CRT vs. LCD

sulaco

n00b
I just upgraded my PC and next on the list is my display. I have a very nice 19" Sony Trinitron CRT (HMD-A400) that I am happy with except for one thing, it isn't widescreen. See, I also play PC games and I got to experience the glory that is widescreen gaming for the first time recently and I am hooked!

However, given that I also use this display for all of my high-end photography post-processing, I am wondering if I will loose any quality or ability going from a nice CRT to an LCD? And are these new LCD's capable of the same level of display quality as my CRT? If not, what is the difference?

I have my workflow down to a science now and would hate to have to re-learn so much (or any of it really) due to an equipment change.

Here's the LCD I am looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373

LCD, thinner and ligher.. and if you get a good one its just better! :)

it really depends on what you want to do with it

I own that exact crt and its setting in the closet. Why becuase i upgraded all my crts with lcds so ya i would upgrade. Of course i paid alot of money for my lcds. I own a sony proview thingy the 23 incher. and also the apple 23 lcd and various dells.

Going to a $200 LCD will no doubt look worse than a CRT.

Spend a little more and go with a Sony FW900 widescreen CRT. Better picture quality than any LCD. You say you do high-end photography so you should DEFINITELY stick with a CRT.

I also suggest going with both. I have tried two LCD so far and find find them quite lacking in many ways. I am back to my CRT.

See my post here with my most recently returned panel:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029417156&postcount=47
Noted the color banding. Note the viewing angle anomalies. Without even moving shadow detail visability will change from the center to the sides of the screen.

The VA1912wb is most likely a TN panel with poor viewing angles and 6 bit dithered color. If you have dual outputs on your graphics card. Get this to play games and to hold you tools while doing photoshop, but keep the image on you CRT for consistent color and shadow detail.

Back