crucial ballistix RMA

ubergeek14

Weaksauce
So a couple weeks ago, one stick of my 2GB dual channel ballistix kit died. today, the other one died. They were both ran at stock speeds and operated at 2.2v that is stated by crucial as their optimum voltage level. Unfortunatly, I don't have the original box they came in or the antistatic bags they were inside, but I can print out the receipt from newegg. Am i screwed from getting an RMA from newegg/crucial because I dont have the original box, or is there some way around it? :(

i dont know about newegg but crucial should take their shitty ram back without the original box.

Same shit happened with me with the same RAM i'm demanding different ram instead of the same shit that will give me errors and crash my computer.

Hmmm, yeah you guys certainly are not the first to voice complaints about Ballistix

And I've swapped out 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix recently (DDR2 6400, the orange ones) not once but twice at Fry's and I'm now on my third set. I got it because it was cheap with a rebate (I still haven't received that yet and it's been nearly 3 months now, so much for that idea) but if this set goes bad I'll never buy a product from Crucial again, that's for damned sure.

wow, i dissapear for a year, and ballistix are STILL crapping out all over the place? pathetic.

too bad they're so damned fast :eek:

651.png

oh well. not much good if you have to replace them all the time

also, use as little voltage as possible and keep good airflow over the sticks. they'll last a lot longer, if not forever that way. 2.2v with normal airflow kills them from heat.

also, use as little voltage as possible and keep good airflow over the sticks. they'll last a lot longer, if not forever that way. 2.2v with normal airflow kills them from heat.

if that's true, then crucial made a big mistake in having them run at 2.2v. would IntelBurnTest be a good test for stability of RAM at different voltages?

When they work they're great, but like a racecar engine they seem to burn up and blow out at a higher rate than lesser performing models

Not necessarily. I've been running mine at 1.8 V and 5 CAS (due to some mobo weirdness) and they failed me after 5 months. Kept getting BSOD, thought it was corrupted windows sys files, tried a repair install of XP and a fresh install on a new HD before I tried swapping out the ram.

I will RMA the suckers, but if they send me the same stuff back I will probably never buy crucial ram again.

Just had one of my sticks die on me last night. I'm in the same boat with the original packaging. I JUST threw it away a couple of days ago too, thinking that I'd never need it. My plan is to buy a different brand of RAM as a replacement. Then, I'll use that packaging to RMA my ballsticx. I really don't care if Crucial doesn't honor the warranty b/c of the packaging, 'cause I am really not that interested in running it in my machine again. Best case is I'll be able to run 2x the RAm until the replacement Ballistix dies again and I'm left with the new stuff I just bought.

I'm in the process of RMAing my pair of Ballistix ram for the 4th time in as many years.

They are crapping out at an average rate of once per year. Unacceptable. I will NEVER buy Crucial products again.

same question as Apdravya82. But now they're 25 dollars with the rebate. Is it a good idea to go with these or the 4gig Patriot kit for 35 dollars with rebate that is also in the hot deals section. thanks.

As long as you have the little barcode stickers on the ram, Crucial will RMA them. You have to ship them to Crucial on your dime.

I just RMA'd 4gb earlier this week (2 x 2gb) for the THIRD time. All you need is the ram itself. Apparently the new ram is rated for 2.0 volts? New build?

I've replaced my Ballistix once. I think it's on its way out again. I usually run corsair as I've NEVER had an issue with their ram.

I am not at all impressed with the ballistix.

I went ahead and bought the Ballistix Memory from Fry's for 86 total with the 50 MR.

Installed the memory and had no problems changing the frequency to 900mhz, with no voltage change. I then ran the Intel Linpack and it said the system was stable.

I'm pretty pleased with the memory so far, we'll see on the longitivity.

I was swapping out some XMS2 corsair modules that I wasn't that impressed with 5-5--5-18.

I've had 2GB of 6400 for about a year now, and I get BSODs a few times a week.

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x71A5DF52 . . . )

Replacing them with 4GB of G.Skill 8500 soon.

Had to RMA my tracers last year, sent them 6400s and they sent back 8000s. No problems with the new set or my other set of non-tracers. Like Eclipse said, keep the voltage as low as possible and make sure they have some sort of air flow.

Last year I bought Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-800 2.2V. I started running them at 2.2 but looked around to see if I could run them lower. I ran them at 2.0V for some time at stock speed but with 4-4-4-12. Currently I have 1.9V at 4-4-4-12 without issue. Actually I get a rare BSOD under XP but not sure if that is the RAM or not.

ive had 2 sets of the old double sided tracers with no problems at all ever... the single sided ones are a different story though lol.. they are terrible.

I just had 4 sticks of ballistix fail on me too. All four went at the same time. One day my machine just wouldnt reboot anymore. Changing to my old 4*512 worked, and two new sticks of 2*2 work, no combination of the old ram, even one stick will even post now.

Two of my four sticks have gone bad over the past two months. One Tracer and one regular.

As long as you have the little barcode stickers on the ram, Crucial will RMA them. You have to ship them to Crucial on your dime.
Yep. Just call them up and they'll give you an RMA number and it's usually a no-hassle experience. I've done it many times, even with non-Ballistix Crucial modules that test badly.

I had two sticks of Ballistix ram fail, and am now running Mushkin in all the machines in the house. Much better.....:cool:

They definitely should take it back especially because of all the problems they have been having with them.

The question seems to be who has not had Ballistix sticks go bad on them this year?

One of my Tracer's just failed the other night. My power went out and and then kept flickering, my PC kept turning on/off. I thought a PC is suppose to stay off when power goes out? BIOS even says to stay off when AC is gone. :c/

Thing is I can't afford any downtime right now. Does Crucial have an advanced replacement policy? Also, I hear the new 2.0v RAM is more reliable then the old 2.2v.

Edit: When Crucial sends the replacements, are they in new packaging?

Damn I wish I did my research before buying RAM for my new system. I bought a 2x1GB DDR2 1066 Ballistix set at Fry's today. I gotta work a 12 hour shift at work tomorrow so I'm gonna loop memtest86 and see how they do. I have 15 days to return them. Does Fry's allow you to pick a different product when return RAM?

Damn I wish I did my research before buying RAM for my new system. I bought a 2x1GB DDR2 1066 Ballistix set at Fry's today. I gotta work a 12 hour shift at work tomorrow so I'm gonna loop memtest86 and see how they do. I have 15 days to return them. Does Fry's allow you to pick a different product when return RAM?

Yeah take them back now before you open the package and its an easy swap out. Do yourself the favor of a 2x2gb kit too.

I work for a major semiconductor company (who make the die that are incorporated into Crucial's sticks of RAM). About three years ago I bought my first Crucial RAM (used...and yes I know, not a good idea) from a Crucial employee. That RAM never worked right from the beginning. I suspect that the employee knew this, but sold it anyway to recoup his loss of using crappy RAM. So, being an employee I thought I would take advantage of the employee purchase on Crucial RAM and get some of the "Best RAM made in the world". Boy, was I wrong. After RMA'ing about eight or nine sticks of Ballistix RAM in the past three years I have switched brands and ordered some G. Skill sticks yesterday.

The amount of time spent troubleshooting Crucial's poor quality RAM and the frustration I have experienced with BSOD's etc has really left me dejected about Crucial products. I will never purchase Crucial products ever again.

Their customer support is excellent and friendly and the warranty is very good as well. But at some point you have to ask yourself, "Do I really need to spend ridiculous amounts of time troubleshooting BSOD's and talking on the phone with Crucial technicians?" My answer is no. As a consumer I just want to buy the RAM and be done with it.

Now I have been told that there may be a problem with my skills as a computer hobbyist or that maybe my power supply is destroying the RAM over time. However, after doing research on newegg.com and here, I have come to the conclusion that many computer enthusiasts have the same problem with Crucial RAM and that it isn't really me, but just a poor product.

Anyway, that is my story in a nutshell concerning RAM purchased from Crucial. I sincerely hope nobody else on this forum has to go through the hassle I have.

Regards,
AbsintheGuy

2 GB of Ballistix PC8500 died on me too earlier this year. All running at the recommended volts and not OC'd.

I had the same problem with some crucial newegg Lanfest Ram that I signed up for an RMA for yesterday, was surprised to see they wanted more than what was on the stick so hopefully I will get my RMA number soon (I used the webform not phone)>

LOL One of my brothers Ballistix sticks just died yesterday.

One of my friends had 6 sticks die on him and they were also ballistix but I suspect his 680i played a part in that.

From their experiences I have steered clear from them.

I had one stick that died on me a 3months ago,fortunatly i had a spare one....cause my mobo doesnt allow 3 sticks to work together...it only worked for like 3days,think static played a role and heat also..those rams needs to be cooled to work well....but i have been runing them for about 3months now and still goin strong at 1.9v since my mobo goes up to 1.95v so it seems stable now.

Back