Crucial M4 256GB or Samsung 840 250GB

erik8hfr

Weaksauce
I checked most reviews recommend Crucial M4 256GB over Samsung 840 250GB because of flash chip type. Should I buy Crucial one?

Go for the Samsung 840 Pro, not the 840, if you simply want to avoid TLC flash. The 840 Pro has MLC flash, as does the Crucial m4, but the 840 Pro is the better SSD.

The 840 Pro is the better higher end drive out of the 840's....however given a choice between the M4 and the regular 840, definitely go for the regular 840. It is the better (higher performance) of the two. The TLC nand in the 840 is a complete non issue for nearly any mortal. You would have to have an exceedingly write heavy use case for it to be any concern. For any typical use...just don't worry about it.

If there are reviews seriously recommending the M4 over the 840 just because of nand type (MLC vs TLC) they are doing a disservice.

What is the major difference between Pro and Standard 840 line in Samsung?

What is the major difference between Pro and Standard 840 line in Samsung?

As has been previously stated, the major difference is the type of flash memory they use. The Pro uses MLC NAND and the non-Pro uses TLC NAND. TLC is regarded as being "non-premium", if you will.

The Pro also has a killer warranty should anything happen to the it. It is faster too.

I thought the one site had already racked up several years of usage on TLC and it's still running strong ...

going to hijack this thread as its pretty close to one i was just about to create.

Is there a reason to go with the M4 over the M500 if cost isnt an issue? or would you recommend the 840 pro over the both crucial drives?

The motherboard choice should not make any difference.

Is there a reason to go with the M4 over the M500 if cost isnt an issue?

The only reason I can think with cost out of the picture is proven reliability of the M4.

Back