep going only for the high end of pc hardware, they're going to cripple and die from lack of sales. console gaming is huge right now and from a business standpoint, it's only logical to include consoles and increased scalability in their engine. it just means more marketshare for them.

I thought Crytek was all about being "Cutting Edge" if there going to make this engine for consoles aren't they contradicting themselves? Starting to look more like the Unreal Tournament III engine:rolleyes:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032752377&postcount=76

I won't buy this game, but I'll play it for a good 10 minute laugh.

See what a buch of lies! Im glad I agree with this post 100%, Im glad I didnt buy the original , thank god for torrents. Crytek gets what they deserve.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031802987&postcount=214

Ahhahaha, I love getting all you Crysis fanboys up in arms, thank you for paying so much attention to my post though, its very humble of you.

Yarrrr

if they keep going only for the high end of pc hardware, they're going to cripple and die from lack of sales. console gaming is huge right now and from a business standpoint, it's only logical to include consoles and increased scalability in their engine. it just means more marketshare for them.
yeah they just need to keep offering better options on the pc so those with great rigs can crank up the settings way beyond what consoles can handle. that video shows graphics that look almost too good to be actually be able to run on a current console though. obviously Crytek finally got off their ass and optimized their engine. for all you people that think that Cryengine 2 wasnt optimized you are clearly being proven wrong now. hell even I am running a custom config in DX10 64-bit at 1920x1080 that is better looking than the regular game can be to look like while getting better performance too. I certainly could not do that with my gtx260 on Cryteks factory very high configurations.

haha - ya, the beginning of that vid really does look like UT3. The rest really looks like a blander version of CryEngine 2, with a couple really nice looking models they forgot to scale down. I really don't get why they would call this engine 3, since so far it really just seems like a ported optimization rather than a step forward.

yeah they just need to keep offering better options on the pc so those with great rigs can crank up the settings way beyond what consoles can handle. that video shows graphics that look almost too good to be actually be able to run on a current console though. obviously Crytek finally got off their ass and optimized their engine. for all you people that think that Cryengine 2 wasnt optimized you are clearly being proven wrong now. hell even I am running a custom config in DX10 64-bit at 1920x1080 that is better looking than the regular game can be to look like while getting better performance too. I certainly could not do that with my gtx260 on Cryteks factory very high configurations.

Care to post the config? I'd be interested. Best I can get is the regular game at Very High--the configs and texture packs I've tried have all looked worse than the stock settings.

for all you people that think that Cryengine 2 wasnt optimized you are clearly being proven wrong now.

Why's that? (And which engine, the one for Crysis, Warhead or their first working build?)

Why would anyone assume that it's not a new engine? Just because it carries the same moniker doesn't mean it's not built from the ground up. Both id and Epic build engines bottom up. I can understand your point()s), but given the timetable that Crytek is working with, It'd be near impossible to build a new engine in this small window of time. But come on with the jumping down my throat! Not everyone is a Video Card Editor!

My apologies...I had not intended to jump down your throat. Also, I can think of only one engine that id is building/has built from the ground up, that being id tech 5. Epic's unreal engine 3 is an upgrade of UE2.5, which was an updated UE2, and so on and so forth.

These big game engines evolve over many years. Some game programmers don't use a canned engine, and make their own tech, but it is usually not as successful as middleware engines like UE3, id tech, Jupiter EX, etc.

Care to post the config? I'd be interested. Best I can get is the regular game at Very High--the configs and texture packs I've tried have all looked worse than the stock settings.

Why's that? (And which engine, the one for Crysis, Warhead or their first working build?)
well because this new engine looks just as good and is supposedly running better. also the fact that modders can turn out a better looking yet better performing game shows that Crytek really didnt do a good job optimizing especially on the original game.

the Warhead config I am using is this. http://files.filefront.com/CCC+Warhead+v300/;13455184;/fileinfo.html I amusing the highest one available and on DX10 64bit which I originally tried just to see how bad of a slideshow it would be. funny that it looks and runs better than the default enthusiast settings. here are some other tweaks that might be relevant. http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24481&p=1

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

It might not have been built from the ground up (I don't think CE2 was built from the ground up either, but rather it was built upon the first CE), but Crytek must have done some huge modifications to the engine. This engine is supposed to support next-generation consoles and future PC hardware, so it should be very scalable. The engine now supports deferred lighting as well, according to Beyond3D.

It's always hard to tell if the technology has been significantly improved, of if the art assets are simply more interesting and varied, especially in low definition videos. It looks nice but then it's maybe easy to forget just how good Crysis looked in max settings, the few of us that have actually played Crysis in anything close to max settings.

Anyhow it's certainly exciting to see more urban areas, with more limited lines of sight to cut back on the epic view ranges it'd be interesting to see what kind of details they can crank out, the later indoor ship areas in Crysis were really top notch.

The biggest feature of CryEngine 3 is its cross-platform support for the Xbox360 and the PS3. Given that it's been designed to run on hardware that "wasn't powerful enough" for CryEngine 2 games according to the devs (Crysis, Crysis Warhead) one would only assume that the new engine has been optimized for better performance with little in the way of major upgrades to enhance the visuals. Remember that the engine is optimized for consoles that will likely be replaced in 2-3 years times.

if a 7800gtx card which the ps3 has can handle graphics like cryengin 3 and killzone 2, imagine what a 260GTX card can do

Back