Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 - Any good? Compatible?

jnick

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the 2GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000
(Model: BL2KIT12864AA1005) kit as the Egg has them for $284.99 shipped! Their suggested retail is $359.99; we're talking about a $75 savings!

It can be seen here

I'm just not sure if this is good memory or not. Now I know the Ballistix line is pretty insane, however I have heard that they have issues with sticks coming DOA.

Also, this will be my new build:

E6600
nForce680i mobo
PC P&C Silencer 750
8800GTX (may stick with my 7950)

With that said, would this DDR2-1000 have any compatibility issues? Do you think it will clock well? Or at least higher than DDR2-800?

Then again, newegg also has this kit for a similar price. Which is better? Would either have compatability issues with the 680i mobos? Once again, how should these clock? Would IO at least get to use them at their rated speeds?

I'm ready to pull the trigger and hold it on the side until build time. I just need some reassurance that this is the a right move?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Holy shit those are a hawt deal! :eek:

Jump on that ASAP man :D

Unbelievably good deal for either!

Tell me about it. I just need to be sure it's 110% compatible with the 680i motherboards. By time I buy the rest of the equipment it will be to late to return the RAM, if need be.

I'd return the mobo, not the RAM if it's incompatible at that kinda price :D

Why are you getting 680i anyway?

You really plan to run SLI?

I have ordered the orange sticks along with 680i, 8800gtx (complete system actually) so I'll let you know how it goes when they turn up. I didn't even see the black LED sticks when I ordered, but now I look, there is something odd - I got a $75 instant discount, and I thought it was $35 mail in rebate just like the black sticks are listed now, but it appears the deal has changed since I ordered on Saturday.

In any case I _was_ going to go with the PC6400 dominators until I thought I would just check out the Black Friday weekend offers prior to ordering - glad I did :)

Oh, Sardonic, I got SLI because while it would be insane to SLI an 8800GTX right now, that won't always be the case - so just like I ensured an upgrade path to quad core, I made sure I could get some nice $300 SLI action when the time comes that the single 8800 GTX starts to feel sluggish.

And er, since my last main computer purchase was 5+ years ago now, I like to make sure I have some upgradability :)

Well, good choice on the RAM.

The Dominator 800 kit nows uses el cheapo Promos chips, so basically it's no better than value RAM with fancy heatspreaders ;)

Crucial should do well for you.

OK, typing this from my new computer, Ballistix posted fine with 680i. I changed the bios ram settings to 2.2v and 1000mhz before I did anything else after post - no point in stressing the matter - then I went about installing the OS.

You should be good to go.

They will clock well because they have Micron D9GMH chips :) Expect 500+ 4-4-4 and 570+ 5-5-5 or even better depending on volts :)

Prowley - Thanks for the info! My RAM was delivered yesterday - They look awesome :p. Now I just need the rest of the system, LOL

Kiwi - Thanks for the information as well. Can't wait to start tweaking these bad boys!

I was thinking about getting this ram too. I was actually thinking about using it with the P5B Deluxe motherboard and the E6600. Is this ram compatible?

hdawg06 said:
I was thinking about getting this ram too. I was actually thinking about using it with the P5B Deluxe motherboard and the E6600. Is this ram compatible?
LOL I have the same setup and am also looking at getting this ram :p

D9GMH works well with the P5B, so there is no reason that this crucial 1000 pair should not work with the P5B.

GO GET IT!!

Back