Crucial Memory… Never Again.

hywdx80

Gawd
Crucial Memory… Never Again.

I purchased 2x1GB DDR2 6400 Ballistix memory (4-4-4-12) off of newegg some time last winter. I had the memory for a couple of months and then all of a sudden one stick of the two sticks would not pass memtest.

I setup an RMA with Crucial and sent both ram sticks back. I paid around $7 bucks shipping (UPS Ground) and received refurbished sticks that must have passed their QOS. I ran memtest on the new 2x1GB sticks and they passed with flying colors. About 2 months later my system became unstable and after testing with mem-test it was determined that one of the sticks went bad. (I don’t over clock the memory and ran it at a divider/ also testes at stock settings and it failed as well)..

Once again I setup an RMA with Crucial and paid another $7 bucks for shipping the refurbished memory they sent me. I sent both sticks 2x1GB sticks back to crucial.

A couple of days later they sent me back *only* 1 of the two memory sticks. After a couple of emails back in forth with their Direct Sales and Support department they told me to contact them VIA phone. I contacted crucial over their phone and they pretty much was giving the run around how they never make mistakes and always check the packages they received.

The also told me that UPS must have opened the box and stole one of the two sticks and taped the box back up. The rep suggested I contact UPS and file a complaint and go through their insurance. I told them the likely hood of this happening is next to impossible. They transferred me to their supervisor and I left a voice mail. I haven’t heard from them since last Tuesday.

Obviously now the ram is worth next to nothing and can be purchased dirt cheap. The point is I spent $14 bucks of shipping (2 RMA’s), my valuable time and hassle returning this memory not once, but twice, and to not get my 2 sticks back annoys me.

I’m at the point now that I don’t care for the memory and just want people to know what happened in my situation and hope something like this doesn’t happen to you in the future.

that's sad, but the funny thing here is that it just might not have been a memory problem but instead a mobo problem. Your mobo might have slowly fried your RAM, due to a voltage problem.

that's sad, but the funny thing here is that it just might not have been a memory problem but instead a mobo problem. Your mobo might have slowly fried your RAM, due to a voltage problem.

exactly. To anyone reading this, once you've got a 2nd dead set of anything on your hands, test the environment, because at that point its way more likely that something of your's is killing whatever part keeps dieing. I remember I built one guy a computer which went through two seasonic HB380W psus. I tested his wall output with a multimeter and it read 85V. Turned out he had to bring an electrition in to practically re-wire his whole house. I'm actually suprised neither of the seasonic's took out anything like an unsuspecting motherboard or memory.

that said, whats crucial going to do? I betcha that guy on the phone had a sheet infront of him that said "2 in [signature] 2 shipped out [another signature]", and your saying you only got one. How many douche bags do you spose try to scam em like that daily? Its a tough bind. I have personally had three guys now tell me that they only got 2 gigs of memory when I sold them 4 gigs. Of course, these geniuses didn't think that I would ask them to bring back the two sticks... one of these guys actually brought me two sticks of completely unrelated memory (sold him 2X2GB of that sweet patriot DDR2 800 cas 4 stuff complete with the viper heat sinks, he brings me back 2 generic samsung DDR400 sticks :rolleyes:)

DFI P35 dark. Voltage @ 2.2 on stock settings. Right now i have a pair of Gskill ddr2 800mhz 2GBBHZ seem to be working fine for the past 2 weeks. I will keep an eye out for them.

Looking over the board there seem to be a lot of people having problems with the crucial micron ballistix chips and I'm pretty sure anything you get back that has been RMA is refurbished.

why do you need 2.2v on stock settings? I run 4x 1GB sticks at 850Mhz using only 1.925v you most likely don't need 2.2v

(2x Ballistix PC8500 and 2x OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 PC8000)

Not to mention the spec sheets for crucial are more of a maximum rated voltage anyway. As for refurbed from crucial, big deal, crucial is a wholy owned subsidiary of micron. Your getting refurbs from the source essentially. Of course, I'm a bit biased here in boise since crucial is about 2 blocks from my house.

I've used Crucial/Micron memory for years without any issues. Currently I've got Crucial memory in my main machine and its' been flawless so far. Additionally I've used Crucial Ballistix a number of times in my motherboard review test configurations and I've never had any issues with it.

Though my preferences usually for memory are Corsair/OCZ/Crucial in that order.

I have gone through 3 sets of ballistix on my 680i, now i moved the last set from RMA into a dell 530s, kinda a waste but hopefully they don't die.

I've had solid experiance with their RMA tho, gave up on cross shipping because they wanted to put a $199 hold on my CC for ram that sells for $60.

that being said, i'm sure its the board and not the ram, currently rocking some OCZ reapers in it, i'm sure it'll fry those too.

Ive had those same pair of sticks fail on me multiple times. At some point Crucial switched to single sided sticks with different chips and those are failing like crazy. Search around and youll find lots of people having problems with the single sided sticks.

I did 3 rma's before I gave up on them at bought G.Skill. I went through 3 motherboards and 2 power supplies trying to find the reason these sticks were failing and nothing worked. I even replaced my battery backup. The 3rd set I got back I ran at 1.8v which was 1.85 to 1.9v actual and they still failed. Had plenty of cooling on all 3 sets I had so it wasnt heat.

Ive been running my G.Skill memory on the same hardware that the 3rd Crucial set died on for 5 months now without any problems. Those Crucial sticks would all fail within a month or two.

2.2 is way too much. I run my crucial ballistix at 1.8. I believe the reason it says 2.2v is because it can run at 2.2v, not because it needs to. 1.8 is really all you need, anything more shortens lifespan, as you can see.

I have gone through 3 sets of ballistix on my 680i, now i moved the last set from RMA into a dell 530s, kinda a waste but hopefully they don't die.

I've had solid experiance with their RMA tho, gave up on cross shipping because they wanted to put a $199 hold on my CC for ram that sells for $60.

that being said, i'm sure its the board and not the ram, currently rocking some OCZ reapers in it, i'm sure it'll fry those too.

That's your 680i SLI board killing the modules and not a problem with your RAM.

I just wanted to add that I used Crucial Ballistix back in the DDR days because they were so highly recommended. I have 2 useless sticks still sitting in my drawer lol.

Just because the spec sheet say 2.2v dosen't mean you HAVE to run them at 2.2v btw... The specs on my OCZ Titanium VX2 Alpha is 2.35v at 1000Mhz but I know 2.1v is more than enough to be stable after I tested them at that speed.

That Right i run mine PC8000 at 1.8V with 926MHZ. Even though the OCZ say 2.1v. You people are killing your ram because of high voltage. Always start with 1.8v dont start at 2.1 or 2.2v the first time you use your ram. I have a PC8000 at 1.8v no issues even with overclocked cpu at 3.7GHZ Q9450. Bye

Since my e6600 spec sheet says it runs at 2.4 ghz does that mean I run it at 1.8 ghz ?

I think you guys are forgetting the point here... Regardless if you believe it is my 'motherboard' causing the problems there is still a fact that I sent back two sticks to crucial and they only returned one stick.

The specs say 2.2v and i ran them at 2.2v. If they fry with in 2 months at 2.2v it's clearly not good memory.

Since my e6600 spec sheet says it runs at 2.4 ghz does that mean I run it at 1.8 ghz ?

I think you guys are forgetting the point here... Regardless if you believe it is my 'motherboard' causing the problems there is still a fact that I sent back two sticks to crucial and they only returned one stick.

The specs say 2.2v and i ran them at 2.2v. If they fry with in 2 months at 2.2v it's clearly not good memory.

Wrong analogy, it has a range of voltage for your processor, do you automatically take it up to 1.65 volts to run your E6600 at 2.4? That's what you're doing when you take your voltage on your ram to 2.2 to run it at 800 mhz. DDR2 has a default voltage of 1.8, start there and go up.

I agree completley with the O.P., first he got screwed with an RMA, but if crucial says 2.2v's, then the end user should be able to run 2.2v's 24/7 without issue. Those who enable the EPP profile on these sticks are running 2.2v's wether they know it or not.

I to have fallen to the Crucial Ballistix memory sticks problem. I'm by no means tech. So instead of messing with the BIOS is there an brand on memory that seems to be more trouble free than Crucial? I needing to replace DDR2 800 PC6400.

A motherboard dont fry the memory unless its defect. I see lots of people think if a memory manufacturer say 2.1 or 2.2 is max on memory they think its safe. For example a E6600 cpu say max is 1.5v. Does that mean you should run at 1.5v because you think its safe for cpu. I bet the cpu will die right away over 1.5v or in months. Why you dont apply samething to memory voltages. You should start at 1.8v. I will assure you memory will have long life unless stated as defect memory. The max i will go is 2.0v. Even my memory is rated for 2.1 OCZ. Bye

Wrong analogy, it has a range of voltage for your processor, do you automatically take it up to 1.65 volts to run your E6600 at 2.4? That's what you're doing when you take your voltage on your ram to 2.2 to run it at 800 mhz. DDR2 has a default voltage of 1.8, start there and go up.

1.65v is not the recommend volts to push your e6600. I believe the box says somewhere around 1.35v? The point I was trying to make is why would I buy a product and not use it to its full benefits?

The ballistix clearly says "2.2v". Does this mean this is the max/min/recommend volts? Can some one show me on crucial’s website what the correct information is?

I'm sure there I’m not the only one that had to swap in another ram stick (let’s say ddr667 @ 1.8v stock) in order to get back into the bios after I cleared the cmos from a failed over clock because the crucial memory would not boot up at 1.8v.

max/min/recommend volts depends on speed and timings - get CPU-Z and it'll give you a handy timings table for your RAM.

I run the ballistix pc6400 at 1.8v on my p35 ds3l, which is fine for 5-5-5-15 timings at the rated speed. Tighter timings require more voltage - I got them to 4-3-4-11 which required 2.1v, but backed off as the ds3l is yet another board notorious for killing this particular RAM due to poor voltage management.

One stick still died though even nice and cool at 1.8v and I'm RMAing it now. From denying people's rebates on spurious grounds to returning inferior or less RAM for the endemic failures on this RAM, everything I've read lately about the Crucial ballistix has been negative. I'm wondering if I should keep reinforcing defeat by continually RMAing or bite the bullet and buy something proper.

1.65v is not the recommend volts to push your e6600. I believe the box says somewhere around 1.35v? The point I was trying to make is why would I buy a product and not use it to its full benefits?

The ballistix clearly says "2.2v". Does this mean this is the max/min/recommend volts? Can some one show me on crucial’s website what the correct information is?

I'm sure there I’m not the only one that had to swap in another ram stick (let’s say ddr667 @ 1.8v stock) in order to get back into the bios after I cleared the cmos from a failed over clock because the crucial memory would not boot up at 1.8v.

Ballistix runs fine at 1.8v which is the default voltage for DDR2, I've run regular ballistix and tracers in a Gigabyte 975 board, Intel bad axe 2 and an Asus g35, all at 1.8v at 1000 mhz. The 2.2v is the max voltage for the ballistix, just because you chose to run it there and your board doesn't have the greatest voltage regulation, doesn't mean you should blame crucial. It's a known fact that 2.2v kills ballistix if you don't have a good board with good voltage regulation. Look at all the past 680i threads where people were killing it all the time.

Ballistix runs fine at 1.8v which is the default voltage for DDR2, I've run regular ballistix and tracers in a Gigabyte 975 board, Intel bad axe 2 and an Asus g35, all at 1.8v at 1000 mhz. The 2.2v is the max voltage for the ballistix, just because you chose to run it there and your board doesn't have the greatest voltage regulation, doesn't mean you should blame crucial. It's a known fact that 2.2v kills ballistix if you don't have a good board with good voltage regulation. Look at all the past 680i threads where people were killing it all the time.

I'm writing this post because crucial only sent me back 1 stick :cool:

Tell Crucial that they either forgot to include the other DIMM or that they stole from you. It's the shipper's responsibility, not yours, to take care of any problem with UPS (that's what UPS says). File complaints at www.bbb.org and with the attorney general of the state where Crucial is based, and write negative reviews for the product at every merchant's website that allows it. Also file a written complaint to the billing problem address of your credit card issuer because when you bought the memory you bought a lifetime warranty but didn't get one. Also tell Crucial to reimburse you for the $14 in shipping charges.

Never had an issue with Crucial ram except with one stick about four years ago(the stick was two years old at the time) and they sent me a new one within a week. I've used a lot of their memory in my own rigs and other people's rigs and will continue to do so. One of the few brands I will use.

Never had an issue with Crucial ram except with one stick about four years ago(the stick was two years old at the time) and they sent me a new one within a week. I've used a lot of their memory in my own rigs and other people's rigs and will continue to do so. One of the few brands I will use.

I use Corsair, OCZ, and Crucial. That's all I put in my machines.

I just yesterday set up an RMA with Crucial for these same sticks and the tech guy diagnosing over the phone as well as the email they sent me for the RMA specifically stated they have to be run at 2.2 volts.

I use Corsair, OCZ, and Crucial. That's all I put in my machines.

I only use Corsair Dominators in my machines :)

I just yesterday set up an RMA with Crucial for these same sticks and the tech guy diagnosing over the phone as well as the email they sent me for the RMA specifically stated they have to be run at 2.2 volts.

ha!
what do they know!! :p

Yeah, if the manufacturer states it's designed to run at 2.2 volts, then I'd better be able to do whatever I damn well please with the memory at 2.2 volts.

Yeah, if the manufacturer states it's designed to run at 2.2 volts, then I'd better be able to do whatever I damn well please with the memory at 2.2 volts.

as much as the older guys around here know how much i love crucial, i have to agree with this statement. they've been having failure issues with their memory running at their specified settings far too long now, it's really not acceptable.

however, when the sticks do work, holy shit do they overclock... check this out :D

651.png

over 600mhz with just 2.1v, my board reports a bit low
32M-618.1@5-5-4.png

just make sure you keep a lot of airflow over them, keep the drive strength low if you have an option for it, and only use as much voltage as you need for stability. they'll last you a long time if you take care of them.

Just got mine back. Got 8500 double sided as opposed to single :p Sorry to hear about your trouble though.

Back