Crucial M500 480GB - $160

hiptoss

Weaksauce
Amazon Cyber Monday Deal

Crucial M500 480GB for $159.99 - Link

EDIT: Dead.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Holy fuck. Wish I'd held off on the SSD I bought on Friday, haha.

Thanks OP. I'm not sure I should have bought it (I really wanted to wait for 1TB drives to drop, but I can always use some more fast HDs to load large files from :) )

For those who missed this deal. Appears the Sandisk Ultra II is currently $84.99, most benchmarks show the Sandisk Ultra II outperforming the Crucial M500. Buy two Sandisk Ultra II's ~$170.00, possibly better performance, and upgrade other rigs down the road with boot drives?

Thanks.

Thanks OP. I'm not sure I should have bought it (I really wanted to wait for 1TB drives to drop, but I can always use some more fast HDs to load large files from :) )

Same boat, waiting for 1TB to get below $300 and in for 2!

I think the 1TB drives will be my next level where I buy

would love to get my laptop 100% SATA -- it has two M.2 slots and a regular SATA3 internal laptop size hdd..

2X 256 in raid with a 1TB SSD backup drive... too bad that will probably not happen for a long long time lol

I think the 1TB drives will be my next level where I buy

would love to get my laptop 100% SATA -- it has two M.2 slots and a regular SATA3 internal laptop size hdd..

2X 256 in raid with a 1TB SSD backup drive... too bad that will probably not happen for a long long time lol

I could be wrong, but I think it's harder for you, as a consumer, to recover data from an SSD than a mechanical drive. I know I've always been able to recover using tools like Get Data Back from mechanical drives. The one time I lost a SSD, the drive was dead to Windows :eek:

I didn't lose much, since it was an OS drive (I thought OS only, but turned out some recent data files were written there/lost)

Just something to think about.

I could be wrong, but I think it's harder for you, as a consumer, to recover data from an SSD than a mechanical drive. I know I've always been able to recover using tools like Get Data Back from mechanical drives. The one time I lost a SSD, the drive was dead to Windows :eek:

I didn't lose much, since it was an OS drive (I thought OS only, but turned out some recent data files were written there/lost)

Backups are a wonderful thing.

The only reason I would get a 1TB SSD is for it to be my game drive. Otherwise 256GB ssds are just fine for basic OS and other software you run. (IMO.)

You don't lose drives very often do you? :p
Hard drives often become 'dead to windows'.

You don't lose drives very often do you? :p
Hard drives often become 'dead to windows'.

There are normally warning signs when a drive dies. Files become corrupt or the drive starts clicking. And I could have just as easilly said the BIOS didn't detect the drive...and AFAIK, none of my mechanical drives completely died over the the last 25 or so years.

There are normally warning signs when a drive dies. Files become corrupt or the drive starts clicking. And I could have just as easilly said the BIOS didn't detect the drive...and AFAIK, none of my mechanical drives completely died over the the last 25 or so years.

My point was more that hard drives can do the same thing. Also SSDs seem to have longer lives than hard drives (minus a few older OCZs).
Here's an example of something hard drives can do that ssds cant.

My point was more that hard drives can do the same thing. Also SSDs seem to have longer lives than hard drives (minus a few older OCZs).
Here's an example of something hard drives can do that ssds cant.

Not disagreeing with that. What I'm saying is that most platter drives show signs of dying before they go belly up. Please note, I'm talking about this from a consumer POV. In a enterprise situation, nobody is listening to HD's, but they're also massively redundant.
I'm not against backing up to SSD. I'd just want a back up on a mechanical drive too (or keep the SSD backup drive disconnected from power/PC when not backing up).
Damn I'm getting paranoid. Maybe I need to get a cloud backup ;)

Back